F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Possibly bricked my NBT... or not?
Studio RSR

03-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
abc2710
Rep
Drives: BMW 318D M Sport

Possibly bricked my NBT... or not?

I just retrofitted an NBT unit to my 2013 F30. The physical installation was relatively easy, even including the KCAN2 --> KCAN1 rewire. When it booted up first, it seemed to work and as you'd expect Navigation was greyed out. Oddly enough there was absolutely no audio even in radio as well as a "No warning tones" message in iDrive but as it's a US unit and came from a car with HK stereo, I assumed this was due to a lack of coding.

Anyway... I installed E-Sys 3.7.1 and the data files. I had a bit of difficulty initially getting a connection but managed to get over that issue. I followed this tutorial's coding instructions:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1279783

- Connect E-Sys and go to Expert Mode >> Coding >> Read Vehicle Order >> Save >> Edit.
This will take you to FA editor. Right click on FA and select Calculate FP. Expand FAList on left to SALAPA-element.
In the bottom, add 609 and change 6NH to 6NS. Click apply. Calculate FP again. Save.
Go to Expert Mode >> VCM >> Load the saved FA file in the bottom section, file tab >> Right-click FA and Calculate FP >> Go to VCM Master tab >> write FA FP.

The you need to VO code NBT and Kombi as following:
Expert Mode >> Coding >> Read FA (VO) >> Activate FA (VO) >> Read SVT (VCM) >> Left-Click on HU_NBT >> "Detect CAF for SWE" >> Select the latest CAFD displayed >> OK >> Right-Click on HU_NBT (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => CODE.
Initially, I did not do the "Calculate FP" step in the FA coding. Also, I was initially using 3.7.1 in which the "Detect CAF for SWE" button was greyed out. I still tried to code... which unfortunately led to an error
Code:
[HU_NBT - 63 - cafd_00000ded-003_014_012] Transaction type: cdDeploy;  Message: TA started [TRANSACTION]
MCDDiagService<id=62649, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_PerformECUCoding, service=WDBI_PLAIN - WriteDataByIdentifier with unlimited Data-ID (plain hex value), description=error: negative response : requestOutOfRange, link=HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
[] job failed with negative response error: 
 code: repeat job
 description: Service WDBI_PLAIN returned a negative response with response code requestOutOfRange; LinkName: HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET
 severity: ERROR
 [THROWABLE]
[HU_NBT - 63 - cafd_00000ded-003_014_012] Transaction type: cdDeploy;  Message: TA finished [TRANSACTION]
[HU_NBT - 63] -MessageID is used multiple times, so MessageText may be ambiguous-job failed with negative response error: 
 description: Service WDBI_PLAIN returned a negative response with response code requestOutOfRange; LinkName: HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET
 [WARN]
[HU_NBT - 63] - [Exception - HU_NBT - 63] job failed with negative response error: 

[HU_NBT - 63] prepareECUforCoding started [PROGRESS]
MCDDiagService<id=230634, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_PrepareECUforCoding, service=DSC - DiagnosticSessionControl, description=error: negative response : conditionsNotCorrect, link=HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
[HU_NBT - 63] prepareECUforCoding finished [PROGRESS]
[HU_NBT - 63] authenticateECUforCoding started [PROGRESS]
MCDDiagService<id=16727, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_AuthenticateECUforCoding, service=SA_SK - SecurityAccessSendKey, description=error: negative response : serviceNotSupportedInActiveSession, link=HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
 code: service returned global negative response
 description: Service SA_SK returned a negative response with response code serviceNotSupportedInActiveSession; LinkName: HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET
 [THROWABLE]
[HU_NBT - 63] There was an error during TAL execution, please check the log files. [WARN]
[HU_NBT - 63] There was an error during TAL execution, please check the log files. [WARN]
[HU_NBT - 63] - [Exception - HU_NBT - 63] job failed with negative response error: 
 description: Service SA_SK returned a negative response with response code serviceNotSupportedInActiveSession; LinkName: HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET

[HU_NBT - 63] finalizeECUCoding started [PROGRESS]
[HU_NBT - 63] finalizeECUCoding error [PROGRESS]
 code: WriteNCDError
 description: no detailed description available; LinkName: HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET
 [THROWABLE]
 code: WriteNCDError
 description: no detailed description available; LinkName: HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET

[] There was an error, please check the log files. [WARN]
[] - [Exception - HU_NBT - 63] job failed with negative response error: 
I'm completely stumped. The screen is now black and completely unresponsive and i'm afraid i've bricked the whole thing
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #2
abc2710
Rep

Just to note... i've tried the above with just adding 609 and changing 6NH to 6NS. If it's relevant... the donor car the NBT came from likely had a LOT more equipment than my current car including 3AG among others.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 10:29 PM   #3
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, BMW F40 116d

Garage List
Pm me.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 02:43 AM   #4
abc2710
Rep

Cheers for your offer of help ibo24! Thank you.

I actually managed (I think) to fix most of the issues this morning. My old HU_ENTRY had a DAB radio. My NBT retrofit is a SiriusXM enabled NBT unit.

My VO had the 654 option for DAB radio enabled and because the NBT unit doesn't support DAB, it was failing. Once I removed 654, the VO coding worked. Luckily for me, we neither have satellite radio nor a significant radio presence on DAB so I think I can live with that

At the minute, no errors being reported on my KOMBI and and the NBT unit itself is now turning on and the radio works. I'm not so sure my USB port is working as I tried to flash some FSC codes I bought from EBay and it doesn't seem to be doing anything but i'm going to try later on after work.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 03:29 AM   #5
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
If the i-step level of the NBT is later than a certain level then the flash technique may not work. I ran into that problem when I retrofit NBT Evo, I had to use a tool called Feature Installer on a laptop with an enet cable. Whoever sold you the FSC set should be able to help you.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:34 AM   #6
abc2710
Rep

Just an update... both in the hope someone reading may be able to advise and/or for future readers who come across this thread with any of my specific issues

1. VO coding has been relatively easy after I removed the DAB code. Definitely something to consider when cross-fitting a US radio in a non-US car or vice-versa.
2. I coded in 6NR in the VO and saw BMW apps (did not try it). I did not see the internet option so coded in 614 and 616. Now I don't see anything other than service status and hotline (neither work) under ConnectedDrive? I'm hoping this is due to my lacking FSC codes and not because of a VO coding issue but open to any ideas!
3. My USB FSC code flashing is not working at all. I'm not sure but I think I may have incorrectly connected the USB socket. I shaved down around the edge of the port EXCEPT the big retaining click. It fit and it seemed to click in so I thought nothing of it. In this video however, he seemed to completely shave down the port all around. Does that sound right?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #7
RuleNormaliai
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 330E

Garage List
You had to turn USB plug 180 degrees and fit it in, not just put it in place. it's better to buy NBT USB cable than modifying old one. it's a 30 minutes work to remove center console and route the cable
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #8
abc2710
Rep

Just rotated the USB connector and it worked perfectly! FSC codes in the car and now it's just a matter of updating maps and the retrofit is finally finished.

Couldn't get Internet (VO code 614) to work. If I put it in, BMW Apps disappears. If I remove it, BMW apps appears.
Appreciate 0