E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d Intake Manifold Removal

02-29-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
sjobs99
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

335d Intake Manifold Removal

I'm finally getting around to doing a carbon cleaning and am trying to remove the intake manifold with the least amount of pain. The only video I've found is this one, but he cut some cooler & vacuum lines and fully removed the EGR cooler:

That seems unnecessary just to get the manifold off. I'm stuck at the area where the EGR valve and throttle body are connected. I removed the "hose" clamp that connects the EGR cooler to the EGR valve, but do I need to actually loosen the EGR cooler from the engine body to separate them? Know I still need to remove the air intake hose from the throttle valve and unlock the clip holding the wire on top. Any other tips?

TIA!
Attached Images

Last edited by sjobs99; 02-29-2020 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Disconnect the boost hose and move it over to the right. Look under the EGR valve, there's a 10mm bolt that needs to come out in order for the manifold to lift. No need to take the EGR cooler off, but it helps loosening it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
sjobs99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
Disconnect the boost hose and move it over to the right. Look under the EGR valve, there's a 10mm bolt that needs to come out in order for the manifold to lift. No need to take the EGR cooler off, but it helps loosening it.
That did the trick and I didn't have to loosen the EGR cooler. Off to Harbor Freight for a media blaster!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
sjobs99
Rep

Went to use the borescope I bought a couple of months ago and the problem I'm having is the camera has a tiny lip on the end, so every time I put it down the intake to view the valve position, it scrapes a side and gets covered with the black carbon goop.

Is there something I can use to clean as much of the carbon out so I can hopefully get a "clear" view of what's going on in there? I'm not going to pour anything in there, but was thinking I could moisten an old t-shirt with some solvent and stick it down there to clean it? Also, any estimate how far beyond the bend in the intake I need to get in order to view the valve position?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjobs99 View Post
Went to use the borescope I bought a couple of months ago and the problem I'm having is the camera has a tiny lip on the end, so every time I put it down the intake to view the valve position, it scrapes a side and gets covered with the black carbon goop.

Is there something I can use to clean as much of the carbon out so I can hopefully get a "clear" view of what's going on in there? I'm not going to pour anything in there, but was thinking I could moisten an old t-shirt with some solvent and stick it down there to clean it? Also, any estimate how far beyond the bend in the intake I need to get in order to view the valve position?
Why not use the shorter port for reference?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #6
sjobs99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Why not use the shorter port for reference?
I'll give that a shot! I found a local place who said they'd put my intake manifold in their pressure washer. I know I need to remove the EGR & throttle valves and I'll take off all the gaskets, but is there anything else I need to uninstall/remove from the manifold before giving it to them?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:25 PM   #7
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Run boroscope in open port after removing intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
TheBigSwede
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d m-sport- JR stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjobs99 View Post
I'll give that a shot! I found a local place who said they'd put my intake manifold in their pressure washer. I know I need to remove the EGR & throttle valves and I'll take off all the gaskets, but is there anything else I need to uninstall/remove from the manifold before giving it to them?
I suggest removing the swirl flap motor and MAP sensor before washing. You may want to remove the brass and orange bushings as well since they can come loose while washing and it would be a bummer to be missing one when you try to bolt things back up.
Appreciate 0