F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Proper way to mount driver side plastic cover (over the wiper assembly)
proTUNING Freaks

02-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428 F32

I followed a DIY for installing a burger motor sport JB on my car and I just want to make sure that the plastic covering that goes over the wiper assembly in the driver side was installed properly.

It seems like there is a spot that is not completely sealed and I'm not sure if that would leave room for water to get in. Is this thing meant to waterproof?

Could someone shed light on this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Looks bent to me. It's easy to remove, just turn the hex head fasteners and it will lift right off. Once you get it off you'll see how the fasteners hold it down, and the nubs that the fasteners grab. That tells you what you need to know to put it back in place correctly. The last person to put it in place probably didn't fasten it correctly, then closed the hood, bending the trim.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #3
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Looks bent to me. It's easy to remove, just turn the hex head fasteners and it will lift right off. Once you get it off you'll see how the fasteners hold it down, and the nubs that the fasteners grab. That tells you what you need to know to put it back in place correctly. The last person to put it in place probably didn't fasten it correctly, then closed the hood, bending the trim.
Ok so just to clarify that piece is definitely not suppose to bend at all? i thought maybe it was like a contour that was supposed to be there
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:22 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The spot circled in red in the first picture should not be like that.
Appreciate 1
Yiolli25.50
      03-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The spot circled in red in the first picture should not be like that.
I took the cover off and it really looks like it was made with this curve...?

I did install it and it looks a little more snug than the first pictures that I posted. Check out updated pictures. Thoughts ? There's definitely a small area completely airtight
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Yours is a different shape from mine, so it's probably OK. You'll know if it's installed right if there's no bouncing of the trim when you press on it near the latches, and no lifting if you gently pull up on the section that looks like a viaduct.
Appreciate 1
Yiolli25.50
      03-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

It does seem tightly secure it's just the little space that isn't sealed.

Anyone else with an n20 that has a plastic covering not completely sealed like mine is?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:46 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't be concerned about it not being sealed, water is supposed to get under it anyway. There are drains in the sheet metal below it. The main purpose of the trim is to keep other stuff, like leaves, out so they won't clog the drains. I find that leaves still manage to get under there, so I pull the trim off every six months or so and blow the accumulated crap out with a leaf blower.
Appreciate 1
Yiolli25.50
      03-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #9
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't be concerned about it not being sealed, water is supposed to get under it anyway. There are drains in the sheet metal below it. The main purpose of the trim is to keep other stuff, like leaves, out so they won't clog the drains. I find that leaves still manage to get under there, so I pull the trim off every six months or so and blow the accumulated crap out with a leaf blower.
I noticed I had a bunch of leaves down there too! Didn't want to stick my hands in and knock anything loose at the time.

But thanks, the water was my main concern.
Appreciate 0