E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > HELP please! How to store car for 6 months

09-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
simonlai
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

HELP please! How to store car for 6 months

Hi,

Im planning to keep my BMW 335 in the garage for winter and im wondering if there was anything i should do or not do.

any advice would help thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Placey
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 3.0SI

keep a battery tender on it to keep the battery healthy.

You can pick one up at the dealer for less than $100 i believe

08 Z4 3.0SI Black Sapphire/Black Int, 6sp, Sport/Premium --- retired ---
2010 BMW 650GS -- Z4 replacement

Working with the most talented people on the most technically advanced automobiles....
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:25 AM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

store it just like a motorcycle... oil change, full tank of fuel with fuel stabilizer (make sure you run the motor for ~5min so the the stabilizer gets into all of the fuel lines and injectors), battery tender on the battery, cover it with a high quality breathable car cover

Also, for what its worth, even though I did all of the above to my motorcycle I would take it out and ride it (bringing the engine oil up to full operating temperature) whenever the temps were over 36F and the ground was dry/free of salt. (I would refill the fuel tank and add the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer after each ride)

You avoid a LOT of potential issues if you keep the vehicle moving whenever possible throughout the winter

The first winter I had my bike I left it in storage for the full winter, and in the spring I found that the tires were slightly flat spotted, the carbs needed adjustment, and it was hard to start the first couple of times. Each winter after I ran the bike whenever possible and didn't have any storage related issues

Oh, and lastly, make sure you store the car on concrete.. if you store the car over grass/soil/dirt the condensation from underneath will cause a lot of corrosion
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
rlb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, 300ZX

Definitely a battery charger/maintainer. I've used one from Sears for a few years now and it works great. It only cost about $30(model #71220 or 71219). Also, putting the car on jack stands will take the weight off of the tires to prevent flat spots. Put some STA-BIL fuel stabilizer in to keep your gas from breaking down. It would be good to start the engine once a week as well and if possible take it for a drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

Whenever I get deployed I will need to store my car outside in LA for a year. I am not looking forward to that.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post
Whenever I get deployed I will need to store my car outside in LA for a year. I am not looking forward to that.
A year?!? might as well sell the car and invest the money while you're gone.
Appreciate 0