E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Help in deciding to pursue this 335d

02-04-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
Batman2001
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Help in deciding to pursue this 335d

Hi all, I've been looking to get this 335d for sale. It comes fully deleted and tuned. My question is, do you guys thing I should get it? I am an 18 year old who works at GeekSquad of Bestbuy so i make about $750 a month. I dont really need to worry about college since I've gotten a full ride scholarship. Do you guys thing I can afford a $250 car payment? I am a TINY bit mechanically inclined and can follow diy like a hawk. I've been wanting this car for the past 3 years and have litterally made a whole list of probable repairs. Going to do harmonic balancer, belts, water pump, and thermostat, vacuum lines, and pressure converters when I get the car immediately. Other than that, do you think I'd be able to afford it? After those immediate maintaince tasks, I'd have about $1,000 in reserve in a compound interest savings in case of some catastrophic failure. Is my dream achieveable? The car is 10,500 and I am taking a loan of $11,000 with a monthly payment of $250 a month (minimum is $213 but I want to pay more).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:49 AM   #2
Batman2001
United_States
Rep

forgot to add that i only pay for car maintaince, food for me and the girlfriend, and gas.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
CokeZeroRocks
Rep
Drives: Maybe 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman2001 View Post
forgot to add that i only pay for car maintaince, food for me and the girlfriend, and gas.
Don't do it. You don't make enough. It's not what you want to hear, but you don't need to buy your dream car now. Got a lifetime to do that man.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #4
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 / 2011 X5 35d

Garage List
You take and assume a huge risk owning a BMW, maintenance alone is repetitive and very costly for somebody making $750 a month. At your age I wouldn't recommend getting a 335d, these cars can become money pits very quickly; also take into consideration that insurance will be insanely high for you.
      02-04-2020, 08:33 AM   #5
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but you seem to be looking for life advice more than specific car buying advice, so here goes:

You're 18. Life is gonna come at you fast. You think you have it all worked out on paper and right now, the math (seemingly) checks out. To you, paying $250 a month for a car with $1,000 in savings seems like a solid plan. To me, you're throwing one-third of your disposable income at a depreciating asset, saddling yourself with four years of debt, and you only have $1,000 to your name if something in your life goes tits up.

I was 18 once too, and I wish like hell somebody had talked some sense into me when I first felt like blowing a bunch of what little money I had on a car that I felt I just needed to have. I was fortunate that nothing catastrophic happened in my life that left me in a hole that would've taken forever to dig myself out of. But I realize now how easily it could've happened and I also realize that I could be in a much sweeter spot now financially if I hadn't hamstrung myself from such a young age chasing cars, that if I'm honest, were truly outside my responsible financial reach.

A message from future you: Do yourself a favor, and save what money you can as soon as possible. Focus your effort and resources on your education and career prospects so that many years from now, when you get that itch that needs to be scratched, you'll be in a secure financial situation that will allow you to not worry if you're making a potentially ruinous transaction. For now, a car is transportation to get from point A to point B. Being able to boast about how you are building your future life is so much more respectable than bragging about the roundel on the hood or the torque at the wheels. And for god's sake, don't get your girlfriend pregnant.
      02-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #6
Batman2001
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectAce View Post
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but you seem to be looking for life advice more than specific car buying advice, so here goes:

You're 18. Life is gonna come at you fast. You think you have it all worked out on paper and right now, the math (seemingly) checks out. To you, paying $250 a month for a car with $1,000 in savings seems like a solid plan. To me, you're throwing one-third of your disposable income at a depreciating asset, saddling yourself with four years of debt, and you only have $1,000 to your name if something in your life goes tits up.

I was 18 once too, and I wish like hell somebody had talked some sense into me when I first felt like blowing a bunch of what little money I had on a car that I felt I just needed to have. I was fortunate that nothing catastrophic happened in my life that left me in a hole that would've taken forever to dig myself out of. But I realize now how easily it could've happened and I also realize that I could be in a much sweeter spot now financially if I hadn't hamstrung myself from such a young age chasing cars, that if I'm honest, were truly outside my responsible financial reach.

A message from future you: Do yourself a favor, and save what money you can as soon as possible. Focus your effort and resources on your education and career prospects so that many years from now, when you get that itch that needs to be scratched, you'll be in a secure financial situation that will allow you to not worry if you're making a potentially ruinous transaction. For now, a car is transportation to get from point A to point B. Being able to boast about how you are building your future life is so much more respectable than bragging about the roundel on the hood or the torque at the wheels. And for god's sake, don't get your girlfriend pregnant.

Damn......made me rethink..........
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #7
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Sorry, dude. But I respect you for even asking the question to begin with. Most guys your age would just barge ahead without giving it a second thought. Shows me you got good sense in that head somewhere. Put it to good use. Who knows, maybe one day, you'll be back here asking in what color you should buy your Lamborghini.
      02-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #8
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 / 2011 X5 35d

Garage List
Quote:
At least you are thinking and asking questions unlike many people your age. PerfectAce hit the right note.. I wish I had a mentor to teach me financial responsibility when I was your age.. I could easily have triple the amount I have in savings now.

Do yourself a favor and either keep the car you have or look for something that is known for reliability, a BMW is not it.

Since we are giving you financial advise look into the Acorns app for investing, start now!

Last edited by M5_1of400; 02-04-2020 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 05:34 AM   #9
Batman2001
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDemonDM View Post
At least you are thinking and asking questions unlike many people your age. PerfectAce hit the right note.. I wish I had a mentor to teach me financial responsibility when I was your age.. I could easily have triple the amount I have in savings now.

Do yourself a favor and either keep the car you have or look for something that is known for reliability, a BMW is not it.

Since we are giving you financial advise look into the Acorns app for investing, start now!
Opened one yesterday, i appreciate the wisdom. And i decided to keep the camry, thank you guys so much.
Appreciate 2
ddinse4.50
M5_1of400229.50
      02-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #10
Jones68
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d. 2004 M3

Well I hate to counter conventional wisdom and sound advice... but my best memories were being young with my hot rod. Now my best times are being older with my hot hod. Spanked some kid in some sort of lowered, loud, tricked out Genesis thing yesterday. The 335d just surprises the hell out of people....and mines stock! Bye bye.

The maintenance thing with the 335D does concern me a bit...mine has 80K on it no issues. But one fully deleted I think would be generally trouble free as far as the usual suspects, right?

I paid $12K for mine. I figure if I have to dump even $5K into it over the next few years it's still 100 times better than any other $20K car I can think of.

....of course when I was young my hot rod cost $500 total. So there's that....
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

What happened to this thread. It was 2 pages?
Appreciate 0