F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Drivetrain Malfunction
proTUNING Freaks

01-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 6MT

Drivetrain Malfunction

Anyone ever get this error?

Drivetrain Malfunction Drive Moderately Maximum Drivetrain Output not available

I've had it one time before a few months ago. Googling says this is caused by a cylinder misfire. Car went limp mode when I was driving on the highway. I restarted my car however and it seemed to go away and the car was fine. Today it happened again and both cases happened under moderate ~30% acceleration not WOT. However, it the error went away and the car drove fine when I restarted. Any ideas on what it could be? I am running the JB4 MHD BEF setup with catless downpipe. I've tried googling and it seems like just about anything could be the problem. I am thinking it could be the tune or maybe sparkplugs. Thoughts?

Last edited by baldeagleman; 01-30-2020 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagleman View Post
Anyone ever get this error?

Drivetrain Malfunction Drive Moderately Maximum Drivetrain Output not available

I've had it one time before a few months ago. Googling says this is caused by a cylinder misfire. Car went limp mode when I was driving on the highway. I restarted my car however and it seemed to go away and the car was fine. Today it happened again and both cases happened under moderate ~30% acceleration not WOT. However, it the error went away and the car drove fine when I restarted. Any ideas on what it could be? I am running the JB4 MHD BEF setup with catless downpipe. I've tried googling and it seems like just about anything could be the problem. I am thinking it could be the tune or maybe sparkplugs. Thoughts?
I've had this happen twice and both were situations where I believe that some wheels lost contact with the road or lost traction. In one case I was hard accelerating from a stop sign into a left turn and in doing so, crossed the 'crown' of the roadway where it slopes to the left and the right. I believe that one or more wheels lost contact while others may have lost traction. Stopped, turned the ignition off, waited and then restarted with no issues. The other incident was also under hard acceleration and traversed a short patch of dirt where the roadway was removed for construction. I lost traction and had the code come up. Resolved the same way.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sµpreme View Post
I've had this happen twice and both were situations where I believe that some wheels lost contact with the road or lost traction. In one case I was hard accelerating from a stop sign into a left turn and in doing so, crossed the 'crown' of the roadway where it slopes to the left and the right. I believe that one or more wheels lost contact while others may have lost traction. Stopped, turned the ignition off, waited and then restarted with no issues. The other incident was also under hard acceleration and traversed a short patch of dirt where the roadway was removed for construction. I lost traction and had the code come up. Resolved the same way.
Interesting. I don't really want to do anything to the car or bring it to the dealer because I'm sure they'll find some phantom problem. On the other hand I also don't want to break anything. I don't believe I had any traction issues when this happened. Once was on a local road going around 40 and the other was while I was merging onto the highway at around 65-70.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
J3Vr6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (RWD)

I bet if you used your JB4 and scanned it, is the code it tripped 1F053C? Several people have had it with the JB4. It's related to the loss of traction suddenly and the car freaking out. Terry from N54 recommended lowering boost in first and second gear. It seems to work.

This has happened to me several times until I lowered the boost as they recommended. Terry from N54 claims that this sensor was disabled with a BEF, so I'm curious if its the same one.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
les anderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

A million things can cause this.
Appreciate 1
kern4174449.50
      01-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #6
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3Vr6 View Post
I bet if you used your JB4 and scanned it, is the code it tripped 1F053C? Several people have had it with the JB4. It's related to the loss of traction suddenly and the car freaking out. Terry from N54 recommended lowering boost in first and second gear. It seems to work.

This has happened to me several times until I lowered the boost as they recommended. Terry from N54 claims that this sensor was disabled with a BEF, so I'm curious if its the same one.
How do you scan the JB4 and read the codes?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 06:02 PM   #7
SC_B5X
Built Motor F30 340i
Rep
Drives: Built Motor 2016 BMW 340i

JB4 is notorious for causing drivetrain malfunctions. I've yet to get one with MHD.

Also to read codes just go to "Codes" tab on the JB4 app and read them, it'll give you the option to clear them.
Appreciate 1
Supr3me554.00
      01-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post
JB4 is notorious for causing drivetrain malfunctions. I've yet to get one with MHD.

Also to read codes just go to "Codes" tab on the JB4 app and read them, it'll give you the option to clear them.
Bump- I had JB4 installed at the time when both codes were thrown. None since on MHD.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 01:31 PM   #9
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post

Does the JB4 still need to be plugged into my car or can I unplug it and plug it into my computer? Is there some type of internal storage it has to keep codes?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:07 PM   #10
J3Vr6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (RWD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagleman View Post
Does the JB4 still need to be plugged into my car or can I unplug it and plug it into my computer? Is there some type of internal storage it has to keep codes?
I had the Bluetooth module with the JB4, so I can just connect from my phone and see the codes and change the maps. If you don't have that, maybe you can with the MHD App, if you had the BEF.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 06:01 PM   #11
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3Vr6 View Post

+1

Used to get this with the JB4 once in awhile. Hasn't happened since I pulled the JB4 and flashed 13k miles ago.
      02-01-2020, 02:08 AM   #12
sshao
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, F30 340i, F30 330i.

I used to get the same code once about two years ago while the car is bone stock. That night I parked my car into the garage and this code popped up. Restarted the car and the code was gone. No clue what's going on there and brought the car to the dealership the next weekend and they said there was nothing. Never saw that code again since then except during the bm3 flash time.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:21 AM   #13
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Nobody can tell you what it is. It's the equivalent of a check engine light. Scan for codes and/or run logs to see if anything is wrong.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0