E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Code 5089 park/neutral

01-10-2020, 11:58 PM   #1
cm335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Code 5089 park/neutral

Need some help guys, I’m experiencing a code ‘5089’ (park/neutral line does not match transmission position) on my 335d.
So far I’ve tried adjusting the shifting cable and also have inspected the connectors located in the ecu box because I heard this could trigger the code.
Car still drives fine and shifts as normal with no CEL illuminated.. My foxwell scanner still shows this as an active code though. I’m concerned because occasionally the car has not let me put it into any gear, which forced me to do the emergency override to shift into gear (and subsequent limp mode bullshit).
Anyhow, I’d sure appreciate some advice from anyone that knows the cause of his code and what to do to fix it. Thanks very much!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm335d View Post
Need some help guys, I’m experiencing a code ‘5089’ (park/neutral line does not match transmission position) on my 335d.
So far I’ve tried adjusting the shifting cable and also have inspected the connectors located in the ecu box because I heard this could trigger the code.
Car still drives fine and shifts as normal with no CEL illuminated.. My foxwell scanner still shows this as an active code though. I’m concerned because occasionally the car has not let me put it into any gear, which forced me to do the emergency override to shift into gear (and subsequent limp mode bullshit).
Anyhow, I’d sure appreciate some advice from anyone that knows the cause of his code and what to do to fix it. Thanks very much!
This is what ISTA suggests:
1a. If fault is passive:

a) Check plug connections on control module and on transmission for correct detent engagement and loose contacts

b) Inspect wiring harness for:
- Damaged insulation / abraded areas
- Crimping, crushing

c) Continuity check on wiring harness

1b. If fault is active:
Continuity check on wiring harness

2. Replace transmission selector switch.

3. If the fault is still present or the displayed data are implausible, replace GSAW21/56
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 11:24 PM   #3
cm335d
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Mik, much appreciated. Any idea if the transmission selector switch mentioned is the gear shit assembly? I’m going to check this out tomorrow and see if there are any frayed or damaged wires.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Mik, much appreciated. Any idea if the transmission selector switch mentioned is the gear shit assembly? I’m going to check this out tomorrow and see if there are any frayed or damaged wires.
It looks like when they reference the gear selector switch, they mean the shift assembly. But the position sensor is actually within the transmission (gearbox position sensor).

I'd go after the transmission connector first and look for corrosion. Sometimes the seals go bad. There's a repair kit for that which goes well with a transmission oil change.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
cm335d
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Mik,

Thanks again for the info and diagram, that makes more sense now. When you mention the transmission connector, are you referring to the round mechatronic connector? Also, the repair kit you mention, is this just the mechatronic seal that you typically change when changing the trans. fluid, or is it something else? I'm planning to get back under the car this weekend and check things out.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #6
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Yep, the round mechatronic connector. The outer part of that connector can be replaced when the mechatronic unit is pulled. Then there are some 3 round seals and one square looking seal that also should be replaced on the mechatronic unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 07:20 PM   #7
Mike335de92
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d e92

Quote:

Hi, did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue on my 335d.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:33 PM   #8
cm335d
Private First Class
Rep

Yes I did get this sorted. Originally I had just inspected the connectors, but after that didn’t work, I unplugged all of the connections in the e-box, and then reconnected them. Then the code went away and it hasn’t returned. I the connection just wasn’t as good as it should have been. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, all pins were fine too. Try it and see if that helps.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2021, 07:44 AM   #9
Mike335de92
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d e92

Quote:
Yes I did get this sorted. Originally I had just inspected the connectors, but after that didn’t work, I unplugged all of the connections in the e-box, and then reconnected them. Then the code went away and it hasn’t returned. I the connection just wasn’t as good as it should have been. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, all pins were fine too. Try it and see if that helps.
Quote:
Yes I did get this sorted. Originally I had just inspected the connectors, but after that didn't work, I unplugged all of the connections in the e-box, and then reconnected them. Then the code went away and it hasn't returned. I the connection just wasn't as good as it should have been. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, all pins were fine too. Try it and see if that helps.

Cool! Where was the e box located?
Appreciate 0