BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions M550i Order & Qs - Coming from V3 CTS-V

12-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

M550i Order & Qs - Coming from V3 CTS-V

Hello all, I recently ordered:

2020 M550i
  • Mediterranean Blue Metallic
  • 20" M Double-spoke wheels, style 668M with high performance non run-flat tires
  • Ivory White Nappa Leather with contrast stitching
  • Grey Poplar Wood trim
  • Dynamic Handling Package
  • Luxury Seating Package
  • Parking Assistance Package
  • Leather Dashboard
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Floating Center Caps

MSRP was just north of $86K, and I got the 36/15K/$2K lease to $980 aft tax monthly payments. I'm happy with the deal.

I'm coming of a 640HP V3 (current gen) CTS-V. I LOVE this car, but GM quality and service make it really hard to hold on to it after the lease. I'm also on my 2nd set of front tires, and 4th set of rears, currently PS4S in 305. I had a CT6-V on order since April, but the lease on that vehicle was around $1,500, and after all the issues I had with waiting I finally cancelled that order and went with an M550i described above.

When I test drove the M550i, I never hammered it. I normally respect vehicles that I don't own. The car seemed quick and I figured it's worth a shot if I wanted to stay on a sub $1K lease this time around.

The CTS-V handles great, especially on the track. Yes, the rear will step out on the street, but if driven right the car handles better than any sedan I drove to date sans the new M5, and there's power literally everywhere. I'm intentionally not driving the M5 so that I don't end up getting it and blowing my budget.

I have a few questions:
  • How bad is the turbo lag on the 2020 M550i and can it be reduced with a tune/piggy? Any ideas when those are coming out for 2020?
  • I know M550i is not an M5, but will the DHP bring M550i closer to M5 handling?
  • 2020 has the new single resonator exhaust, so do the axle back exhaust options sound better than what they were on pre 2020? I haven't heard many exhaust clips for 2020 yet.
  • My CTS-V came with everything most people would ever need. It is the first car that I did not have to mod other than for tires. I'm trying to not look at all the CF parts available for the M550i, because I wanted to stay on budget, else I could have just gone with the base M5. That said, what are the CF and other after market essentials in your opinion lol?
  • Lastly, has anyone else come of a higher HP car into the M550i, if so, how did you adjust?

Last edited by bMm5w; 12-22-2019 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #2
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

My previous car before getting a 2018 m550i was a TTRS and I also did not test drive it hard as well. When I first got the car, the only thing that disappointed me was just the handling which I assume will disappoint you as well if you've tracked the CTS-V. Honestly, my mom's cayenne handles much better than a stock m550i lol. BMW put really narrow 245 tires in the front of this super heavy 2000kg sedan for some reason. I highly suggest you fit much wider tires in front, like 275 or 265, and the grip will be as good as your CTS-V or maybe even better. Lowering the car also makes steering feel better but the most important upgrade is definitely front tires.

I am not sure about the turbos of the 2020 version so I cannot help you on that, I assume the engine is quite different since it makes way more power. Don't believe the people who say it's about the same power as the old engine, it definitely makes 10% more power both before and after any tunes. All I know is that the pre-2020 engine has no turbo lag above 2500 ish rpm.

For exhaust, your options are quite straight forward. The one resonator setup is quite respectable and i would not consider it quiet at all. If you want louder, you just remove the one resonator for cheap and you get more sound!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

There is no turbo lag.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjackson View Post
BMW put really narrow 245 tires in the front of this super heavy 2000kg sedan for some reason. I highly suggest you fit much wider tires in front, like 275 or 265, and the grip will be as good as your CTS-V or maybe even better. Lowering the car also makes steering feel better but the most important upgrade is definitely front tires.
Does what you say also apply to 20" wheels with non run-flat summer performance tires?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
There is no turbo lag.
There was definitely some turbo lag on both '19 and '20 that I drove, especially when compared to the supercharged large displacement engines. Hopefully it is less in Sport and Sport Plus modes, and hopefully there will be something aftermarket to reduce the lag further.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:48 PM   #6
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjackson View Post
BMW put really narrow 245 tires in the front of this super heavy 2000kg sedan for some reason. I highly suggest you fit much wider tires in front, like 275 or 265, and the grip will be as good as your CTS-V or maybe even better. Lowering the car also makes steering feel better but the most important upgrade is definitely front tires.
Does what you say also apply to 20" wheels with non run-flat summer performance tires?
Yes, m550i only comes with a 245F 275R combo from the factory
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
There is no turbo lag.
There was definitely some turbo lag on both '19 and '20 that I drove, especially when compared to the supercharged large displacement engines. Hopefully it is less in Sport and Sport Plus modes, and hopefully there will be something aftermarket to reduce the lag further.
In sport plus mode turbo's are primmed ready to blast. Comfort mode your dealing with multiple gear changes and kinda sluggish. In sport or sport plus in my eyes it's waiting for you to hit it. Super chargers are instant and I feel these cars are the closest to instant power like superchargers are.
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
In sport plus mode turbo's are primmed ready to blast. Comfort mode your dealing with multiple gear changes and kinda sluggish. In sport or sport plus in my eyes it's waiting for you to hit it. Super chargers are instant and I feel these cars are the closest to instant power like superchargers are.
Plus the CTS-V has a much bigger displacement. I don't think it is reasonable to expect the 19 M550 to have that punch, haven't driven the 20. . That's M5 stuff. I drove the M5 at COTA...there is definitely no turbo lag there, either! But the nice thing about turbo cars is they can be tuned, if you want to do that. However, if your not satisfied with the 20 M550's performance, why not just get the M5? You are going to spend the money anyway, sounds like.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Just a reminder...the sport & sport+modes aren't actually the cherry on top (they're more like the whipped cream the cherry sits on . )...remember that the transmission has an "extreme" sport mode that is initiated when you move the gear shift lever into the M/S gate and leave it there (not using the manual steptronic shifting).

This mode has a shift map that was designed to maximize the engine's power resources with longer shift patterns....so when you add this feature when using the sport or sport+ modes...you can should be able to squeeze a little bit more from the car's resources (tranny, engine, steering, suspension, & dampers).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 07:39 PM   #10
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Plus the CTS-V has a much bigger displacement. I don't think it is reasonable to expect the 19 M550 to have that punch, haven't driven the 20. . That's M5 stuff. I drove the M5 at COTA...there is definitely no turbo lag there, either! But the nice thing about turbo cars is they can be tuned, if you want to do that. However, if your not satisfied with the 20 M550's performance, why not just get the M5? You are going to spend the money anyway, sounds like.
I'm not expecting M550 to have the punch of my CTS-V, I was just wondering about reducing the turbo lag in general. But it sounds like I just need to wait for the car to get here and try out all of the different modes first, just like you guys suggested.

Reason I didn't get M5 is because I wanted to keep the payments under $1K. After owning cars that were much more it felt like a responsible thing to do, especially after 2020 got 520HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just a reminder...the sport & sport+modes aren't actually the cherry on top (they're more like the whipped cream the cherry sits on . )...remember that the transmission has an "extreme" sport mode that is initiated when you move the gear shift lever into the M/S gate and leave it there (not using the manual steptronic shifting).

This mode has a shift map that was designed to maximize the engine's power resources with longer shift patterns....so when you add this feature when using the sport or sport+ modes...you can should be able to squeeze a little bit more from the car's resources (tranny, engine, steering, suspension, & dampers).
Yeah, need to try all these modes first. I think I just drove in comfort on the test drive. Comfort in CTS-V is still brutal and will spin 305 tires in 3rd from dead stop, I guess it's just different on the M550.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 07:44 AM   #11
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

I understand, did the same thing myself. The full M cars have M buttons where you can fully program engine, exhaust, transmision, and suspension modes which all activate with the touch of that one button. With the M550, you can program engine, exhaust, transmission and suspension changes to happen with the touch of the sport button, but you must also slip the shift lever to the left to get the most agressive map from the transmission. If you touch the button programmed to sport plus, and slip the lever to the left, I think you will find no turbo lag, and a very motivated machine with performance which is very impressive. Good luck with your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 03:09 PM   #12
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If you do need more power and punch just get a nice modest tune. I have Evolve stage 1 and it's big difference, I had the Dinan V2 and that was a great tool too. Nothing has the instant punch a supercharger gives you, but in sport plus with lever in sport mode like I said above it's prepped and spooled waiting for you to hit it. Probably 90% as quick to apply/punch you as your CTSV did. With your 2020 with power upped, you'll be happy, and if you tune you'll be surprised what a monster the car is.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 01:52 AM   #13
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There is no turbo lag.
There is minimal turbo lag, but it's there and is you don't think it's there drive an M5.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #14
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you do need more power and punch just get a nice modest tune. I have Evolve stage 1 and it's big difference, I had the Dinan V2 and that was a great tool too. Nothing has the instant punch a supercharger gives you, but in sport plus with lever in sport mode like I said above it's prepped and spooled waiting for you to hit it. Probably 90% as quick to apply/punch you as your CTSV did. With your 2020 with power upped, you'll be happy, and if you tune you'll be surprised what a monster the car is.
I am looking for a tune that I can put on and take off myself, or a piggy, but haven't seen anything for 2020 yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #15
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It takes 2-5 min to flash your own car. Ethernet cable and your laptop.
DME I've seen good feedback over the years and spoken with him, haven't personally used his tune in my new car or last M5,
Or email Irman or Mateen at evolve. Check out Irman a vids in his M5 with his tune doing Vmax with the F90 M5. Great video, really accommodating to work with when they set me up with tune on this car.

Appreciate 0