E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > My Day at EVOLVE - 335i Remapped!!

08-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
My Day at EVOLVE - 335i Remapped!!

Went to see the boys at Evolve today up in Luton to have my E92 335i remapped and my GP Thunders fitted. What a day!!! First of all i have to say what fantastic chaps the Evolve boys all are. In my humble opinion Sal, Imran and Sultan are all gods and i love them!!! Does that give you an indication of how happy i am with the results of my remap!!?? They spent a huge amount of time with me and the car and talked me through every part of the process. I felt really involved. They really are bloody nice guys and seriously know what they are talking about. They did a number of dyno runs with the car as it was pre remap. My car has a full Milltek exhaust system, but apart from that it is stock in terms of engine mods.
(Ive asked the Evolve guys to upload the maps on here for you all to see) The first few runs were very impressive and showed around 322 bhp with the Milltek - which if you assume the car would have been around 306 bhp out of the crate then the Milltek definitely does what it says on the tin!! As ive said before - i highly recommend the Milltek system for the 335. My only issue with it is its too quiet for me but equally it suits the car and there is almost zero in car drone/boom with the stereo off.
So, we were all pretty happy with those figures. Then came the remap. After a some technical issues were sorted and resolved and the guys were happy with everything the remap was uploaded and the new dyno runs started. After each run, the guys would check the data and then tweak and make adjustments accordingly. The car never left the dyno all day and it was given more than sufficient time between each upload and run to properly cool down etc. I wont bore you with all the different runs and figures. The final map that was chosen, which incidentally wasnt the highest bhp figure gained, was the map that gave the best torque and that read 367.4 bhp!!
After Sultan had fitted the GP Thunders, Imran and i went out for a drive. The car felt amazing and just pulled and pulled and pulled. I then let Imran have a drive back and he said he was extremely impressed with the 335i's performance. I would be lying if i said it was night and day, but oh my goodness is it fast and i can definitely tell a vast difference from before the map was done.
I was extremely impressed with the guys at Evolve and cant recommend them highly enough. Courteous, polite, friendly, informed and very professional. I will be enjoying a long term business relationship with Evolve and i can see us also becoming good friends, which i think speaks volumes.
The best bit was the drive home to Chigwell where i got a proper chance to test the car. It really, genuinely blew me away at times - and im not exaggerating. I have the auto and i found on the way home that in normal D mode you need to plant your foot to get the full benefit - but in DS... Oh my god its like a rocket!! It just launches forward with such force and the power just keeps on coming. The guys have also taken the top speed limiter off - so heaven knows what its capable of top end now. All i can say is thank god the brakes are so impressive as standard on the 335. Very very happy and its re-ignited my enthusiasm for the car - im definitely not selling it now and will be working inconjunction with Evolve to make the car even more special - so watch this space!!
Finally, i just want to say a huge thank you to Sal, Imran and Sultan - you all surpassed my expectations. Thanks also to Sultan for the great lunch and allowing me to have the full fat coke!! Also, it was a real pleasure to meet Julian (jude1) today who was passing and popped into Evolve. Really nice guy and what an awsome 335d saloon he has!!
Day ended on bit of damp note for me though - needed a quick wee before heading home and my bloody mobile fell into the toilet - luckily Evolves toilets were very clean and i hadnt started weeing before it fell in. The phone is still drying off as i type!!
Apologies to Carlos, Baris & Hiten - sorry i didnt make the Ace Cafe meet chaps - i didnt leave Evolve til late and then couldnt call you as my phone was dripping wet!!! Looking forward to seeing you Friday at Snetterton!!
Attached Images

08-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Great write up Steve, any idea what your 0-60 time might be now?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

VEry very cool... I am ever more tempted to spend on a remap..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sorry i posted so late - didnt get back home til gone 7pm and then i had to walk the dog, play with my baby daughter, eat dinner with my beautiful wife and read my emails!! Umm, ive no idea what the 0-60 time will be now but without any doubt it MUST be quicker - it launches like a muther funster!!! Santa Pod is calling me thinks!!!
      08-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
That sounds very quick and quite fun I should imagine Do enjoy!

What else have you planned?

"Launches like a muther funster... Santa Pod is calling" - It's Carlos in disguise, it's got to be! Bought a petrol and not revealing it until Friday..........

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Car is hopefully being "wrapped" alpine white/carbon fibre roof next week - then i want to get Quaife LSD fitted, front mounted inter cooler, oil cooler, maybe new alloys, get rid of H&R springs and fit coilovers, hand built rear silencer for some more sound, lets see how we get on with that little lot!!!!
      08-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Car is hopefully being "wrapped" alpine white/carbon fibre roof next week - then i want to get Quaife LSD fitted, front mounted inter cooler, oil cooler, maybe new alloys, get rid of H&R springs and fit coilovers, hand built rear silencer for some more sound, lets see how we get on with that little lot!!!!
Project! Yay! We'll make a good Classic Car owner out of you yet.

White cars go faster, fact.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
XKaLiBaR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Dude what happened to you tonight!?

EDiT: just read the massive post. dam dude you got 13 bhp more than me!! you dropped your phone in the loo dude! we kept tryin to ring you, but it was like you had no reception.
Intercooler, oil cooler, LSD and coilovers will make your car awesome dude. However dude, you might need to upgrade the brakes. not just for braking but for the looks!
Mods ListAP Racing BBKs, Bilstein PSS10 , Rogue Engineering Pulleys, RTM and Transmission Mounts, Eibach ARBs, Supersprint LightWeight Race Muffler, Miltek 100 Cell Cats, Recaro Pole Positions, Aluminium Brushed Trim, Csl Steering wheel, Imola Red Arm Rest, CSL Diffuser, 10mm Eibach Spacers, Depo Indicators, Custom blacked out front grills, Carbon Fibre Side Grills, Custom UUC ClutchStop, CSL OEM Bootlid, V-CSL Bumper,
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 02:21 AM   #9
Jude1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Good to meet you Steve and great results, what was your final torque figure?

I agree with what you've said about the team at Evolve, great bunch of guys who put the customer first and keep you involved with what is evolving with your car.

I'll have to get along to one of the meets in the near future as it would be good to catch up with some like minded enthusiasts.

Jules.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 02:25 AM   #10
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

congrats on the remap, any thoughts on upgrading the DP's? of course the breaks should be redone first if you want to live..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 02:31 AM   #11
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Excellent work. I agree with the comments posted about Evolve and customer service - they've clearly got that sorted out. Although I haven't had the pleasure of meeting any of them, Sal kindly sent me some 6k D1S bulbs to test and I still haven't got round to fitting them (my bad ) Sal has not hassled me at all.

Sal - it is still my intention to get this sorted but I've been busy. Please let me know if you want them back though and I'll send them right away.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 02:39 AM   #12
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Sounds like a good result then. I'd be interesting in hearing what the torque figure was?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 03:13 AM   #13
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Finally a challenger to the DXB!!

Congrats Steve!! Looking forward to tomorrow!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 04:05 AM   #14
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Thanks for the kind words Steve. Look forward to seeing you and the 335i again.

I will post graphs up shortly. David "Sal" Bailey has been off sick this week so got lots of work to catch up on. Will post some of his pics up too.

The final torque figure was around 410 ft/lbs IIRC. It feels very quick - will be interesting to see what 0-60 1/4 miles it can achieve.

We have some Racelogic timing equipment here but have not had the chance to use it yet. I think a group trip to Brunters is in order.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 04:09 AM   #15
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Need to see the DXB v Bay's 335i at the Pod - now that would be worth watching!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 04:38 AM   #16
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Have to say again - the car feels ballistically quick. Some may think the bhp figures we gained from yesterday are a little conservative - but i honestly told the guys NOT to massage my hp ego, im really genuinely not interested in bhp boasting in the slightest - i adamantly wanted the car kept within safe parameters and most importantly to maintain its driveability etc. The guys at Evolve listened to me and over delivered in my opinion. The car drives as normal when you are off the gas and just cruising. BUT, when you hit the throttle all hell brakes loose. There is a distinct and vast difference in power delivery and speed impression post remap - so i definitely feel value for money - ive always been disappointed with previous cars ive had remapped. Also, my remap is a custom remap which again is important. The figures i was MOST impressed with on the day were the "stock" figures pre remap - which proved just how good and effective that Milltek system really is. The other figure that impressed me, forget the bhp gains, was the torque figures post remap were very impressive and its that thump of extra torque that you feel in my car now. To give you a very quick example, i was doing around 80mph in the middle land of the M25 last night coming home and i noticed some xenons approaching very quickly in the fast lane. As it got closer i noticed it was an E46 M3. I hovered my foot over the throttle but held my speed at 80mph. As he went past in the outside lane, i guess at around 100mph, i planted my foot (bearing in mind i was in D and not DS) and my car kicked down and within a split second i was alongside him and then a split second later i was effortlessly pulling away. I could tell he had dropped down a gear as he saw me accelerate but i just left him standing - and he was easily doing 100mph as he came past me. I pulled away so quickly that within a few seconds i was so far ahead of him with zero sign of him catching me that i actually felt sorry for him and pulled up. He came alongside me and with a huge look of disbelief gave me a disheartened thumbs up!!! Bless him!! My 335i is bloody quick and im back in love again, simple!
      08-28-2008, 07:03 AM   #17
Black Sapphire
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Impreza WRX STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
Need to see the DXB v Bay's 335i at the Pod - now that would be worth watching!
+1

Come on guys, get it arranged!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #18
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
Glad you had a god trip to Evolve, might be time to get some new rubber on order Look forward to seeing the graphs
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 07:25 AM   #19
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
JoeyFiasco - in my line of work "DP" means Double Penetration - so to answer your question.... i love DP's!!! However, i doubt thats what you meant??? What are DP's in relation to cars as opposed women!!??
Crimson - im getting my KDS alignment done later today fingers crossed - but yes i may well be in dire need of new rubber after tomorrow at Snetterton and before the Ring trip next saturday!!!
      08-28-2008, 07:29 AM   #20
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
FIRST 335i IN UK TO BE REMAPPED!!

Forgot to mention - Evolve told me yesterday that my 335i is the FIRST in the UK to be remapped - thats pretty cool, huh!!? Sorry Tony, pipped you to the post by a few days, hear youre up there on Monday!!! Will be interesting to see what yours gives out pre and post remap with your FMIC.
      08-28-2008, 07:46 AM   #21
XKaLiBaR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

what you think by you pulling away from a n00b non red M3 (red ones are the quickest )driver that im no match for you tomorrow punk?
Mods ListAP Racing BBKs, Bilstein PSS10 , Rogue Engineering Pulleys, RTM and Transmission Mounts, Eibach ARBs, Supersprint LightWeight Race Muffler, Miltek 100 Cell Cats, Recaro Pole Positions, Aluminium Brushed Trim, Csl Steering wheel, Imola Red Arm Rest, CSL Diffuser, 10mm Eibach Spacers, Depo Indicators, Custom blacked out front grills, Carbon Fibre Side Grills, Custom UUC ClutchStop, CSL OEM Bootlid, V-CSL Bumper,
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 07:49 AM   #22
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Sounds good Steve mate. You should get into the 12's with that power.

Cya tomorrow.