E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Help please - 325d cold start issues

11-08-2019, 06:02 AM   #1
Bryan996
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Help please - 325d cold start issues

I hope someone can help me with this as I'm at my wits end trying to fix this fault!

For the last 5 or 6 winters the car has major hesitation at around 2000 rpm when first started in the morning. This fault only happens when the outside air temp drops to about 8 C or below, so runs fine all summer. I've posted a video on you tube showing the issue (
), but basically on a partial throttle the engine hangs at 2000 revs for a few seconds then revs fine. It only happens once then is fine until the nest day. It causes a problem as I live on a busy road and often need to pull out sharpish. If I leave the car running for a while to warm up the problem also isn't there.

Last winter I tries to resolve the issue and changed:
fuel filter
glow plugs
glow pug relay
air filter
air mass sensor
air temp sensor
egr and main thermostat
MAP sensor

Ive cleaned the throttle and egr valve. I also removed the turbo actuator and turbo isnt stuck and actuator seems to be working fine. It feels as though there is a restriction, such as in the exhaust, but why would that only be an issue in the winter? I do have a supechips bluefin remap but its easily removed and the problem is still there after reinstalling original. The dashboard outside temp reads correct so I haven't changed outside air temp sensor. The car does have a high mileage so I have tried premium diesel and also a fuel cleaning additive but they have had no effect. I'm now thinking that maybe the glow plug wiring might be faulty and the preheating not working but last time I asked friends at my local interdependent there wasn't any fault codes. There's also no lights on the dash.

I'm grateful for any advice and pointers, especially as if you've seen this before, as I'm completely stumped. thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Daaaaaaaang.

Appreciate 0