BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Almost STOLEN (illegally towed) vehicle... what to do?

08-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Almost STOLEN (illegally towed) vehicle... what to do?

Ok,

I woke up at around 2am today to my alarm growing fainter and fainter. My girlfriend said some car was probably in the process of being stolen, so I peer out the window to see my e90 GONE from my parking spot. I immediately phone 911 to report my stolen vehicle and 2 patrol cars come to my apartment within 8 minutes... I give my report and tell them what happened, and my girlfriend said that it was probably stolen (towed) because she didn't hear my car start...

As I was giving my report, this tow truck comes and I ask if they towed my white bimmer. Surely enough, they dumbly respond, "yup." I asked why the f*ck they towed my car (to the point where the cop had to tell me to calm down), and they said that I was illegally parked without a permit in the apartment lot... I tell the officer that I've been parking here for a year with my permit GLUED to my windshield, and we take a ride to the tow-lot. When we get there, SURELY F*CKING ENOUGH, my permits on my windshield. The cop tells me and lectures the two numbnuts that my car was illegally towed, and as far as he was concerned, the car was "stolen." Then, i inspected my car (which was f*cking towed on dollies -- with the front jacked up and the two rear wheels riding on wheels) and find that my suspension is a little off. I did the "finger" test -- which entails me sticking two fingers between the rear tire and the wheel well... After doing my test, i find that the driver's side rear is sitting about half a finger width high, and the passenger side half a finger low. I tell them that my car's not sitting right, and although the f*cking incompetent p.o.s illegally towed my car, he has the nerve to tell me I'm full of shit... So i went off -- until the officer told me again to calm down.

Anyway, I get home at around 4am with my police report. I plan to go to BMW of Towson to get my car inspected for any problems etc. The cop told me that my police report was all that I needed to file a civil courts case. Any suggestions? What would you do?

Btw, I'm in Baltimore, MD. And on a final note, I strongly recommend getting the OEM alarm because the Tip sensor is what notified me of my car being stolen...

ps. after driving the car around for about 30 minutes, the suspension seemed to have settled to their normal positions.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
Ok,

I woke up at around 2am today to my alarm growing fainter and fainter. My girlfriend said some car was probably in the process of being stolen, so I peer out the window to see my e90 GONE from my parking spot. I immediately phone 911 to report my stolen vehicle and 2 patrol cars come to my apartment within 8 minutes... I give my report and tell them what happened, and my girlfriend said that it was probably stolen (towed) because she didn't hear my car start...

As I was giving my report, this tow truck comes and I ask if they towed my white bimmer. Surely enough, they dumbly respond, "yup." I asked why the f*ck they towed my car (to the point where the cop had to tell me to calm down), and they said that I was illegally parked without a permit in the apartment lot... I tell the officer that I've been parking here for a year with my permit GLUED to my windshield, and we take a ride to the tow-lot. When we get there, SURELY F*CKING ENOUGH, my permits on my windshield. The cop tells me and lectures the two numbnuts that my car was illegally towed, and as far as he was concerned, the car was "stolen." Then, i inspected my car (which was f*cking towed on dollies -- with the front jacked up and the two rear wheels riding on wheels) and find that my suspension is a little off. I did the "finger" test -- which entails me sticking two fingers between the rear tire and the wheel well... After doing my test, i find that the driver's side rear is sitting about half a finger width high, and the passenger side half a finger low. I tell them that my car's not sitting right, and although the f*cking incompetent p.o.s illegally towed my car, he has the nerve to tell me I'm full of shit... So i went off -- until the officer told me again to calm down.

Anyway, I get home at around 4am with my police report. I plan to go to BMW of Towson to get my car inspected for any problems etc. The cop told me that my police report was all that I needed to file a civil courts case. Any suggestions? What would you do?

Btw, I'm in Baltimore, MD. And on a final note, I strongly recommend getting the OEM alarm because the Tip sensor is what notified me of my car being stolen...

ps. after driving the car around for about 30 minutes, the suspension seemed to have settled to their normal positions.

dammmmmmm son! what assholes!

Glad you heard the alarm, I would've slept right through and in the morning would've gone fking crazy!

Wow....hope you get everything settled man
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
dumb shits. as long as its back to normal its fine, can't imagine the process of going through all the shit if the suspension messed up.
      08-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Take the f*ckers to the cleaner if you ask me. These numbnuts towing companies are getting too greedy and aggressive these days. Also, find out if anyone called them to tow your car (if any - like a management company or parking lot monitoring co.) and extend them the same treatment. That should teach them well.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
IWearScrubs
Doctor Awesome!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Sedan 6MT Jerez and Fox Red

The cops should have arrested the tow truck driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

WTF can you do if something like this happens?

Truly fucked up story...
      08-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

BMWs are tuned for the driver to be in the car. In other words the left side is raised slightly to take into account your weight. Normal, but don't tell them that.
      08-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Take the f*ckers to the cleaner if you ask me. These numbnuts towing companies are getting too greedy and aggressive these days. Also, find out if anyone called them to tow your car (if any - like a management company or parking lot monitoring co.) and extend them the same treatment. That should teach them well.

I agree. Maybe someone you ticked off, called the towing company to get even with you. Investigate that as well.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
BMWs are tuned for the driver to be in the car. In other words the left side is raised slightly to take into account your weight. Normal, but don't tell them that.
Nooo wayy! Is this true??

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
no.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #11
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Dang thats crazy man, well at least the good thing is they didn't put a dent somewhere on the car. Now that would have blown.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
damn good thing you heard that.
I would have really sucked to have woken up and seen your car gone and having no idea where it was.
Lucky you saw that towtruck too.
Sorry to hear you had to deal with this BS
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

I bet a lot of money that they were really trying to steal it.

Great ending to a crappy story. Go celebrate with some crabs from Gibby's, followed by a trip to Wells' Liquors on York Rd.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #14
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
dumb shits. as long as its back to normal its fine, can't imagine the process of going through all the shit if the suspension messed up.
Yea... I saw them tow a civic on a bed, and since it was on park and the parking brake was on, they just pryed (pried?) it off the bed... f'ing douches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Yea... I'm going to bring it in to service and see if anything is wrong... it doesn't seem like it though (thank god). Also, no one called the tow company because my parking permit was on... those shitbags just stole my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWearScrubs View Post
The cops should have arrested the tow truck driver.
Just a goddamn lecture on how they're slacking and the cop bitched them out for having to deal with this horseshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Good advice... and no, if something is wrong, i won't tell them that

Quote:
yes... unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
no.
agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPaulBaiLeyx View Post
damn good thing you heard that.
I would have really sucked to have woken up and seen your car gone and having no idea where it was.
Lucky you saw that towtruck too.
Sorry to hear you had to deal with this BS
Actually, I was half asleep and was sleeping through it. On the other hand, my girlfriend heard it (from the 8th floor!!!), and she even suggested that someone towed it bc she didn't hear my car start. Superwoman ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I bet a lot of money that they were really trying to steal it.

Great ending to a crappy story. Go celebrate with some crabs from Gibby's, followed by a trip to Wells' Liquors on York Rd.
They tow everything anytime they get the chance... it blows because they didn't even look for the f*cking permit sticker... they were just in a rush to get the F*ck out of there because it was a nice car. F'cking wastes of lives. And they had a "chop" shop where the machines were going off -- but i wasn't allowed to look there; also, i was way to busy bitching them out.

On another note, I'm actually getting ready to pick up crabs from Conrad's crabs and I already picked up some Guiness from Hopkins Deli

Anyway, sucks this happened, but i'm glad it's resolved. It's such a waste of my time.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #15
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Talk to the tow company owners. If they had no call, they had no reason to be in there. If not, it's theft, file an additional complaint with the PD.

If you go the civil route, remember the stress we ALL had to endure
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #16
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i SG

In LA, someone has to ok the tow, as in the paperwork for the tow clearly states who authorized and your required to have ID and the driver will write it down. I'm not sure if its the same in Baltimore, but someone should have called and executed the tow. If the paperwork is missing then you already have 1 up in the case. On top of the police report showing what happened you are in the right. It's really up to you whether or not you want to pursue a civil case, but I'm not sure that the work to go Civil will really put you in the up. HOWEVER, if you are a person of principle then sue these guys for all its worth, because if your of principle. Many rich/successful ppl will still sue people if its a matter of principle and the overall outcome isn't always positive.

Personally I would talk to the police and ask what I should do since I'm sure that they will need to testify or be part of the case. They have pretty level heads and deal with cases like this. Then go find a lawyer if you feel like pursuing this. I would sue them and I definitely would look into suing my landlord as well since they are the people that give the okay for towing here in Cali.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #17
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznshrek88 View Post
In LA, someone has to ok the tow, as in the paperwork for the tow clearly states who authorized and your required to have ID and the driver will write it down. I'm not sure if its the same in Baltimore, but someone should have called and executed the tow. If the paperwork is missing then you already have 1 up in the case. On top of the police report showing what happened you are in the right. It's really up to you whether or not you want to pursue a civil case, but I'm not sure that the work to go Civil will really put you in the up. HOWEVER, if you are a person of principle then sue these guys for all its worth, because if your of principle. Many rich/successful ppl will still sue people if its a matter of principle and the overall outcome isn't always positive.

Personally I would talk to the police and ask what I should do since I'm sure that they will need to testify or be part of the case. They have pretty level heads and deal with cases like this. Then go find a lawyer if you feel like pursuing this. I would sue them and I definitely would look into suing my landlord as well since they are the people that give the okay for towing here in Cali.

the landlord here already gave the "ok" to tow so long as someone DOESN'T have a permit. My car was illegally towed... nonetheless, i don't think i'm the type of person to sue if there is no physical damage... but as we already know, KARMA'S A BIIIIITCH. F*cking scumbags.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #18
NumberSix
Veloce
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future X1???

Sure it wasn't a theft that got caught in the act...wouldn't be the first time.

Tow truck tows, owner doesn't say anything (cause he doesn't know) and car can't be found next day.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #19
crxb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002

had a civic towed much like yours

parked the right place, but towed anyway

tow truck driver put a hole in the radiator

500$ to repair
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #20
K330i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Talk to the tow company owners. If they had no call, they had no reason to be in there. If not, it's theft, file an additional complaint with the PD.

don't know about maryland but in tennessee it's the same way

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
the landlord here already gave the "ok" to tow so long as someone DOESN'T have a permit. My car was illegally towed... nonetheless, i don't think i'm the type of person to sue if there is no physical damage... but as we already know, KARMA'S A BIIIIITCH. F*cking scumbags.
that is probably illegal......someone has to sign the reciept for each tow.
ask the tow company who did.

if someone got me out of bed @ 2am and kept me up for over 2 hours that someone is going to pay!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 10:20 PM   #21
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
What assholes...... Glad you got your shit back safe and sound...
      08-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #22
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
no.