BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Need advice on dogs

08-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Need advice on dogs

Okay so my family has been looking to get a puppy/dog for a while now and have been look at some breeders for puppies and also local shelters to possibly adopt a young adult.

We just got back from looking at some puppies and my brother and dad were like "oh let's take if home now. let's buy 2!" It was a house and it didn't look like a breeder's place to me. I was told that the lady was breeding her dog with another one. I asked for the paperwork for the shots and stuff and she said her sister has it (which she could get tonight since her sister is coming over).

Anyhow, I kept insisting that I don't want to buy from there and we shouldn't buy them. But they were like "oh it's okay they raised them so it should be fine." It pisses me off sometimes how they can be so involved in shit and not think it through. We're getting a 5 month old dog and a puppy for $300 which IMO is a little weird considering that they didn't ask us any questions (which is something true breeders do).

I would rather pay more (considerably more) for a good dog rather than one from a "backyard breeder". So am I correct in thinking so or am I just paranoid?

I told them that if they want to buy the dogs then that's fine but I'm not going to have anything to do with it (not my problem).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Seems backyard to me.

What is your family looking for though? You want a true breeder, but them? If all of you want a true purebred and one who was raised under strict breeding conditions then you should all walk away imo. But if they're happy and just want a dog, then that's another thing and this seems perfectly acceptable...keep in mind, you might still get a very good dog this way (comes down to more "luck of the draw" though in my mind).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Main thing is don't support places that don't take proper care of the dogs and have no respect for breeding standards. If you get a bad vibe, move on.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

yeah you might be a little paranoid but move on. you would rather have a headache free pup than a damn hassle. just dont get overly excited since it is a cute little puppy. What kind of breed is it....
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Yeah I was looking at maybe a beagle, havanese or pomeranian. I wanted a bigger dog but besides my dad and one brother, everyone else just wanted a small one...so we compromised. lol

They got 2 pomeranians today- one is supposedly 5 months old and it's about the size of a beagle and the other is about 6 weeks (what kind of a breeder sells a dog at 6 weeks??). I was tired of trying to convince them not to buy so I gave up (the other day they were going to buy another dog from a pet shop).

The 5 month old one is jumpy as hell. I was sitting there watching TV earlier and it just jumped at me all of a sudden (kind of startled me there). I just wanted to vent a bit cus I don't really give a shit anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #6
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

i got my pup at 12 weeks and i thought that was too early. pups can be a pain in the ass but it pays off when they are older
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 01:25 AM   #7
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

There is no question that is a backyard breeder and a poor one at that. No papers, no shots, no contract and no home inspection = backyard breeder. Any serious breeder will at least want a contract signed and some form of home inspection to make sure that you are giving the dog a good home. If they don't ask then they are not a serious breeder, period.
Appreciate 0