BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum ConnectedDrive Overreach Issue 1

08-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
rickyr17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M850i Vert (G14)

Garage List
ConnectedDrive Overreach Issue 1

I've had a couple issues with my ConnectedDrive. It seems to be pretty intrusive. The 1st issue I noticed a few months ago and have been fighting it ever since. The car started to ask if I wanted to navigate to work or home. I really don't need help going home from work or vice versa. Unfortunately, once it learns the routes there is no way to turn it off. It's stored on your profile on the server somewhere and cannot be removed. I've gone to the data privacy settings in the car and disabled the learn route item. I've called multiple times to the assist and genius hotline. I've had the car at the dealership where they've wiped the profile from my car. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the app from my phone and deleted the data. No matter what I did, as soon as I connected to my online profile it would ask me if I would like to navigate to work. To this point the only way to remove that prompt is to open the phone app and remove the activities from my phone 1st thing in the morning. Yes, I've tried to remove the app and it still asks. I need the app in order to turn the notifications off.
On further investigation, this appears related to the ConnectedDrive+ service that comes with the car. I've called to have that removed. It's currently with BMW AG IT department. Hopefully they'll remove the service and the problem will go away.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyr17 View Post
I've had a couple issues with my ConnectedDrive. It seems to be pretty intrusive. The 1st issue I noticed a few months ago and have been fighting it ever since. The car started to ask if I wanted to navigate to work or home. I really don't need help going home from work or vice versa. Unfortunately, once it learns the routes there is no way to turn it off. It's stored on your profile on the server somewhere and cannot be removed. I've gone to the data privacy settings in the car and disabled the learn route item. I've called multiple times to the assist and genius hotline. I've had the car at the dealership where they've wiped the profile from my car. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the app from my phone and deleted the data. No matter what I did, as soon as I connected to my online profile it would ask me if I would like to navigate to work. To this point the only way to remove that prompt is to open the phone app and remove the activities from my phone 1st thing in the morning. Yes, I've tried to remove the app and it still asks. I need the app in order to turn the notifications off.
On further investigation, this appears related to the ConnectedDrive+ service that comes with the car. I've called to have that removed. It's currently with BMW AG IT department. Hopefully they'll remove the service and the problem will go away.
Can't you just go to settings in the Connected app and disable push notifications? Then your phone won't ask.

My phone asks but it's no big deal to just ignore - plenty of other noise on my notification screen I ignore.

If you still want it on notification screen but no pop up on your phone, I am reasonably certain you control that in the phone (not app) notification settings.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #3
rickyr17
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Can't you just go to settings in the Connected app and disable push notifications? Then your phone won't ask.

My phone asks but it's no big deal to just ignore - plenty of other noise on my notification screen I ignore.

If you still want it on notification screen but no pop up on your phone, I am reasonably certain you control that in the phone (not app) notification settings.
I don't want it on the car notification screen. I've removed the app from my phone and it still shows in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

I have non of these issues. I have never seen a notification from Connected on either phone or Z4 and I have notifications NOT turned off.
      08-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
rickyr17
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
I have non of these issues. I have never seen a notification from Connected on either phone or Z4 and I have notifications NOT turned off.
In the car, if you go to the Data Privacy settings there are some settings for Connected. The last checkbox is to learn routes. I had that turned on. Is yours on? If not, do not turn it on. I turned mine off a couple months ago but it didn't help because the car already learned the routes and wouldn't unlearn them.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #6
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
In the car, if you go to the Data Privacy settings there are some settings for Connected. The last checkbox is to learn routes. I had that turned on. Is yours on? If not, do not turn it on. I turned mine off a couple months ago but it didn't help because the car already learned the routes and wouldn't unlearn them.
I need to check
      08-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't want it on the car notification screen. I've removed the app from my phone and it still shows in the car.
It’s in the car, but only for a couple of seconds, I believe on top of the screen, and then goes away? I may be misremembering, but don’t think I had to cancel or press no or anything to make it go away. It doesn’t bother me, not much different than any other ‘startup’ info that goes away after a couple seconds (like all the alert lights coming on for self test, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
rickyr17
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
It’s in the car, but only for a couple of seconds, I believe on top of the screen, and then goes away? I may be misremembering, but don’t think I had to cancel or press no or anything to make it go away. It doesn’t bother me, not much different than any other ‘startup’ info that goes away after a couple seconds (like all the alert lights coming on for self test, etc.).
If I make multiple stops on the way home it would pop up each time I start the car. It goes away but the notification number stays there until I delete the notification. I use the notification number to tell me if I have any text messages on my phone. That's actually how I noticed it. I thought it was a text but turned out to be the notification to navigate to work/home. I guess I'm a bit OCD. Once I noticed it I was completely bothered that I couldn't get rid of it.
Appreciate 0