BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-28-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Text Messages Read Aloud---SOMETIMES!!

Just picked up my wife's 2019 X3. It did not come with the wireless charging option. Thus there was no visible way to know when you received a text message. So like I did with my 2018 4 series I had BMW office coded in. Now when a text message arrives their is a small envelope icon in the upper right corner of the screen and the notification tile has the number 1 showing. When I highlight the notification tile the text message is displayed. The problem is when I highlight the horn symbol to the left the text message is sometimes read aloud and sometimes it is not. This also happens on my 4 series. We both have Iphones with the latest updates and all the settings including "show notifications" are checked. Has this happened to anyone? If so, were you able to resolve the issue? Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by J-RO; 07-28-2019 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

I found the solution! I noticed that the text messages were always read aloud when the radio/entertainment system was on. After some experimentation I realized that if you turn on the volume after receiving a text and press the horn icon the text messages will play aloud. The side effect of this is that the radio/entertainment system also comes on. Apparently there is no separate volume control to read the text messages. I feel like that Seinfeld episode----IT WAS THE VOLUME!
Appreciate 0