E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Non Starting E90 320d

07-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
Manxforever
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Non Starting E90 320d

[FONT="Times New Roman"]
Can anyone help me. I had my car diagnosed and fault code came up "No fuel pressure in common rail." Checked both electric fuel pumps both working okay. Decided to change high pressure fuel pump. Before doing so I checked that the fuel pipe going to the fuel rail was not blocked. All okay still no fuel getting to the fuel rail after changing high pressure pump. Tried replacing injectors again still will not fire up. Tried disconnecting wiring to HP pump again still no fuel getting to the fuel rail. Does anyone have any idea what on earth has gone wrong with my car. I am into it so deep now. Please please if you have any ideas they would be most welcome, I am at my whits end.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 03:30 AM   #2
N52bigblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxforever View Post
[FONT="Times New Roman"]
Can anyone help me. I had my car diagnosed and fault code came up "No fuel pressure in common rail." Checked both electric fuel pumps both working okay. Decided to change high pressure fuel pump. Before doing so I checked that the fuel pipe going to the fuel rail was not blocked. All okay still no fuel getting to the fuel rail after changing high pressure pump. Tried replacing injectors again still will not fire up. Tried disconnecting wiring to HP pump again still no fuel getting to the fuel rail. Does anyone have any idea what on earth has gone wrong with my car. I am into it so deep now. Please please if you have any ideas they would be most welcome, I am at my whits end.
I know you said that the electric fuel pumps were working, but did you check they are supplying the correct pressure? The fuel pressure going into the HP pump fromthe tank should be 4.5 bar. Electric fuel pumps can still "work" and pump fuel but not create enough pressure.

Also what year is your 320d? There are a couple of different engines that come in them depending on what year the car is. Does your car have an electric pump in the tank and another underneath the car around the passenger seat area?

If you have a scan tool you should be able to check the pre supply fuel pressure in the DDE.

Last edited by N52bigblock; 07-27-2019 at 04:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
Manxforever
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Thanks for the feedback. Had the car diagnosed in a garage. They told me that the only fault that they could find was no fuel pressure in the common rail. So I can only take it that if the fuel pressure was low prior to the high pressure pump that it would also have flagged up a fault code. I just started with the electric pumps thinking that they may have been at fault. Trying to fix it myself not wanting to pay BMW their exorbitant rates. But the amount of money I have now put into it I might have been better off just letting them do it. Oh for the days when a competent D.I.Y.er could fix things.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
N52bigblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxforever View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Had the car diagnosed in a garage. They told me that the only fault that they could find was no fuel pressure in the common rail. So I can only take it that if the fuel pressure was low prior to the high pressure pump that it would also have flagged up a fault code. I just started with the electric pumps thinking that they may have been at fault. Trying to fix it myself not wanting to pay BMW their exorbitant rates. But the amount of money I have now put into it I might have been better off just letting them do it. Oh for the days when a competent D.I.Y.er could fix things.
If the pre supply pressure is low it doesn't log a fault code.
Appreciate 0