THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Door Panel Creak

07-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
Kobylash
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp 6MT

Door Panel Creak

Hey everyone, I've done some research and haven't found too many references to this specific creak so I figured I'd ask and see if anyone has experienced this and managed to fix it.

When getting out of the car I usually pull the handle and give the door a push with my arm/elbow on the side of the door armrest at the same time. About 3k ago (I'm at 10k now) the door panel started to make a very obvious and annoying creaking sound when I pushed on it to open it. Grabbing the door handle while the door is closed and giving it a pull will also emit an annoying creak.

Has anyone else experienced this? I previously had a used 2014 F30 so I'm aware of BMWs interior quality (or lack of), but this is a new car with less than 10k on it so I'm a bit surprised.

If anyone has had this issue, how did you fix it? Did you get it fixed under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #2
Kobylash
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp 6MT

I'll leave an update in case anyone else encounters this.

I got the dealer to take a look at it while I was in for an emissions related recall (DME flash). They ended up taking the door panel off, finding one broken push screw. When they reassembled it they used a combo of silicon spray and as they called it anti-creak tape (which I assume is felt tape) around any possible contact areas including the window switch. They also used all new door clips when reassembling.

Final result is the sound is gone completely!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

It will probably come back. My door panel and steering wheel cover can be little creaky when heavier pressure is applied to either when getting in/out of the car. It only happens when the temperatures exceed 75 or so. It started doing this about 1 year into ownership. Those are the only creaks/rattles I have which I think it impressive considering the car is over 3.5 years old.

This is by far the most rattle/creak free car I've ever owned. Prior cars were mostly Japanese offerings from Honda, Nissan, Infiniti, and Subaru. My $47K (bought new) M235 feel much more robust and substantial compared to all of those cars. I also rent lots of cars/SUVs for work (usually full size, $30-40K MSRP type sedans and SUVs) and my M235's build quality is generally notches above those cars in most all categories. Some are good at giving the illusion of substantial/quality only to be met with really light and hollow feeling parts. I don't subscribe to the idea that late model BMWs are cheaply and low quality considering what I've experienced previously over the past 30 years of owning and driving cars. If I had owned fancier BMWs prior I may feel differently perhaps.