E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question about the door locks.

07-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #1
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328XI

Question about the door locks.

My doors would unlock or lock with my remote or button in the car. I found the problem was a fuse and replaced it. None of the doors would open when locked. I couldn't even open them from the inside. The only way I could get out was by rolling down my driver side window and putting the key in the lock to unlock it. It was a pain to change the fuse because I couldn't get the passengers door open. Would this be a major safety issue if there was an accident and the power to the battery was damaged? No one would be able to get out.

Is there a trick to getting the doors open when this happens?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Style View Post
My doors would unlock or lock with my remote or button in the car. [Do you mean "would NOT unlock..."? -- If so had everything (remote, dash button, door key, etc.) worked OK until some event occurred, and if so WHAT happened when would NOT unlock?] I found the problem was a fuse and replaced it. [WHAT fuse number & Amps) did you replace?] None of the doors would open when locked. I couldn't even open them from the inside. [Did you try "double-pull" on door handle? -- First pull unlocks that door, 2nd pull opens, NO electrical input required.] The only way I could get out was by rolling down my driver side window and putting the key in the lock to unlock it...Is there a trick to getting the doors open when this happens?
There are TWO fuses that supply power to the JBE for the Central Locking Relays on your 2007 model: F56 & F57, both 15A, per these TIS schematics for Central Locking Drives and Central Locking Inputs:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...tlputs/dWHzxgC
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...inputs/dPBLOhG

If your doors are locked at this time, and your remote key will NOT unlock any of the doors, then use the mechanical key to get in the driver seat, reach over to passenger door interior handle & pull that handle twice. If that door does NOT open, post back.

If passenger door DOES open, check F56 & F57 ELECTRICALLY, and replace if NO continuity across fuse spades. After installing good fuses in F56 & F57, test: (1) remote lock/unlock, (2) mechanical key lock/unlock (Turn Counter-clockwise TWICE -- 1st time unlocks driver door, 2nd time unlocks other doors), (3) Dash button lock/unlock, and (4) each door lock plunger and door handle double-pull.

If one or both fuses were blown, you may have a wiring or lock motor fault which will blow replacement fuse(s), so test functions as described above if ANY fault recurs and also let us know if you have, or have access to, ANY BMW-specific Scan Tool or Software, such as INPA.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
Mayorie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
There are TWO fuses that supply power to the JBE for the Central Locking Relays on your 2007 model: F56 & F57, both 15A, per these TIS schematics for Central Locking Drives and Central Locking Inputs:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...tlputs/dWHzxgC
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...inputs/dPBLOhG

If your doors are locked at this time, and your remote key will NOT unlock any of the doors, then use the mechanical key to get in the driver seat, reach over to passenger door interior handle & pull that handle twice. If that door does NOT open, post back.

If passenger door DOES open, check F56 & F57 ELECTRICALLY, and replace if NO continuity across fuse spades. After installing good fuses in F56 & F57, test: (1) remote lock/unlock, (2) mechanical key lock/unlock (Turn Counter-clockwise TWICE -- 1st time unlocks driver door, 2nd time unlocks other doors), (3) Dash button lock/unlock, and (4) each door lock plunger and door handle double-pull.

If one or both fuses were blown, you may have a wiring or lock motor fault which will blow replacement fuse(s), so test functions as described above if ANY fault recurs and also let us know if you have, or have access to, ANY BMW-specific Scan Tool or Software, such as INPA.

Please let us know what you find,
George
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep

I figure out what fuse it what but none of the doors would unlock by double pulling the handle or by using the key fob or using the lock/unlock button on the dash. Basically if I was locked in the car unless I rolled the window down and unlocked it by putting the key in the drivers side lock.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 12:43 AM   #5
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I had my locks blow and a similar thing happen. It’s lretty stupid actually. They should default to unlocked. It’s a major potential safety hazard if you’re in an accident and need to get out of the car quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGT81 View Post
I had my locks blow and a similar thing happen. It’s lretty stupid actually. They should default to unlocked. It’s a major potential safety hazard if you’re in an accident and need to get out of the car quickly.
That was my thought. I was hoping there was some sort of trick to get the doors to open. It was hard to change the blown fuse without being able to open the passengers door.
Appreciate 0