E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Power Window Will Not Close, Goes Back Down

07-13-2019, 12:00 AM   #1
JValenzSD
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 e90 335i/'11 Ducati 848EVO

Power Window Will Not Close, Goes Back Down

I’m having a hard time with my driver’s side window. Whenever I pull up on the switch to close it, it would go all the way up then when it fully closes, it goes back down. I searched and tried the reset method by holding the switch in down or up position for certain amount of seconds. I also tried the unplugging of the regulator inside the door and then reconnecting it while holding up to close, it just goes back down again.

It’s as if the anti trap feature kicks in when it’s fully closed. I left my battery disconnected as well and that didn’t help.

Do any of you have insight to this? It’s driving me crazy. It started happening right after I had the battery disconnected for weeks while I was swapping in another engine.
Speedtech PTE6266CEA Gen2 1.0 A/R T4 Divided, MHD E30, Fuel-It St2, Fuel-It TBI, Tial MV-R, ER CP/BOV, CX-Racing FMIC, 2.5" SS Straight Pipes w/resonators, External PCV w/ Plugged Head, GFB GF3, 4port MAC, PR IM, Ohlin's R&T DFV, M3 Bits, TMS Al SF, MF Diff Bushings, Whiteline PU TA Bushings, ECS RTA, MF 3.46 LSD, RL 75w140NS, Eibach M3 ASB, ECS 2 Pc CD/S Rotors, Hawk HPS+, ECS SS Lines, Motul Dot 5.1, NGK 95706
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 01:35 AM   #2
N52bigblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JValenzSD View Post
I’m having a hard time with my driver’s side window. Whenever I pull up on the switch to close it, it would go all the way up then when it fully closes, it goes back down. I searched and tried the reset method by holding the switch in down or up position for certain amount of seconds. I also tried the unplugging of the regulator inside the door and then reconnecting it while holding up to close, it just goes back down again.

It’s as if the anti trap feature kicks in when it’s fully closed. I left my battery disconnected as well and that didn’t help.

Do any of you have insight to this? It’s driving me crazy. It started happening right after I had the battery disconnected for weeks while I was swapping in another engine.
I had the same issue after replacing my FRM. I solved my issue by carrying out the initialization procedure in ISTA. I think INPA also has this feature
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JValenzSD View Post
I’m having a hard time with my driver’s side window. Whenever I pull up on the switch to close it, it would go all the way up then when it fully closes, it goes back down...It started happening right after I had the battery disconnected for weeks while I was swapping in another engine.
As others have stated, you need to "Initialize" any window that does NOT operate properly using the "One Touch" mode of operation. While INPA or ISTA are handy to have, you can do Initialization just using the window buttons. See Bentley 512-19 & 20 (pp. 692-693 of pdf linked in attachment, E9x References).

The procedure is also found in TIS per the following link, although the translation of the Last Step is a bit awkward:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ulator/HmL0y0i

The Procedure requires "Deleting" or "Erasing" the prior initialization, and then performing a NEW Initialization. Here is the Bentley Procedure for the LAST step, which is a bit hard to follow in TIS:
Performing initialization
- Fully close window by pulling the switch so that the top end stop is
reached (normalization).
- Open the window completely so that the lower end stop is reached.
- Pull the control switch into one touch operation mode, close (one
touch operation, close) position and hold it there until the window
has reached the top end stop (learning the characteristic curve).
The initialization was successful if the window can be opened and
closed without faults in one touch operation mode.
NOTE-
• Windows will move in small increments if not initialized.
Also if the Anti-Trap feature is preventing closing, you can use "Panic Mode" and "overpull" the switch TWICE within 4 seconds, which over-rides Anti-Trap, as described in Bentley at 512-5, p.678 of pdf.

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 37 views)
Appreciate 0