E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Ticking at low speed NOT tied to RPM

07-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
TylerDR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90-328xi, 2001 E46-330xi

Ticking at low speed NOT tied to RPM

Hi guys,

I’ve been on a mission to diagnose and fix all the weird issues with my E90. I’ve done a ton of searching on this and have not been able to find a significant amount of info that coincides with my symptoms.

When I start the car cold and take off there was this tick, tick, tick sound with low speed turns. Initially I ignored it because it would go away after a little driving. Then I started to notice it in parking lots. Then I started to notice it just driving in a straight line.

It does NOT increase with RPM. It increases in frequency with speed. It will increase up until 20-25MPH. Then it either goes away or is just happening so fast I can’t distinguish the individual ticks.

Also after the car has been driven for about 20 minutes the clicking seems to go away and only reoccurs when turning at slower speeds.

So my thoughts are potentially brake rotors/pads. It’s one of the big things on my to-do list because when I bought the car it had been sitting in storage for quite some time. The first thing I noticed was the rotors being in bad shape, that said there is no squealing or heavy vibration under breaking that would be a sign of bad brakes. Outside of that I don’t know suspension/diff systems well enough to speculate on whether or not that could also have something to do with it.

Any help as always is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0