E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 adaptive headlight too low

07-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
Ironhead Dave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i X-drive

E90 adaptive headlight too low

About a year ago I hit a big pothole and got the dreaded lazy eye on my left headlight. I took the light out and snapped the rod back on and the light functions correctly now. The problem I have is that it will not adjust high enough. I have the adjustment screw as far as it will go and it is still low. The right side will adjust high enough but the left will not. I talked to a local indie if he had seen anything like it and he has not. He thought that maybe it could be adjusted with a scanner possibly. I looked through my scanner and found just about anything I could think of but I couldn’t find anything about headlights. Would it be called something else? Is it possible to adjust them by plugging in? I have a BMW specific scanner and also INPA.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Put your car in reverse and observe the headlight position.

With the screw as you describe the light should be pointing fairly high while in reverse.

If not then you still have a mechanical problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Ironhead Dave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i X-drive

The light functions correctly as far as I can tell. When i turn on the car, both headlight move down and then back up but the left one does not go as high as the right. When I had it out to reattach the bar, I checked that everything moved ok and didn’t bind up. I was wondering if it were possible for the mechanism to skip a tooth when I hit the hole and maybe knocked it out of calibration? Like I said, I asked the indie about it. He was a dealership mechanic for a number of years and been on his own for quite a while now. He said he had never seen this before and suggested that i look to see if I could do it with my scanner. When I bought the car, I had to adjust the headlights and at that time, thenleft light would adjust higher than the right. Now it will not even go as high as the right so something changed somewhere.
Appreciate 0