E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 30FF no more than 2 pounds boost

07-02-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep
Drives: your mom

30FF no more than 2 pounds boost

Car has MHD stage 2+ been running like a champ, hitting a reliable 19 pounds boost. Today, the car is VERY loud and it sounds like there's a pissed off rattlesnake in a tin can at any throttle level. It was able to hit boost earlier today but now no matter what i do i get no more than 2 lb boost. Mightyvac at idle read 12.5 Hg vacuum when tee'd into boost solenoid and hits 25 at throttle. I hooked the mightvac straight up to the actuators, too. They held as much vacuum as the mightvac could muster, but i swear the rear actuator only moved half an inch in or less. I could not see the movement of the front actuator. Haven't checked to see if i actually have turbines anymore. Im suspecting at least one failed actuator. Thoughts? Ideas?
      07-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep

Update: adjusted rear rod 2 full turns, no change. Driving down the road thins morning i suddenly got full boost again and kept it for over 30 minutes with no issues. Tomorrow i will do more solenoid testing (hit with mallet, more vacuum testing, bypass testing, replacement) to determine the failure. WGDS was NEVER requesting 0 at any time. Is this sounding more like solenoid problems or sticking wastegates?
      07-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep

Another update: starting the car after letting it sit, there is once again no boost. I tapped the rear actuator rod laterally towards the engine while the car was idling and it moved towards the rear half an inch or more. The car boosted properly after that. Very strange. Either the actuator is bad or there is something catching the flapper inside the turbo.
      07-03-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
rawdog573
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi

I just have my waste gates tied straight to vacuum for the time being... I got bad diverter valves
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
slowgan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Bump. I have the same issue
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 03:25 AM   #6
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep

Update: the ONLY way i am able to temporarily fix my problem is by hitting the actuator arm laterally towards the engine. This means there is a problem internally and therefore, im fucked. Time to buy a wastegate rebuild kit.
      07-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_E92_Fan View Post
Update: the ONLY way i am able to temporarily fix my problem is by hitting the actuator arm laterally towards the engine. This means there is a problem internally and therefore, im fucked. Time to buy a wastegate rebuild kit.
I think you are in line for new turbos. Your rear actuator is on its way out, and the flapper valve is not sealing causing the 30ff code.

You could take the turbos and re-furbish the actuator valves, in order to save money. However, that's a ton of work to do that on old turbos that in all likelyhood need or will need to be replaced in the future anyhow.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I think you are in line for new turbos. Your rear actuator is on its way out, and the flapper valve is not sealing causing the 30ff code.

You could take the turbos and re-furbish the actuator valves, in order to save money. However, that's a ton of work to do that on old turbos that in all likelyhood need or will need to be replaced in the future anyhow.
Im looking at the other guys post for those $400 turbos with 30k miles on them. I'll replace mine with them and rebuild these and sell them.
      07-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_E92_Fan View Post
Quote:

Im looking at the other guys post for those $400 turbos with 30k miles on them. I'll replace mine with them and rebuild these and sell them.
Keep in mind tuned engines and OEM turbos don't always get a long. This forum is certainly evidence of that.

While used OEM turbos is an inexpensive, short term solution, if you plan to be over 425 hp, history will repeat itself.

If you don't mind the work required taking turbos in and out, then I guess it's no big deal. However, if you are looking for long term success, then you need to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep

Quote:
Keep in mind tuned engines and OEM turbos don't always get a long. This forum is certainly evidence of that.

While used OEM turbos is an inexpensive, short term solution, if you plan to be over 425 hp, history will repeat itself.

If you don't mind the work required taking turbos in and out, then I guess it's no big deal. However, if you are looking for long term success, then you need to upgrade.
Yessir. Single turbo is the plan for the future. These should hold me over until i am ready. Might as well get some practice on some hot side shenanigans too before i put the big one in.
      07-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #11
majorahole
Rep
Drives: '07 E90

wastegates are $30 each. mine are both done as neither hold vac, at all. I have replacements already and will be installing them this weekend, hopefully tomorrow night, but most likely sat. should be able to do without removing turbos, and in a few hours max. I'll do a write-up if I find a quick way. im sure at some point I'll need new turbs, but for now @$60 and much less work, it's my best option
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #12
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorahole View Post
wastegates are $30 each. mine are both done as neither hold vac, at all. I have replacements already and will be installing them this weekend, hopefully tomorrow night, but most likely sat. should be able to do without removing turbos, and in a few hours max. I'll do a write-up if I find a quick way. im sure at some point I'll need new turbs, but for now @$60 and much less work, it's my best option
I will be curious to see how this is done for the front turbo. Please include lots of pics
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
majorahole
Rep
Drives: '07 E90

well I wasn't able to get to the front, as I didn't have any coolant on hand and it was more packed in there then I thought. couldn't get the old one out, without pulling the water pump. I start at about 11pm, and to do the back one it took about 2 hrs total, including fiddling with it to get it out and around the exhaust and in-between the firewall. would have taken diwnpips out, but being late didn't have any replacement bolts or gaskets. the ones on it were very suspect for snapping during removal. I could have cut them in no time with my angle grinder and cutting wheel, but still didn't have new hardware to replace with.
replacing the front has helped, but not enough! I figure if I have to pull the turbos, I might as well replace the chra and just fix it for sure. I'll use the lift for that tho, and take lots of pics for here and to make sure I get everything back together correctly too lol
Appreciate 0