E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335is Unsolvable Dash Buzz/Rattle

06-27-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

I've searched and searched and can't figure this out.

I've paid a shop an hour of labor and can't figure where it is. It went away and came back.

It only happens when I have my foot on the brake lightly, or am letting the car "creep" or just as I touch the gas. When the car is off-idle revs it stops. I've got a couple videos but it's done it since I bought the car and it's literally driving me insane.

Any ideas?

P.S. I have to upload to YouTube then link. Will do that now.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Took me 4 months to realize the plastic screen over my dash gauges was loose. Should be 2 screws holding it in on the top. Additionally, the speaker cover on the top center can cause rattles.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 05:37 AM   #3
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcclelland View Post
I've searched and searched and can't figure this out.

I've paid a shop an hour of labor and can't figure where it is. It went away and came back.

It only happens when I have my foot on the brake lightly, or am letting the car "creep" or just as I touch the gas. When the car is off-idle revs it stops. I've got a couple videos but it's done it since I bought the car and it's literally driving me insane.

Any ideas?

P.S. I have to upload to YouTube then link. Will do that now.

Any mods to the car ? That doesn’t sound like it’s coming from the interior
I get something very similar but I have an aftermarket strut tower bar that very slightly makes contact with the stock air box and it sounds similar to that and goes away off idle.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E91 335D M SPORT

I had the same problem, drove me mad!! it was the pollen filter rattling on the plastic scuttle panel it screws down to.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
Any mods to the car ? That doesn't sound like it's coming from the interior
I get something very similar but I have an aftermarket strut tower bar that very slightly makes contact with the stock air box and it sounds similar to that and goes away off idle.
I've got a few mods, but it did this even when bone stock. I tightened down the OEM strut tower brace, t no avail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS DAVE View Post
I had the same problem, drove me mad!! it was the pollen filter rattling on the plastic scuttle panel it screws down to.
I wondered if this could be it, and everything seems tight. I think I'll just take it completely out and try from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E91 335D M SPORT

Quote:
I've got a few mods, but it did this even when bone stock. I tightened down the OEM strut tower brace, t no avail

I wondered if this could be it, and everything seems tight. I think I'll just take it completely out and try from there.
That's what i did, if it is that don't leave it out, fit a new one or your heater fan will get blocked up with leaves and other shit!!!! hope this sorts it for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #7
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's what i did, if it is that don't leave it out, fit a new one or your heater fan will get blocked up with leaves and other shit!!!! hope this sorts it for you.
Quote:
Quote:

I have the BMS cowl filters, but didn't get to replace it today.

I did put two credit cards beneath the gauge cluster today. Didn't do anything. Will try the cowl, but it sounds internal. Like it's right behind the gauge cluster.
Appreciate 0