E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 328i brake and ABS lights

06-01-2019, 12:13 AM   #1
imarichards
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328i 4 dr sedan

2011 328i brake and ABS lights

I am getting brake and ABS lights warning. Also the Vehicle stability light is also glowing. Nothing happens when I click the VSC button on/off.When I drive I feel some weird grinding sound when put sudden brakes. This is even more when I hit brakes while turning. So I replaced front and rear brake senors and brake pads. But this did not resolve the problem.

I want to know how to read the codes to diagnose the issue. Will AutoZone guys able to tell what the issues i? Not sure if they can read bmw codes.

I am thinking it could be ABS sensor? Does the failure of ABS sensor cause this kind of grinding sound? or some other serious issue?

I noticed while replacing brake pads that the real brake (left) is missing anti-rattle clip. I am not sure if this is a major concern or related to above issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'd say the anti-rattle spring is the issue you are having with brake noise, because that it the purpose for it, to eliminate pad vibration noises. BMW actually recommends replacing them after 10 years.

For the lights, it could be the rear ABS sensors. On my car, the left rear axle rusted at the pulse ring to the point that the expanded, rusty ring was contacting the face of the ABS sensor. It scratched the face badly enough to break the hermetic seal of the sensor body, which when it got wet, would cause the sensor to intermittently fail. It took a failure of the replacement sensor 3 months after I replaced it to figure out it was the rusting axle that caused the issue. I replaced the sensor with a new one, but backed it off the mounting a millimeter or two using a small washer under the sensor at the mounting bolt.

You'll need a BMW scan tool to find out if and which wheel speed sensor (ABS sensor) is failing and causing the warning icons to illuminate. Most auto part stores just have OBD2 scan tools, which will not pick up a fail speed sensor code.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-01-2019 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarichards View Post
I am getting brake and ABS lights warning. Also the Vehicle stability light is also glowing [DSC]...When I drive I feel some weird grinding sound when put sudden brakes. This is even more when I hit brakes while turning...I want to know how to read the codes to diagnose the issue. Will AutoZone guys able to tell what the issues i? Not sure if they can read bmw codes. I am thinking it could be ABS sensor? Does the failure of ABS sensor cause this kind of grinding sound? or some other serious issue? I noticed while replacing brake pads that the real brake (left) is missing anti-rattle clip.
It would appear that you have TWO different issues:

1) Missing "Anti-Rattle Spring" or Pad Retaining Clip, Part# 34116776526, is probably causing the grinding sound, particularly if the sound is coming from the Left-Rear:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ate-part...116776526~ate/

2) You probably have a wiring/connector issue with one of the Wheel Speed Sensors used by the ABS & DSC, hence the 3 warning lights.

Autozone or Advance Auto should be able to read Fault Codes saved in the DSC Module Memory. I use INPA on my BMW, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that Advance Auto was able to read ABS fault codes in a friend's Ford Escape. The Code(s) will tell you which of the FOUR sensor circuits has the fault, so you know which wheel's wiring & connector to check closely.

As "F30" indicates, "tone rings," or the toothed reluctors that cause the Wheel Speed Sensors to send the square-wave signal to the DSC, can get rust beneath them and on some models, the ring actually BREAKS, allowing the ring to just spin loose on the shaft, resulting in improper or NO signal, so do NOT simply assume that the sensor is bad -- INSPECT after the code tells you which wheel has bogus signal.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #4
imarichards
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
It would appear that you have TWO different issues:

1) Missing "Anti-Rattle Spring" or Pad Retaining Clip, Part# 34116776526, is probably causing the grinding sound, particularly if the sound is coming from the Left-Rear:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ate-part...116776526~ate/

2) You probably have a wiring/connector issue with one of the Wheel Speed Sensors used by the ABS & DSC, hence the 3 warning lights.

Autozone or Advance Auto should be able to read Fault Codes saved in the DSC Module Memory. I use INPA on my BMW, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that Advance Auto was able to read ABS fault codes in a friend's Ford Escape. The Code(s) will tell you which of the FOUR sensor circuits has the fault, so you know which wheel's wiring & connector to check closely.

As "F30" indicates, "tone rings," or the toothed reluctors that cause the Wheel Speed Sensors to send the square-wave signal to the DSC, can get rust beneath them and on some models, the ring actually BREAKS, allowing the ring to just spin loose on the shaft, resulting in improper or NO signal, so do NOT simply assume that the sensor is bad -- INSPECT after the code tells you which wheel has bogus signal.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Thank you. I am going there to find out what they read. I will order the pad retaining clip asap. But I feel that the sound coming somewhere from the front not back.

Meanwhile I was digging on youtube and found the codes from console.

CC ID 678
CC ID 24
CC ID 354
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarichards View Post
...Meanwhile I was digging on youtube and found the codes from console.
CC ID 678
CC ID 24
CC ID 354
Those don't help, you still need the DSC codes read. Unfortunately BMW didn't intend for you to be able to diagnose the cause of warning light, OTHER than to indicate GENERALLY the nature of the fault (for safety purposes -- CYA) and the instruction for most any fault is "have checked by your BMW Service at next opportunity."

I don't have a listing for CC-ID codes as high as 678, so can't say what that one is. Here is the information from Bentley & also the attached pdf of "Warning Lamps & CC-ID":

24 | Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) | DBC failure. Drive with care | No additional brake support from DBC when emergency braking. Drive with care. Have problem checked by BMW Service as soon as possible.

354 | Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) | Pulling-away assistant inactive | Caution: vehicle may roll back. Have problem checked by your BMW Service at next opportunity.

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Warning Lamps & CC-ID.pdf (339.6 KB, 89 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:03 PM   #6
WIREZ71
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328I

Hey imarichards.. Did you get your abs lights to go off? What did you find? I have a 2011 328I also. All those same lights just came on this afternoon. I feel just a little difference in the braking. But I know it needs attention. I am somewhat a DIY for car maintenance. I have shop, tools, and a lift. Thanks for any more info. Jon
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
imarichards
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIREZ71 View Post
Hey imarichards.. Did you get your abs lights to go off? What did you find? I have a 2011 328I also. All those same lights just came on this afternoon. I feel just a little difference in the braking. But I know it needs attention. I am somewhat a DIY for car maintenance. I have shop, tools, and a lift. Thanks for any more info. Jon
I went to the bmw shop and had the diagnostics done. Fault sowing as Front and rear ABS sensors are failing. So I ordered these from FCP and will try it this weekend. Also I replaced anti-rattle clip some time back but just noticed that it fell off again.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #8
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

For me, the brake, ABS, and traction control trifecta meant an ABS control module rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
imarichards
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderspider View Post
For me, the brake, ABS, and traction control trifecta meant an ABS control module rebuild.
I just replaced the rear right sensor and boom all the lights are gone. I could not replace the front as the 5mm allen screw on the sensor is missing. The sensor is just hanging inside by itself.

I think you should at least open the sensor clean the magnet area and put it back. It might do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #10
powerpop2000
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 X-Drive Sedan

Reluctor ring issue...

Greetings, I had similar issues (ABS failing, no cruise control, 4X4 and DSC lights, potential reluctor ring issue) back in SEPT 2019, so I came here...

Basically I viewed lots of YT vids, self-diagnosed the problem...then saw on here that BMW service would charge upwards of $2300 so I went to a local guy who did the job for $850.

He didn't want to just replace the reluctor ring and wheel speed sensor on the left front wheel...he wanted to replace the whole axle (with ring attached) and the sensor, hence the $850. And BMW would prob do the same thing for $2300?? I assume they'd replace the left axle too...

Anyway, long story short, the car vibrates at speeds above 60 mph now. And also, when I make a hard right turn at decently high speed, there is a horrible sound of maybe plastic rubbing...first time I heard it I thought I ran over some debris on the entrance ramp of the interstate. I know the guy didn't use a BMW axle--do you think that's the problem? What could it be, maybe plastic housing rubbing?? THANKS!
Appreciate 0