E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Precursor: 335i DCT Conversion

05-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #1
Beygan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sporter

Precursor: 335i DCT Conversion

Hey all, Brian here. I've got a 2011 N55 M-Sport and I'm nearing 120k miles.

So I've read a few threads here and there on forums E90post and others: so a DCT conversion is possible on the E90 335i platform?

I've been driving my E90 for a while now and I've come to familiarity on the character of the car. Coming from 4 cylinders, this 3L i6 turbo definitely has some oomph to it, less that be an understatement (especially on tuned units).

Sadly during my journeys with this car I've come across issues with its transmission: faults started becoming true and lights start showing and the transmission's begun to slip and trip. It looks like it's on its way out at its end of its mechanical trueness.

I've pondered upon the idea of having a concurrent version of the famed N54 legend, the 335is, in a four door flavor, and the word with its subsequent abbreviation "DCT Conversion" comes to mind. It appears some have successfully bred a so-called "E90 335is", if you will.

Upon reading the bits of information shared from the generosity from those of success, it seems the mechanical and practical portion of such an theoretical "project" is one of a tangible reality. My latter notions are of concern with the technical complexity regarding the computer and software side of things.

So at the end of it, I've come to a conclusion that I indeed would like to embark on the exciting and possibly long and treacherous journey of executing and completing a Dual Clutch Transmission Conversion of my N55 E90 LCI M-Sport, ZF 6AT. I know it is a consciousness of many questions and challenges. How much of a reality do you think this could be?

...pending continuation...

Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

-Brian
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Subscribed...

Good luck dude! Sounds awesome!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beygan View Post

So I've read a few threads here and there on forums E90post and others: so a DCT conversion is possible on the E90 335i platform?

I've been driving my E90 for a while now and I've come to familiarity on the character of the car. Coming from 4 cylinders, this 3L i6 turbo definitely has some oomph to it, less that be an understatement (especially on tuned units).

Sadly during my journeys with this car I've come across issues with its transmission: faults started becoming true and lights start showing and the transmission's begun to slip and trip. It looks like it's on its way out at its end of its mechanical trueness.

I've pondered upon the idea of having a concurrent version of the famed N54 legend, the 335is, in a four door flavor, and the word with its subsequent abbreviation "DCT Conversion" comes to mind. It appears some have successfully bred a so-called "E90 335is", if you will.

Upon reading the bits of information shared from the generosity from those of success, it seems the mechanical and practical portion of such an theoretical "project" is one of a tangible reality. My latter notions are of concern with the technical complexity regarding the computer and software side of things.

So at the end of it, I've come to a conclusion that I indeed would like to embark on the exciting and possibly long and treacherous journey of executing and completing a Dual Clutch Transmission Conversion of my N55 E90 LCI M-Sport, ZF 6AT. I know it is a consciousness of many questions and challenges. How much of a reality do you think this could be?

-Brian
I am helping a man do a manual to DCT swap on his 135i. Currently everything is working except the normal D mode. Shifting with the paddles is just fine. He wanted the drive logic stuff and his GWS flashed as a m3 gts instead of doing a normal non m DCT setup. Currently I believe that is why the car will not drive normally in D.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
Beygan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sporter

Quote:

I am helping a man do a manual to DCT swap on his 135i. Currently everything is working except the normal D mode. Shifting with the paddles is just fine. He wanted the drive logic stuff and his GWS flashed as a m3 gts instead of doing a normal non m DCT setup. Currently I believe that is why the car will not drive normally in D.
That sounds like a more intricate and complex project, compared to 6AT to 7AT-DCT.

Glad it's on its way. I'm sure it's only the drive logic part that's in the way. Maybe you can lend me a hand when I start my conversion.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

It's definitely possibly, hardest part would seem to be the coding work that will need to be done, maybe a little wiring too. I am definitely interested in swapping a DCT into my car also in the future, when my auto completely gives out.

Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
Chris1337
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beygan View Post

-Brian
May I ask, how much did it all cost and what exactly did you need?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #7
Chris1337
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

I plan on doing this in the future so would like to learn as much about it as possible. I don't care about the drive logic as long as I can put the car in manual mode on the most track based tranny logic as possible and be able to put the trans in neutral and reverse and such
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #8
BeGood69
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, black, JB4 G5

Hi. Interested in the swap. I got a dtc/flywheel/harness/cooler for cheap.. just to have options if the 6hp2q give up.
Is it the same way to code the 6hp21 to alpina flash? But to the m3 gts software with my vin? What is the m3 gts software # please?
Appreciate 0