E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please Help me! Reset to ---- ?

05-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
FlyfastDriveFast
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i Sport

Unhappy Please Help me! Reset to ---- ?

Hey all, first post to the forum.

I have a 2006 325i. In an attempt to fix the "Service Engine Soon Light", I disconnected the battery and reset all of the service prompts possible. For some reason, when i reset the Front Brake maintenance light, intsead of increasing the time/milage for the service, it reset it to ----. Now I have the BRAKE light on, Traction control triangle with arrow, red service light, and a bunch of error codes like TPMS failure, DTC failure, etc.

Can somebody please help me try to clear these..?

It is an electrical problem not one that is based in the reality of the cars condition.

Stalk reset did not work, and when I try to reset the other codes it pulls up CC-ID #'s.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
ckev70
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyfastDriveFast View Post
Hey all, first post to the forum.

I have a 2006 325i. In an attempt to fix the "Service Engine Soon Light", I disconnected the battery and reset all of the service prompts possible. For some reason, when i reset the Front Brake maintenance light, intsead of increasing the time/milage for the service, it reset it to ----. Now I have the BRAKE light on, Traction control triangle with arrow, red service light, and a bunch of error codes like TPMS failure, DTC failure, etc.

Can somebody please help me try to clear these..?

It is an electrical problem not one that is based in the reality of the cars condition.

Stalk reset did not work, and when I try to reset the other codes it pulls up CC-ID #'s.
Was there any recent maintenance? Was pulling battery uses as an attempt to clear the SES?
What tool are you using to read to codes?
To get a clear picture, clear all the codes, then re-read codes again. Pulling a battery to reset something would be similar to low battery causing codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:49 AM   #3
FlyfastDriveFast
Rep

No recent maintenance. I know what the SES is from as well. Not related to brakes. It’s a small evap code. There’s a TSB about it already.

UPDATE: the tcs codes are gone. Just the brake light now. Front brake maintenance still reads - - - - milage until next change. I think I’m going to pull the front brake sensors tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:20 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

There are many threads on the brake sensors and how to properly use them. Resetting the brake wear system when it is halfway through a set of pads screws up the CBS and how it calculates pad wear, so it defaults to the pad replacement condition for safety reasons (it calculates the pads are spent). If the pad sensors are through the first stage of wear, it may be difficult to resolve your problem.

You can try an unplug then re-plug each connector for each sensor that may reset the system correctly. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to electrically tie them off.

My advice to you is read up in E90 post and learn how to properly fix your BMW rather than just hack at it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
FlyfastDriveFast
Rep

Yeah I've seen the threads. Just a temporary fix until the new front brake sensors come in... I'll let the thread know how it goes. Brake rears have 18k left on them so ill just replace all pads when that expires. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

jumper the pad wear wires, reset cbs, plug new sensor in.

that's how I had to reset mine. wouldn't do it with just new sensor.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #7
FlyfastDriveFast
Rep

As of now, i have managed to clear the code by pulling the front brake wear sensor and cutting it/splicing.

Took maybe 30 minutes?
Turning the wheels to the right before jacking it up helps with workspace area, thats the one thing i didn't read on the threads.
Appreciate 0