E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Adaptive headlight fault

05-24-2019, 12:11 AM   #1
PortDover335xi
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi coupe

Adaptive headlight fault

Twice now at night I've had the adaptive headlight fault trigger with the lights in auto mode. After I shut the car off the fault goes away. There is some condensation in the lights. Has anyone else had this intermittent problem? I've heard that if you just turn the headlights on not it auto the problem goes away. I have a 2010 335xi coupe
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I had condensation in my headlight ('07 pre-LCI) and it ended up soaking and frying my SMC (Stepper Motor Controller) module in the headlight. This is the which is controlled by the FRM for adapting the positioning of the headlight.

I am not familiar with LCI headlights, but this may be a similar issue for you.

In my opinion, if it is intermittent - please clean and dry your headlight and try to save yourself the $$$ and headache of replacing the module.

Otherwise, accept that it is fried and you can code out the error notification.

If you have condensation, check the rear covers or for cracks. In my case, the mounting tab was cracked allowing water into the housing.

I had the ability to swap and code the module myself, but I understand that may not always be the case.

If someone else with actual LCI experience can chime in, please do
Appreciate 0