E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 n55 335i engine seized after oil change?

05-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
Guibibi
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive

2011 n55 335i engine seized after oil change?

I just had done my oil change like I do after each 6000km, I got in my car and drove 2 streets, and then out of nowhere the engine stopped. Tried starting the car again, but it wouldn't crank. Towed it back to the shop and now they are telling me that the engine is seized..

My motor had only 146 000km on it, has anyone experienced the same thing?
Only had the car for 1 year and it has been a total nightmare.

**The oil change was done by an Euro shop**

Last edited by Guibibi; 05-15-2019 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Added more info
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibibi View Post
I just had done my oil change like I do after each 6000km, I got in my car and drove 2 streets, and then out of nowhere the engine stopped. Tried starting the car again, but it wouldn't crank. Towed it back to the shop and now they are telling me that the engine is seized..

There has been reports of engine seizing after oil filter housing gasket work. Your case sounds kind of similar. No one knows why this happens.

Can you tell us how you did your change exactly. The steps you took. Are there any codes present ?

Did you run the car by any chance without oil at all even for just a crank because of a mistake ? And then put oil in after you realized ? Just asking ...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
Guibibi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
There has been reports of engine seizing after oil filter housing gasket work. Your case sounds kind of similar. No one knows why this happens.

Can you tell us how you did your change exactly. The steps you took. Are there any codes present ?

Did you run the car by any chance without oil at all even for just a crank because of a mistake ? And then put oil in after you realized ? Just asking ...

Thing is that I never changed the oil filter housing gasket, only did the oil change.
I went to an euro shop that I know, as I did not have the time this week to do it myself.

I do know that my PCV valve was starting to make sound, I wonder if that could have caused this?

There were no code present at all, the engine turned off by itself and then would not crank at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
ahlbe1cl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Subscribed...there’s a ton of reports of this happening and I think we’re all curious as to find what the common denominator is.

It makes sense that this shouldn’t be exclusive to oil filter housing work, but anything related to oil changing, etc.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate event, I’m hoping we can all learn and improve the community awareness.

Please keep us posted on results and resolution.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thing is that I never changed the oil filter housing gasket, only did the oil change.
I went to an euro shop that I know, as I did not have the time this week to do it myself.

I do know that my PCV valve was starting to make sound, I wonder if that could have caused this?

There were no code present at all, the engine turned off by itself and then would not crank at all.
So since you did not do it yourself then anything could have happened during the oil change.. I though you did this yourself.

I am assuming that the euro mechanic wants nothing to do with this now ?

I dont see how PCV would have anything to do with this.. Thats if you know for sure that engine cannot be turned by hand.

You need to go back to whoever did your oil i would say.
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
What did you do with your old oil filter that you removed? Is it possible that the plastic cage that snaps into the oil filter cover came off of the cover when you removed the old oil filter and you tossed it away along with the old oil filter? That plastic cage inside the filter has a tip with o-ring that seals a drain hole in the bottom of the oil filter housing. If that plastic cage with tip and o-ring is missing, oil pressure will be dumping down that drain hole and starving the oil gallery of pressure.

Remove your oil filter cap and check to see if the plastic cage is attached and if there, the rubber o-ring is installed on the tip.

Some examples:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1279796

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=920324
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: CL55 AMG

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Same thing happened to me but after changing the Oil Filter Housing Gaskets, I drove it 10 min after that and boom the engine sized after that the car sat for a while until I took it to my dads mechanic he opened

the bottom end up and showed me that the pistons where blue meaning no oil got to them so he changed the rob bearings to make it start again but told me I will need and engine swap, 2 weeks later rod knock

so I took it straight for an engine swap that was 3+ months ago... still waiting for my engine....
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Based on the fact the OP engine seized without a OFH gasket change I wonder if the N55 seizures we are hearing about are related to the oil filter/cap assembly.

That seems to be the only piece common in all these instances.
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      05-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Based on the fact the OP engine seized without a OFH gasket change I wonder if the N55 seizures we are hearing about are related to the oil filter/cap assembly.

Yeah.. but since OP says he wasn't the one who DIYed it I think it's safe to assume anything could've happened.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #10
Guibibi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
So since you did not do it yourself then anything could have happened during the oil change.. I though you did this yourself.

I am assuming that the euro mechanic wants nothing to do with this now ?

I dont see how PCV would have anything to do with this.. Thats if you know for sure that engine cannot be turned by hand.

You need to go back to whoever did your oil i would say.
The euro shop is perplexed on what happened, he is currently looking for another engine.

They told me that they had to use a lot of force to turn the engine, and that as soon as it got hot it would barely turn (I am not the most mechanically advanced guy, if someone can confirm me that this make sense it would be great.)

I'm wondering if they just dropped the plastic cage that arkie6 was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlbe1cl View Post
Subscribed...there’s a ton of reports of this happening and I think we’re all curious as to find what the common denominator is.

It makes sense that this shouldn’t be exclusive to oil filter housing work, but anything related to oil changing, etc.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate event, I’m hoping we can all learn and improve the community awareness.

Please keep us posted on results and resolution.
Will do, hopefully I can save someone from all this trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
What did you do with your old oil filter that you removed? Is it possible that the plastic cage that snaps into the oil filter cover came off of the cover when you removed the old oil filter and you tossed it away along with the old oil filter? That plastic cage inside the filter has a tip with o-ring that seals a drain hole in the bottom of the oil filter housing. If that plastic cage with tip and o-ring is missing, oil pressure will be dumping down that drain hole and starving the oil gallery of pressure.

Remove your oil filter cap and check to see if the plastic cage is attached and if there, the rubber o-ring is installed on the tip.

Some examples:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1279796

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=920324
Thanks for that, I will try to go and see if that is still on the oil filter cap.

Last edited by Guibibi; 05-15-2019 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #11
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post

Yeah i would not be surprised that e piece of plastic puts the entire engine in jeopardy. This goes hand in hand with other BMW engineering marvels such as the oil on the belt causing catastrophic engine damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:

**The oil change was done by an Euro shop**
Any udates yet OP?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #13
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Lot's more details needed to determine the method of failure. For all you know they forgot to put oil back in it. I watched this happen in real time on my old bosses Rolls Royce, the drained it and the guy got distracted and didn't realize the drain plug was not in it and the oil he was putting in was just draining into the pit and so he just finished, put the cap on and closed the hood. Luckily I was watching thru the service bay window.

A Bad PCV issue can cause the front and rear main seals to go bad. If either of them failed catastrophically then I suppose there could have been a sudden loss of oil and pressure. But then I suppose you would have mentioned if there was oil everywhere.
      05-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #14
agustincuenca
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i; 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
Lot's more details needed to determine the method of failure. For all you know they forgot to put oil back in it. I watched this happen in real time on my old bosses Rolls Royce, the drained it and the guy got distracted and didn't realize the drain plug was not in it and the oil he was putting in was just draining into the pit and so he just finished, put the cap on and closed the hood. Luckily I was watching thru the service bay window.

A Bad PCV issue can cause the front and rear main seals to go bad. If either of them failed catastrophically then I suppose there could have been a sudden loss of oil and pressure. But then I suppose you would have mentioned if there was oil everywhere.
It literally happened to me on my first oil change I did in my car, luckily I noticed it after pouring half a quart. And the SAME thing happened to my friend on his first or second oil change (I was hanging out with him when he was doing it) on his Focus ST, again, luck helped us noticed it before it was too late. This has to be something rather common.

Last edited by agustincuenca; 05-24-2019 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 12:11 PM   #15
Guibibi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Any udates yet OP?
Not yet, I towed the car to another mechanic that was recommended to me to get a second opinion, waiting on a call back.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #16
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by agustincuenca View Post
This has to be something rather common.
I really hope not or the race of men is doomed. LOL!

Last winter as I was about to DIY my OFHG I found out about the 2011 N55 engine seizure-post-OFHG trend.

It didn't make sense to anyone because the OFHG does not do more in exposing the oil system than your basic Oil Change (OC) so N55 should have been seizing after oil changes as well and not just after the OFHG.

This observation led many to deny post-OFHG seizure was a trend inherent to the N55 engine. The reasoning from these deniers was simple: the OFHG work was sloppy and led to particles of either gasket materials or pieces of a shop rag falling into the oil channels thus blocking oil flow back into the engine.

Regardless of what you think these are some of the facts:

1. Engine Seizure post-OFHG or post-OC is caused by oil starvation. Oil is not flowing back into the engine after the work was done and the car is driven off with no oil in the engine. Once the engine seizes the ONLY fix is a full engine transplant which some shops should cover but don't be surprised if you need to lawyer-up to get them to take responsibility and pay for your new engine. Even then if the cost of a replacement engine is covered depending on where you live it can take weeks to months before you find that perfect "refurbished" N55 that fits your car. All before you tally in the labor time involved in an N55 swap. Then your car's resale/trade in value will take a hit as well.

So either way you dice it you will pay with time and money.

2. The post-OFHG/OC Engine Seizures are mostly reported happening to the 2011 N55 engines in the E9x/E8x more often than in other BMW engines (N54/N52/S65) in the same family of cars. It seems to happen regardless of mileage, climate, where the car was manufactured, where the work was done, and if the car was modded or not. The only place it never happens is when you do your OC or OFHG at the BMW Dealerships. With coupons and the free car wash/vacuum the BMW Dealership's $80 OC can cost you as little as $25. So I always recommend do your oil changes at your local BMW Dealership.

3. Furthermore you rarely hear of engine seizures happening in F30 N55 cars but then again the N55 X3/X5 forums are littered with post-OFHG/OC engine seizures. So no one can say what N55 cars will have this issue.

4. Although some forum members and mechanics deny this is a trend, BMW NA is very much aware of post-OFHG/OC engine seizures and a service bulletin was quietly amended to BMW N55 OFHG/OC Procedures that instructs the oil system must be primed after the oil system is drained or opened for OC or OFHG service. Although oil flow in modern engines should be automatic after an OC, this priming procedure ensures oil is cycling back thru the N55 engine before the car is driven off.

I put my obsession over this on the back burner since I was going to play it safe and let BMW rape me for the OFHG (they want $1400) but the last thing I researched was what design peculiarities are in these N55 engines that makes them different than the N54 engines when it comes to oil flowing back into the system once the system is opened, drained and/or exposed.

Those looking to solve this N55 engine seizure mystery may want to start there...

Good Luck!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832

Last edited by delmarco; 05-28-2019 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #17
9krpmrx8
Rep

Fact?

You rarely hear of any seizures due to this specific issue period. And please post proof that BMW NA has acknowledged this and renamed the service bulletin.
      05-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #18
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fact?

You rarely hear of any seizures due to this specific issue period. And please post proof that BMW NA has acknowledged this and renamed the service bulletin.
smh...i was waiting for you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 11:35 AM   #19
9krpmrx8
Rep

So you don't have any facts or proof then? That's what I thought. 20-50% of engines seized? You really are a clown.
      05-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #20
9krpmrx8
Rep

You know, you can edit or delete a post, you don't have to post twice. And yes, I read your made up noob bullshit. Please post up showing where BMW renamed the SIB.
      05-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #21
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You know, you can edit or delete a post, you don't have to post twice. And yes, I read your made up noob bullshit. Please post up showing where BMW renamed the SIB.
The trend is on the OFHG not the OC but considering both operations open the oil system...dude did you even read what I wrote bro?

ANYONE can google for the SA bulletin, Search on the forums here or simply call their local dealership...I have not a got damn thing that I have to prove to you!

Why are you so passive aggressive on an issue that has nothing to do with you?

If you have no worries about the topic as it may relate to you then leave.

I'm sure there are other forums you can go and concern yourself with.

Appreciate 1
      05-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #22
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Please also remove the part where you say this is a 2011 n55 issue. You literally contradict that statement two bullets later by stating the f30 forums are littered with these posts lol...

Ig you want to pull this issue go for it bu please be rational with your logic... itself this was a 2011 issue the f30 forums wouldn't also be littered with posts.
Appreciate 0