F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > OFHG Alternative Question... would love to hear a response
ARMA SPEED

05-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

OFHG Alternative Question... would love to hear a response

OK, guys
Is there a alternative to using the Shitty Gaskets that we have to use?
Permatex Ultra Copper I tried before but I don't think it holds up.

I have done the OFHG repair 3 times on 2 different vehicles and right down to the letter including the torque specs.

BUT Each time it leaked after about 6 to 12 months.

Now I am about to do it the the second time and I am not happy about it on my 2012 F30 335i.

I am seriously considering a Gasket Maker. Can someone provide an alternative product or a brand of Gasket Maker that they have tried and procedure if possible?

Thanks in advance.
Bash
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Use the Genuine BMW gasket only! Don't use an OEM version. Genuine BMW has little knobs to keep it in place and it's a tad thicker. I can't remember if you can reuse the bolts. Maybe new bolts as well.

Of course proper torque and clean mating surface are key. If your TQ wrench is off then that might be why you're getting consistent leaks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Use the Genuine BMW gasket only! Don't use an OEM version. Genuine BMW has little knobs to keep it in place and it's a tad thicker. I can't remember if you can reuse the bolts. Maybe new bolts as well.

Of course proper torque and clean mating surface are key. If your TQ wrench is off then that might be why you're getting consistent leaks.
Since when does OEM not mean BMW in this domain?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Since when does OEM not mean BMW in this domain?
"Original Equipment (OE) Parts: These are the same parts originally supplied to dealerships, except with the dealer logos removed. This is done by manufacturers so the parts can be sold outside the dealer network due to licensing agreements.

Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Parts: These are produced by a manufacturer that supplies at least one OE part to a vehicle manufacturer. OEM parts may not have been original to the car, but are held to higher-quality standards and stringent quality control.

Genuine Parts: These parts come branded by the vehicle manufacturer and at a premium cost, as they're sold through dealerships with higher overhead expenses. These are the same parts you would find at your local dealership."

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/oe-academy
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

BMW doesn't make gaskets, they source them from gasket manufacturers, like Mahle. If you buy a BMW gasket you're getting a Mahle gasket in BMW packaging, at a premium price.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
SeattleLSB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5, M50I

If you buy the gasket from the dealer and it leaks within two years they will pay the labor to replace it even if you performed the repair yourself.
2022 X5 M50I DG/BLK
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #7
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
BMW doesn't make gaskets, they source them from gasket manufacturers, like Mahle. If you buy a BMW gasket you're getting a Mahle gasket in BMW packaging, at a premium price.
This.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Automobile factories have strict quality control with their suppliers. Parts that pass with flying colors are what's known as genuine parts and get shipped to factory warehouses or directly to assembly plants. This is by far the bulk of what is produced in a tier 1 factory.

Parts that can't pass the strict quality control but are otherwise sound can't be sold as genuine parts, so they are sold as OE parts. Typically these are perfectly good, serviceable parts, they just don't make the grade but the failure is not severe enough to knock them down to OEM parts. This failure could be something like a drill bit tasked with drilling a pilot hole for the manufacturer to bore out to the final dimension has worn down .001 too small and the manufacturer will bitch if they have to bore out that extra amount; so it goes to a third party to get finished and these typically wind up as the "better" parts at auto parts stores.

Original Equipment Manufacturer parts are made by the same people, on the same line. Something about these parts causes them to not go into the "better" box. These are still perfectly good, usable parts. It could be something as simple as an inclusion in the casting in an inconsequential spot or the forging tooling has reached it's "end of life" and the manufacturer won't accept parts from that die any more. A visual defect in the machining finish that does not impact the functionality will cause the part to end up here. This is typically the "good" stuff at the parts store.

None of this is hard and fast, each manufacturer is different. This is from my experience with Ford, Chrysler, Delphi, Bendix, Cadillac, and a few others. I have no manufacturing experience with BMW.
      05-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #9
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Guys,

Currently waiting on BMW Branded Gaskets.

Background work:
F32Fleet Stated little knobs to keep it straight as being updated parts..... I am in agreement here.
Cause I ordered 2 sets already and going to return both.
Ebay Cheap $7 ones Look good on Picture, But they are so Flimsy and very Stretchable like Silicone.

Amazon $12, Now these were More Rigid, but the Oil Cooler Gasket did not have the knobs, and that is what is leaking on mine.

So, I decided to order the $30 items from ebay with BMW Branded and Packaging.

Also, I am in contact with a Local Permatex Rep and he stated that Utlra Copper is for Exhaust.

Grey might be the right choice.

Keep you all posted on my procedure on how I installed it and keep an I on it.

Best Regards,
Appreciate 0