E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Diesel......but NOT as we know it !!

08-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d SE Steptronic

Diesel......but NOT as we know it !!

Okay, I`ve been back at Speedreligion again today, and whilst I was there, I was offered a drive of their E90 330d, by Ant, the guy who owns the company.

The car has a few (tasteful) exterior mods, such as blacklines, a small, discreet carbon boot spoiler, and a slightly less discreet "wrap" (which I don`t know the technical term for), that is basically a material which wraps onto the car, and effectively creates a superb advertising banner for the "Speedreligion" company. The car is actually black in colour, so the white wrap completely transforms the look, and close up, you`d swear it was paint, so the wrap is pretty amazing...........a word which brings me nicely onto the drive.

Okay, I won`t try to go into too much detail here, because I simply don`t know the facts, (you`ll have to ask Ant for these), but the E90 has been fully tuned with a remap, which has been complemented by a full custom exhaust system (which provides two seperate pipes at the rear, similar to the 335d), and a K+N cold air intake system. The mods increase power output from a standard 231bhp, to a wopping 320bhp. After leaving the premises I did kick myself that I hadn`t asked Ant what the torque-figure is now, so again, you`ll need to ask him if you have an interest in this.

Now then; just to clarify, I have owned, during the last 6 years, absolutely loads of cars ( and yes, lost loads of money, but we won`t go into that )

When I say "loads", I`m talking E46 M3, E90 330d, Subaru Impreza STI (with Prodrive), MK2 Audi TT 3.2, and a raft of quick hot-hatches such as Focus ST (modded to 285bhp), Vauxhall Astra VXR, Vectra VXR (the 280bhp one), MK V Golf GTI (remapped to 245bhp), Mazda RX8, 2 x CTR`s (the list goes on, etc..). My reasons for highlighting ownership of these cars is not to blow my own trumpet (God knows, as I said, I`ve LOST enough money ) but just to give you the idea that I do have something to properly compare Ant`s E90 with.

And having given you the long list, I can categorically tell you, here and now (sorry sounds a bit dramatic that bit ) that this thing, as a ROAD tool, will simply " vanquish " everything else that I`ve owned/driven before.

Okay, some perspective needed perhaps.

Granted, the M3 (as those who have owned will know) is a complete " weapon " in the right hands, when driven correctly, ie, keeping it in the meat of the revs, but yes, you have to rev it to make progress. The Scooby was a different proposition with all its low down grunt, but again, devastatingly quick as a road car, and so-on, to the others such as the remapped Focus ST.

This thing of Ant`s, however, is completely BONKERS in respect of the way that it makes good, smooth, useable power. As such, a major advantage of this is that any, and I mean, ANY overtake is on, as soon as you think about it (within safety margins, obviously), and the reason for that is the huge great dollop of torque that the E90 puts out. I never really blasted it in 1st gear, as that is academic, TBH, but the acceleration, and the way it picks up in every other gear was just amazing................honestly, it was THAT good, and I cannot imagine ever needing/wanting anything more for the road. The foil to all this is that when you want to, you can just potter about sedately, without the histrionics of some so-called far more exotic machinery that is fine for a Sunday blast, but not a lot else ( a TVR Sagaris that I once drove springs to mind here ). And then after all this, you`re still getting approx 450-500 miles to a tank of fuel.........with some added playtime. Try doing that in a petrol, when you`re only achieving 20mpg when "playing" !!

Okay, I freely admit that I am not a track-jockey, so I can`t comment on how good it would be on a track, but on the ROAD, it was simply brilliant.

My final reminder of what I was alluding to in the title was that this all takes some believing that this thing is " just " a diesel, and in qualification of that I would add that Ant`s car makes a mockery of the concept of " a diesel ", in that it has more road-suitable performance than anything petrol that I have ever driven.

I just need now to save up to get the work done, and therein lies the fly in the ointment.............such is life !
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Ant always takes his dervs to the next level.

I know he does a muffler delete back box which along with a K+N intake and a remake gives some serious gains and will sound nicer and will allow you to rev higher as well.
Should give an increase in mpg on the motorway too.

I really want him to get the 320d one sorted as a customer fit option, just don't have time to take my car up to them and leave it over night.

Hurry up Ant!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Sure sounds like a awesome car.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Phenomenal car! Had a passenger ride at UK5 and the torque seems endless! Awesome car...

The question is...

Is it better than the DXB?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Gents, it most certainly IS an awesome car.

I`m already thinking about the stage 1 remap !
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8is, Lambo Gallardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Ant always takes his dervs to the next level.

I know he does a muffler delete back box which along with a K+N intake and a remake gives some serious gains and will sound nicer and will allow you to rev higher as well.
Should give an increase in mpg on the motorway too.

I really want him to get the 320d one sorted as a customer fit option, just don't have time to take my car up to them and leave it over night.

Hurry up Ant!!

Hey Buddy,

Sorry we couldn’t accommodate you with the exhaust just yet, but you have actually brought a very exciting change around by showing how unpractical our current bespoke exhaust setup is for people out of our local vicinity.

From this, we have now agreed supply terms with Milltek Sport UK and are able to supply the full range of exhausts that they do.

Further more, they are excited to produce a line of BMW Diesel performance exhausts, so after the summer holidays have finished, they will be having our cars for R&D to develop a line of exhausts that we will be able to sell off the shelf with the quality you would expect from Milltek!

So a solution is in the pipeline and as soon as I have more information, I will be in touch.

ant.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8is, Lambo Gallardo

I have just returned from a trip down to Lydney in Gloucestershire this morning, 300 miles there and back and thought you may want to see a pic of the horrendous fuel mileage I got in the d3 because of light precipitation and the resulting traffic it caused...

295.9 miles on half a tank and only 300 miles left as I arrived at my motorway exit!

We have plans to do a 'Top Grear-esque' fuel mileage run in our d3 in the exact 290bhp trim with exhaust, air filter and re-map that we advertise on http://shop.speedreligion.net... more to follow on that one!

ant.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
red-max
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport

So is Ant's car a manual 330d, and can the manual 'box cope with all that extra power (and presumably considerably extra torque too)? If so, then I may be very interested next time around. I'm generally happy with my E92 335d, but the auto box still spoils it for me when I really want to "drive" the car...

Oops - just noticed that encee's own car is Steptronic.
      08-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

That sounds great Ant.

I have no problem getting up to Manchester for a day, but 2 days, which I understand is needed for a custom set up, makes it really tricky.
I know you guys kindly lend out loan cars for your customers, but being in Norfolk makes it a mare to drop the car off and then pick it up next day.

So a system that I can fit myself sounds perfect.

Will there be a rear muffler delete system?? And maybe in twin guise for those that are prepared to change the diffuser and add the 335 storage tray??
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

You seem to have dropped an LED, it is stuck in the bottom left hand side of your cluster!!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Which air intake do you have for the 320d Ant??
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d & Dakar Yellow E46 M3

i was looking at that - i have a very similar one - it helps me with my front parking
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

that is some mileage you got there.. I lose a lot driving in or around London on the weekends.

Look forward to the Top Geear-Esque tests... maybe tempted to have the full works i a few yrs if I still have the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #14
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-max View Post
So is Ant's car a manual 330d, and can the manual 'box cope with all that extra power (and presumably considerably extra torque too)? If so, then I may be very interested next time around. I'm generally happy with my E92 335d, but the auto box still spoils it for me when I really want to "drive" the car...

I am also interested in what the 330d manual gearbox can take in regards to torque etc.. i agree on the 'drive' the car statement as well, can't beat a good ole fashioned geer box should get em back in F1 as well!! now them boys could drive!!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #15
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-max View Post

Red-max; yes mate, Ant`s car IS a manual-box, and it certainly felt like it had no probs coping with all the power yesterday !

No, in all seriousness, I`m sure Ant can fill you in as to the specifics regarding any strain on the gearbox, etc...

No worries re the auto-box comment, either mate LOL!, as I know what you mean. At the end of the day, an auto-box can never quite give you the same feeling of being totally in control as a manual-box does.

For this reason alone, I have never owned ANYTHING with an auto-box in it for more than 20 years, but I changed job locations about a year ago, and as such, I now do mainly motorway miles in rush hour traffic, which, as we all know, is anything but a "rush" hour, and I`ve subsequently found the auto-box an absolute dream in this situation.

Having now taken the auto-route, I honestly cannot imagine going back to manual again (whether age is making me lazy I don`t know ), but I feel that the ideal would be something like the SMG box that was in the E46 M3`s. Now THAT sounds like a perfect set-up !
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #16
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
You can see why i love my DXB so much (diesel tuned). One Quick MOTAH.

Alot of us have seen the Speed Religeon beast in the flesh, it does look awesome. I love it.
      08-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #17
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
You can see why i love my DXB so much (diesel tuned). One Quick MOTAH.

Alot of us have seen the Speed Religeon beast in the flesh, it does look awesome. I love it.

Go on then Carlos; I`m the "new kid" around here, so exactly what is the DXB mate ?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #18
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
without starting a diesel vs petrol war

AN M3 beater LOL

08-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #19
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant397 View Post
I have just returned from a trip down to Lydney in Gloucestershire this morning, 300 miles there and back and thought you may want to see a pic of the horrendous fuel mileage I got in the d3 because of light precipitation and the resulting traffic it caused...

295.9 miles on half a tank and only 300 miles left as I arrived at my motorway exit!
I hope you didn't go through Gloucester and out on the A40, given the current state of the road.

A quick pic of the 3d... (you never replied to what format you'd like the pics in Ant)
Attached Images

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #20
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah.......now I see Carlos.

I take it that "DXB" is some sort of tuning firm/package ?

Whatever it is anyway, it looked feckin quick, and looked more like an M3 destroyer, as opposed to just a beater.

Nice one !!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #21
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

mjh93sa: Excellent photo mate; any chance of posting it in a bigger size for us all, as I would like to make it my wallpaper for the next few weeks !
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #22
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by encee View Post
Ah.......now I see Carlos.

I take it that "DXB" is some sort of tuning firm/package ?

Whatever it is anyway, it looked feckin quick, and looked more like an M3 destroyer, as opposed to just a beater.

Nice one !!
Love that pic of Ants BADBOY. He asked me to do a burnout comp with him, but i declined

I had my reasons, had done too much of this that week

oh and the DXB is my car mate