E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Got pulled over - no front license plates

07-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
sandeep
BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Got pulled over - no front license plates

What a start of the day, I am heading to the office in the morning in my car, I see a trooper at a turn and go past him and the next thing i know i see blue and red flashlights behind me. The guy pulls me over and tells me he stopped me becoz my car didnt have front license plates. I told the officer that there were no brackets in the front to put them on and that I was new to the state...He gives me a warning and asks me to drill holes to put the plates on in the front...This sucks, I know it will spoil the look of the front end of the car... I dont want to do it. Has this happened to anyone else here?
Also, I guess he was trying to catch me for speeding i was at 70-75 in a 65 and most likely since my car didnt have the plates and have a clear plastic bra on the front, his laser couldnt get a lock on my speed and that might have pissed him off.. I guess he wants me to put on the front plates so that he can ticket me for speeding next time...But you know what 70-75 in a 65 is NOT SPEEDING in Texas. You should see the way people drice their trucks here. Everyone..even the car on the rightmost lane drive faster than that.
Sorry for ranting.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
noire07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi

get a mount, buy double stick tape and stick it on. That way you don't have to drill holes.
2007 328xi E90..Jet Black..Black Dakota Leather..Premium.Sport.CW..19" Staggered Gunmetal VMR v710..Blk Grills..Blacklines..LED Interior lights..OEM Spoiler..RR CDV..OEM Strut Bar..UUC SwayBarbarian Swaybars..H&R Coilovers..330i SSK..3 Stage Intake Manifold..BMW Performance Intake + Exhaust + Steering Wheel..PBX..V1 Hardwire..GPS Hardwire..Rear Power Outlets[Robot Happy Face]..Rear Fogs..OEM Alarm..Alpine PDX-5..Earthquake SWS 8" Subs..MB Quart RVF210[Fr+Rr]..iPod Adapter..35% Tint..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep View Post
What a start of the day, I am heading to the office in the morning in my car, I see a trooper at a turn and go past him and the next thing i know i see blue and red flashlights behind me. The guy pulls me over and tells me he stopped me becoz my car didnt have front license plates. I told the officer that there were no brackets in the front to put them on and that I was new to the state...He gives me a warning and asks me to drill holes to put the plates on in the front...This sucks, I know it will spoil the look of the front end of the car... I dont want to do it. Has this happened to anyone else here?
Also, I guess he was trying to catch me for speeding i was at 70-75 in a 65 and most likely since my car didnt have the plates and have a clear plastic bra on the front, his laser couldnt get a lock on my speed and that might have pissed him off.. I guess he wants me to put on the front plates so that he can ticket me for speeding next time...But you know what 70-75 in a 65 is NOT SPEEDING in Texas. You should see the way people drice their trucks here. Everyone..even the car on the rightmost lane drive faster than that.
Sorry for ranting.
I purchased this kit:

http://gominigo.com/NHLPB-BMW.html

and it worked great for me when I had to put mine on. Now, in regards to your comment about the cop not being able to detect your speed because of your clear bra... unless you have the clear bra of the future with the embedded laser jam feature ,that has nothing to do with it.

If he really wanted to give you a speeding ticket, he would've done so without your plate, and go by your VIN once he approached you, or the back plate even... not having a plate and having a clear bra doesn't in any way, shape or form, affect their radars!

But, try that product I linked... I used it and it avoids you having to drill holes!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i Coupe

What a anal cop. He should be chasing bad guys. I would NOT drill anything into that beautiful car. I have not had front license plates for almost 3 years. I got one ticket, paid it. It was worth every dime. The front looks terrible with a US plate on it. I think the odds of you're being stopped again are not great. Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Chitown-Irish
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 xDrive35i

It used to be in Illinois they wouldn't stop you for not having a front plate as the primary reason for pulling you over but include it as a secondary violation (I went several years without an incident. Got a few tisk's tisk's but no ticket).

Lately they have been using any excuse to pull you over. It mainly depends on the area where you live (mine is really bad) and the mood of the police officer.
2011 X3 xDrive35i F25 (CPO) Space Grey/Black Leather, Packages: Premium, Cold Weather, BMW Apps, Sirius and Technology. BMW CCA Member (WindyCity Chapter). Former cars: 06 750i E65 (CPO) 07 E90 335i (bought used but had problematic iDrive so sold it to get 7-series)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Sorry for ranting.
that's all speculation unless he told you that he was trying to catch you for speeding initially. He probably got your speed with his radar/laser and saw that since you were less than 10mph over the speed limit, which is why he only brought up the front plate issue. So far no one I know has gotten a ticket for going 75 in a 65. However I know people who've gotten a ticket for going 80. btw what's a plastic clear bra?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
sandeep
BMW
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your comments guys. gmoney, I checked out that link and honestly those plates look yuck on the side...i just wish they abolish this law of having the front license plates or change the look and feel of the US license plates...the European plates look much better and I wouldnt mind putting those on.
And I mean the trooper had other better things to do. You wont believe it, and I forgot to mention that where I was pulled over, there was a ramp at about 800ft away joining with the freeway. When the trooper pulled me over right at that time I saw a truck join the freeway at a blazing fast speed. Obviously the truck couldnt have seen the trooper and me but I think the trooper could have done something better today by actually catching the real bad guy on the road than give me this lame warning .....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Another option is the Skene bracket, but I think I like the gominigo one better.

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
magid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 135i

I just got the one from gominigo.com and its great. Very easy to install and when I go back to school in the fall I will have no problems taking off the plate again.
      07-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

I don't have a front plate either but I do not get annoyed when they pull me over because it's the law and the cop is simply doing his job. Lucky for me in MA no plate does not count towards insurance points so in the past 7 years I got nailed with a $35 ticket twice and I am willing to live with that.
      07-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Supposedly if you have the Green plates in MA, you dont need a front plate. To the OP, this is exactly the reason why I have a front plate. Not worth the hassle, time and fine you will get for not having one. Yes, I agree it kills the look of the front, but its the law here.

For people complaining about cops not doing their job: If someone hit your BMW and then drove away, and you had a chance to see the front of their car, wouldnt you rather get a glimpse of that cars plate, then nothing at all? If its the law, cops are just doing their job.

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
mikefern
Rep
Drives: 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintivilus View Post
Another option is the Skene bracket, but I think I like the gominigo one better.

i got the skene bracket...i like it, looks much better than big bulky bracket. I'll post pics when I get home. If I were you I'd go with the skene. I wish I didn't have to as well, but I draw enough attention to my car with illegal tints so...Furthermore, you don't need them pulling you over for crap like that when you have a couple on a Saturday night...that's always my fear. Bad timing.
      07-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

I've said this many times before: if your state requires a front plate, suck it up and put on a front plate. I'm very sorry that it ruins the look of your car, but if everyone else has to live with it, you can too. At the very least, if you choose not to do it, don't complain when you get a ticket.
      07-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #14
sandeep
BMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThree View Post
If someone hit your BMW and then drove away, and you had a chance to see the front of their car, wouldnt you rather get a glimpse of that cars plate, then nothing at all? If its the law, cops are just doing their job.
I guess if someone hit your BMW and then drove away, you're more likely to see the back of the car than the front. I dont think anyone drives in reverse after hitting you...
Well, you know I have nothing against cops or anything but its just silly that some states have the requirement of the front plates when there are so many other states that are doing just fine without one.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

But its not a surprise if you know its the law!

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #16
Pappy
Resident Septuagenarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i Coupe MT w/hand brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefern View Post
...Furthermore, you don't need them pulling you over for crap like that when you have a couple on a Saturday night...that's always my fear. Bad timing.
So you like to drive drunk????

Sent from my keyboard using hunt and peck...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #17
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe

Quote:
I checked out that link and honestly those plates look yuck on the side .....

I agree with you... it looks bad, but it's just so you can clear your ticket and then take it off again!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #18
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Better to have it on than worry every single day about getting pulled over or ticketed.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #19
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
You don't need any frames just put the plate on and double tape. Gurantee it will stay on for ages. Make sure to have it on each edge and two in the middle. Did that to my GTI and am doing that on my 3. Had the car for almost two years. GTi over 5 years still on.
      07-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #20
Balthazar_B
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

There's also this, which is supposed to work on the 3-series, and is good if you're mostly concerned about getting a ticket while parked (the norm in some places). I'm not sure if it's the same device as this, but they both seem to work the same way.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #21
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
The front plates are for laser speed guns as well as traffic/speed cameras. I hate the way that they look, but as others have said, get them if only to avoid being hassled by the cops.

A few years ago I got pulled over at 2AM in my Boxster for not having front plates. I was going an indicated 35 MPH in a 35 MPH zone, so I was likely under the speed. He seemed convinced that he was going to be able to find something to write me up on for being on the road at 2AM, but couldn't. I would bet that if I had been driving my Subaru Outback at the time with no front plate that he wouldn't have even given me a second look, but the Boxster was too much for him to resist. I can't say I was overly upset about it as he just gave me a warning to fix it, but it was annoying in any case.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #22
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintivilus View Post

I ordered one of these, too. I just haven't mounted it yet.
Appreciate 0