BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

X3 20d loaner

Have my m40i in the shop for 2 weeks (got some damage from a ladder that fell down on the car and also taking care of left tailpipe that is losing color).

Anyway thought it could be interesting to share my take on the 20d in comparison to the m40i.

The 20d has the m-sport package on 18" winter tires with adaptive. The ride is substantially more floaty and soft. Sport mode in the 20d feels much softer than comfort mode in my m40i.

The motor is night and day. The 20d is fine in city traffic up to about 2k revs. After that it feels dead compared to the m40i. I have the pedal to the ground very often in the 20d. in the m40i when you do that, bye bye. Fuel consumption is almost 50% lower though.

Brakes are actually not that different. I have to test this some more but the 20d standard brakes don't feel that different from the m-sport brakes.

My m40 is basically fully loaded a part from the sun roof. The 20d doesn't have much. Things I really miss are: Automatic cruise control with lane assist, HUD, electric seats, Auto parking, lumbar support, tinted windows

Something I could have done without in the m40 is the leather dash. The standard dash in the 20d feels almost the same except for no visual stitches.

All in all the 20d offers a nice comfortable ride with low consumption. If you want some action under the pedal though you have to look for a bigger engine.

Oh yeah and the 20d is in phytonic blue. Almost starting to regret carbon black on my m40 but that could partly be because my car has been insanely dirty on and off during the winter.

Last edited by BMWGuySweden; 03-28-2019 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Ha! So the 20d does have something going for it, the colour! (Phytonic Blue for the Win)

Was your exhaust pipe problem same as mentioned in this thread? If yes, keep us posted with an update there to share your experience.

M40i Exhaust tips flaking https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1558992
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Yeah same exhaust problem as mentioned in that thread. Dealer said they wouldn't replace the exhaust because same thing would happen.

Haha the Phytonic really is a great color. Liking it more and more. Have some regrets but it's easy to not like carbon black when it looks like this all the time:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      03-27-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuySweden View Post

My m40 is basically fully loaded a part from the sun roof. The 20d doesn't have much. Things I really miss electric seats, .
I don't relay understood why most miss electric seats, if you share car, ok i can understand but if you are the only driver then .... you do not adjust seat every time you get in. Yes, is more accurate then manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 02:37 AM   #5
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
I don't relay understood why most miss electric seats, if you share car, ok i can understand but if you are the only driver then .... you do not adjust seat every time you get in. Yes, is more accurate then manual.
I'm not the only driver. Girlfriend drives it occasionally
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuySweden View Post

My m40 is basically fully loaded a part from the sun roof. The 20d doesn't have much. Things I really miss electric seats, .
Electric seats also give you more flexibility in fine tuning the position of any parameters. It's like continuous transmission vs transitional ones with define gear ratios.
Appreciate 0