BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Fuses - switched vs constant power Solved!

03-23-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Fuses - switched vs constant power Solved!

Hello All.

F90 front fuse box. Located lateral front passenger side under the removable panel below glove box.

Front most row of large fuses F20 to F29 are switched off (about a 10 minute time out).

Rear most row of large fuses F48 to F59 are constant.

Slot 23 and Slot 49 are not used so perfect for a Fuse Tap connection.

The "Hot" side of the fuses is the outside (lateral side) so you need to orient your fuse tap properly. Fuse Tap requires BOTH fuses be plugged in since the first fuse (the one that ends up closer to the fuse box) provides fused protection for BOTH the circuit you are taping and to the FUSE tap output fuse. I checked it's wire setup with volt meter.

More photos on takedown of panels to follow.

Photos not great, iPhone, dark garage....cropped. LOL. I'll reshoot with my Canon EOS 1DX with Flash later. (JK, I am not)

Mike
Attached Images

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 7
      03-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
MDJAK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Thank you for this. About to do my dash cam and radar detector on my new M5
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
halfbent
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
India
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Hello All.

F90 front fuse box. Located lateral front passenger side under the removable panel below glove box.

Front most row of large fuses F20 to F29 are switched off (about a 10 minute time out).

The "Hot" side of the fuses is the outside (lateral side) so you need to orient your fuse tap properly. Fuse Tap requires BOTH fuses be plugged in since the first fuse (the one that ends up closer to the fuse box) provides fused protection for BOTH the circuit you are taping and to the FUSE tap output fuse. I checked it's wire setup with volt meter.

Photos not great, iPhone, dark garage....cropped. LOL. I'll reshoot with my Canon EOS 1DX with Flash later. (JK, I am not)

Mike

You. Are. Awesome.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 06:42 PM   #4
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Digging up a slightly old thread. I'm trying to hard-wire my radar detector and cannot get any power from this fuse panel. In my 2018 I just used the mirror tap and it worked fine, but I cannot get the panel off and I'm not going to risk breaking it. So I figured I'd try this fuse panel. Easy to get to, but I just cannot get any power. I've tried my setup in my other vehicle and it works fine so it's not a faulty fuse tap or power cable. I tried both slots mentioned above and nothing. I even pulled one of the existing fuses and tried to piggyback off that. Still nothing.

Any suggestions? Might my fuse tap not be long enough? Again, it worked fine in my wife's car, but it's a MB.

This is for a 2022 F90 M5C.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 06:46 PM   #5
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

One section will be always hot and the other switched off with the ignition, you'll need a volt meter to check. Remember the fuses have two sides, one will be the hot side and the other not. To test for 'off' with the ignition you have to wait about 5 minutes for the circuit to time out. Some cars even longer.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:12 AM   #6
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
One section will be always hot and the other switched off with the ignition, you'll need a volt meter to check. Remember the fuses have two sides, one will be the hot side and the other not. To test for 'off' with the ignition you have to wait about 5 minutes for the circuit to time out. Some cars even longer.

Mike
Thanks. I broke out my voltmeter and turns out I had a bad ground. I used a screw that I thought was grounded, but it was not. I pulled the carpet back slightly and there is actually a screw into the chassis that already has a ground from something else. So I tested that and viola!

Thanks man.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 07:43 AM   #7
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb View Post
Thanks. I broke out my voltmeter and turns out I had a bad ground. I used a screw that I thought was grounded, but it was not. I pulled the carpet back slightly and there is actually a screw into the chassis that already has a ground from something else. So I tested that and viola!

Thanks man.
That is key. Glad you worked it out.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 08:13 AM   #8
Kohan
Kohan
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Hello All.

Mike

Hey. Do you happen to have the link of the fuse tap you used? Can't seem to find it anywhere

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 10:21 AM   #9
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Car Vehicle Mini Fuse Holder Cable Adapter with 5AMP Fuse and Negative Ground Wire Circuit Blade Style ATM ATT Low Profit TAP by HitCar - Medium Size
by CZTrader02
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NWRH9V...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #10
Kohan
Kohan
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Hey all.
Need 40Amp power for a PA speaker, anyone know where I can pull power from. Couldn't find any fuse taps that can handle 40a

2019 5 series

Any clues would be helpful!

Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 11:59 AM   #11
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

in front fuse box, second fuse from right is a 40....
Mike

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 07:25 AM   #12
bmoss1610
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp; 2022 M5 Comp

Power Up Question

This is excellent and super helpful, thanks! I wired up my detector in my 2022 M5 the same way and it works well, with one odd thing: If I'm in and out of the car during the day, the detector will power up, stay on when I leave the car, and then power down after the delay (10 min or so) consistently. However, when I leave the car overnight, the detector will not power up when I start the car, it requires that I press the power button (on the detector) and then it powers up normally. I'm taking a guess that the car has a "smart" power management system where it supplies less than full power to circuits after "going to sleep" and that it then provides full power when the attached device calls for it? Any thoughts on whether that's possible? Anyone else had this happen? Either way, thanks again.

Quote:
Hello All.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 06:38 AM   #13
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The circuit for whatever you tapped into probably wires that way. The car does go to sleep and wake up and there are things you can do to trigger those events before they would otherwise occur as part of the car’s electronic system. I’d probably research that.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 01:06 PM   #14
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

I checked to see, my radar and dash cam go off after about 5 minute. They come on again if you disturb the car in any way, open a door, open the trunk, kick it hard enough.

Too bad the car does not have an At Home mode where it is off completely. I get the 'vehicle recovery' aspect of the always talking to the cloud BS, but the thieves get around that pretty quickly. (disconnect the battery, car is quiet).

Mike

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 02:08 PM   #15
Paul.LCI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 LCI

Quote:
I checked to see, my radar and dash cam go off after about 5 minute. They come on again if you disturb the car in any way, open a door, open the trunk, kick it hard enough.

Too bad the car does not have an At Home mode where it is off completely. I get the 'vehicle recovery' aspect of the always talking to the cloud BS, but the thieves get around that pretty quickly. (disconnect the battery, car is quiet).

Mike
What fuse do you recommend tapping into for a radar detector?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 02:40 PM   #16
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If you lock the car does it stay asleep longer?

Radar is low amp. Honestly I would just use a mirror tap wiring kit. I did. But if you insist on using the fuse box, I would choose a low amp fuse and use a fuse tap. You could go off the passenger side footwell fuse box. I run my meth pump that is in the engine compartment from there.
Appreciate 0