E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Just got alignment and parking brake adjusted at garage - now rear brakes rumble

03-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just got alignment and parking brake adjusted at garage - now rear brakes rumble

OK so here's the deal. This weekend I replaced my shocks and struts. All OEM & OEM springs.

Today I had an alignment done at a local garage. I also asked them to adjust my rear parking brake b/c it was getting loose.

When I picked up my car I feel now a rumble in the back when braking.

Here's the kicker I know I am approaching a point where I need to replace my rear rotors and pads, and honestly this rumble feels like warped rotors.

But my question is why am I feeling it now and not before the parking brake getting adjusted ... would the parking brake adjustment effect the operation of my rear brakes?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr710 View Post
OK so here's the deal. This weekend I replaced my shocks and struts. All OEM & OEM springs.

Today I had an alignment done at a local garage. I also asked them to adjust my rear parking brake b/c it was getting loose.

When I picked up my car I feel now a rumble in the back when braking.

Here's the kicker I know I am approaching a point where I need to replace my rear rotors and pads, and honestly this rumble feels like warped rotors.

But my question is why am I feeling it now and not before the parking brake getting adjusted ... would the parking brake adjustment effect the operation of my rear brakes?
The only thing I could see is they adjusted it to much and it's always making slight contact with the inside of your rotor.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
The only thing I could see is they adjusted it to much and it's always making slight contact with the inside of your rotor.
that's what i was thinking, but i didn't notice any type of drag initially, but even still why would that make it rumble?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr710 View Post
that's what i was thinking, but i didn't notice any type of drag initially, but even still why would that make it rumble?
What do you mean rumble. Shaking?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #5
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
What do you mean rumble. Shaking?
It's only when I press the brake, but during braking the back rumbles .. it's pretty much the exact feeling of a warped rotor on the front of your car but it's just in the back.

If this happened normally I would say it's likely time my rear rotors get changed (because they do have a lip and do need to) BUT what's throwing me off is that it only started happening today after they did the alignment and parking brake adjustment.

So i'm just thinking like ... were my rear brakes not engaging? It doesn't make sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

I believe the issue is when the rear drums are tightened, somehow that tightens the whole brake unit and the calipers grab harder .. and that the problem was my rotors.

working theory based on parking brake being tightened and then loosened and the vibration being less.

i'm replacing the rotors .. so we'll see if it goes away.
Appreciate 0