BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
CraigL
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 M-Sport

Unhappy 2019 X3 CarPlay Issues -- Constant disconnects

Hi Folks -

Recently got a 2019 X3 and have been mostly loving it.. everything except CarPlay.

I was pretty stoked to have this option bud sadly, I get constant disconnects primarily when on calls (doesn't even take 2 minutes for the disconnect/reconnect to occur) but also when using Waze, Google Maps or Amazon Music.

It's become so frustrating that I've gone back to straight Bluetooth connectivity and have zero issues.

I've got an iPhone X running the latest iOS (12.1.4) and have tried re-pairing with the car a couple times in hopes that would solve it but.. no dice. Did some homework and it seems like I am far from the only person experiencing this.

My dealer says the same thing, that tons of people have been complaining but there is no work-around as of now.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Obviously if this continues there's no way I'll re-subscribe in another year when the free trial is up but I would really like to be able to use the feature.....

Thanks a ton in advance.

-Craig
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
Dutch1576
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

There is a known bug/issue with iOS 12.1.4. You can read more about it here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#1bf56df131d0

I've purposely not updated my iPhone XS Max to iOS 12.1.4 due to disconnection issues, lack of being able to connect to WiFi and cellular. Hopefully Apple is working on a solution.

Not sure if this is the root cause of your issues, but may be a starting point.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
CraigL
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch1576 View Post
There is a known bug/issue with iOS 12.1.4. You can read more about it here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#1bf56df131d0

I've purposely not updated my iPhone XS Max to iOS 12.1.4 due to disconnection issues, lack of being able to connect to WiFi and cellular. Hopefully Apple is working on a solution.

Not sure if this is the root cause of your issues, but may be a starting point.
This was happening on 12.1.3, but good to hear that there's enough people complaining for there to be a Forbes article about it.

I don't see CarPlay mentioned in there but am hopeful it is related. Hopefully this will be fixed in 12.2!

Thanks for the link.

-Craig
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #4
Dutch1576
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Anytime. Here is another article I just found quickly about iOS and CarPlay issues: https://appletoolbox.com/2018/12/car...te-how-to-fix/

There seems to be a lot of articles available from people having similar issues with version of iOS 12.1.x.

I've had some issues, but not many. My issues are generally impacting Waze, and just started this prior weekend while driving through an area where reception can sometimes be spotty. This doesn't sound like what you're experiencing, but you're definitely not alone.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

I’m beta testing 12.2 and have had no disconnect issues what so ever.
Appreciate 0