Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Why Do Rfts Explode?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Why Do Rfts Explode?

Im just curious, why do run flats explode the way they do... I understand that they are supposed to be a safer tire due to the fact that you can run on them when they have been punctured, but at the same time, it seems that non run flats dont usually end up causing as much as an aggressive response on the wheel. if you have a flat, shouldnt a beacon simply go off and your tires shouldnt be compromised.

Ive never ever worried about being on whatever tire, even when they were worn to shiat on the inside, poor alignments and so forth. now that i have these "SAFE" tires, ive never had so many safety concerns regarding tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
maybe it is a feature designed to let you know kapoot?
      07-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
BayAreaE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91' 850i

Garage List
1991 850i  [7.75]
2007 328i Coupe  [0.00]
The RFTs have a very rigid sidewall in order to support the weight of the vehicle once the pressure is critically low. Performance tires (or any quality tire) need to have some give in the sidewall for hard cornering, thus the RTFs have a tendency to bubble and blow in an unusual manner. The rigid sidewall seems to be the cause, but hopefully a tire/wheel vendor or anyone w/in depth tire knowledge should be able to chime in with more detail

Last edited by BayAreaE92; 07-21-2008 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
Haywire
Canada
Rep

ok, well now we are getting somewhere...but why would they design a tire like that, that can blow out even if theres no critical error within the tire. Ive heard that simply the camber of the car being as it is, can sometimes lead to the exploding of these tires.

that doesnt sound all that great for the extra money you pay. yeah sure, you have a slow leak, drive on it for a few hundred miles before you fix it...no problems. but be careful, it might fu@king explode and cause you to crash your car.

like, WTF?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
BayAreaE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91' 850i

Garage List
1991 850i  [7.75]
2007 328i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywire View Post
ok, well now we are getting somewhere...but why would they design a tire like that, that can blow out even if theres no critical error within the tire. Ive heard that simply the camber of the car being as it is, can sometimes lead to the exploding of these tires.

that doesnt sound all that great for the extra money you pay. yeah sure, you have a slow leak, drive on it for a few hundred miles before you fix it...no problems. but be careful, it might fu@king explode and cause you to crash your car.

like, WTF?
+1

Agreed...Getting the RTFs off my car was priority #1. It would make sense that camber adjustments could cause blowouts because one sidewall would support more weight than the other (depending on positive or negative camber) and more force during cornering. As you've probably experienced rigid rubber doesn't slowly flex, rather it aggressively bends with enough force. An aggressive bend would cause a rapid distribution in tire pressure, increasing the chances of a blowout.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
phheww, so I am glad I rarely do those crazy turns....
      07-22-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
wtf i didn't know they explode

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 01:35 AM   #8
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinhci View Post
wtf i didn't know they explode
LoL! as mentioned previously... i never once worried about something like that with my non run flat tires of the past. Ive done bridgestone, euro TA's, faulkens and so forth, none of them were run flats.

Then i finally get around to the run flat tires and I see images like this.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywire View Post
LoL! as mentioned previously... i never once worried about something like that with my non run flat tires of the past. Ive done bridgestone, euro TA's, faulkens and so forth, none of them were run flats.

Then i finally get around to the run flat tires and I see images like this.
Images like what?

The RFT's are probably the number one reason I will never buy a BMW again. Of course I could do aftermarket wheels, but I'd rather use those funds towards savings or other much more important things. But I shouldn't have to change my wheels/tires to get a better ride and not have all the issues that go along with RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Images like what?

The RFT's are probably the number one reason I will never buy a BMW again. Of course I could do aftermarket wheels, but I'd rather use those funds towards savings or other much more important things. But I shouldn't have to change my wheels/tires to get a better ride and not have all the issues that go along with RFTs.
"the images" sorry, when i was typing that post i was thinking of some blown out tire pictures ive seen on this site

and i feel ya on the money aspect as well, i would much rather be on a NON RUN FLAT, but i just bought a 6o ooo dollar vehicle, why the fu@k would i wanna spend another 12oo on tires when i already have rubber on the rims.
Appreciate 0