E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > are you hanging on to your manual due to lack of new ones?

01-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

are you hanging on to your manual due to lack of new ones?

I totally get that nobody wants a manual anymore, but it's what I like. I plan on being the first and last owner of my 335i.

I have to admit that I am surprised, that even in Europe, the new Z4 will only have a manual in the base trim. Doesn't surprise me that the new 3 and new Z4 have no sticks available in the USA.

Will the day come when if we bring our car to a BMW or indie shop, that we have need to worry that perhaps nobody there can drive a stick? I actually was thinking that when I took my car to the dealer for a PA state inspection last month (I let the dealer do it because they charge less and lift the car properly, and offer a loaner)....

edit p.s. I like watching YouTubes of big rigs. Here's the 2019 Peterbilt blah blah blah. When I see it has an auto, I just end the vid...since most big rigs are autos too today, I suppose the fat lady has sung.

Last edited by John 070; 01-16-2019 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
Fritzer944.50
      01-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I use to valet park my car at the Philly airport since I never had to worry about finding a place to park and who parked next to me. The place was great they would drive you to the airport in your car and when you return drop the car at the curb for you. Then I notice the % of people who did not know how to drive a stick was going up. When I first went there if the guy could not drive a stick they usually turned around and asked another driver to take me. Now the person would just wing it and fail most times. I stop using the place which I hated stopping, but I knew they would damage the transmission.

In the next year I plan to get a new BMW and hate to not have a stick if I can not get it.

Last edited by Maestro; 01-16-2019 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

I admit its a shame that manuals are a dying breed. The only solace I have is that they are still being sold in comparatively higher numbers in markets outside of North America. It will probably be more expensive to buy them in the future, but still possible under the 25 year import rule.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
gtvr6
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

The short answer is yes. I'm at a point where my car doesn't have a lot of miles on it but I need to spend a good bit of money to repair some oil leaks. If this were an automatic, I think I would have traded it in a few years ago but because it's a manual, I keep debating and finding reasons to repair it.

That said, I am trying to find time to test drive a manual F30 at a used car lot near me. I've also been considering getting an automatic. I have a play car that's a stick so I'd still get to row my own gears. I'm still leaning towards keeping what I have.

If there's nothing wrong with what you have, hang on to it.
Appreciate 1
dwashy64.50
      01-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I totally get that nobody wants a manual anymore, but it's what I like. I plan on being the first and last owner of my 335i.

I have to admit that I am surprised, that even in Europe, the new Z4 will only have a manual in the base trim. Doesn't surprise me that the new 3 and new Z4 have no sticks available in the USA.

Will the day come when if we bring our car to a BMW or indie shop, that we have need to worry that perhaps nobody there can drive a stick? I actually was thinking that when I took my car to the dealer for a PA state inspection last month (I let the dealer do it because they charge less and lift the car properly, and offer a loaner)....

edit p.s. I like watching YouTubes of big rigs. Here's the 2019 Peterbilt blah blah blah. When I see it has an auto, I just end the vid...since most big rigs are autos too today, I suppose the fat lady has sung.
I wonder this every time I drop my car off for work- usually a BMW dealer or a BMW-specific Indy shop.
I always think, they send some 18year old kid out there, he gets in, and doesn't even know how the start my car, let alone drive a stick without burning up the clutch.
I also sometimes wonder if they take turns driving it, because it is a stick, or use it as a test vehicle to "see who can drive a stick"
... I am somewhat joking, but also somewhat serious.
I love my manual and yes automatics are great nowadays, are faster, more reliable, cheaper, etc, etc etc.... but there is no replacement for the amount of engagement having 3 real pedals gives you. Knowing you can "money shift" your car and absolutely trash the transmission. And rowing through the gears on a spirited back-road drive.
The fact that the new 3-series doesn't offer a stick is crazy to think. I can only imagine if they pull this with the new M3... Which, in a reality is inevitable to happen.

#SAVETHEMANUALS

...where in PA are you? What dealer do you use?
      01-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I use to valet park my car at the Philly airport since I never had to worry about finding a place to park and who parked next to me. The place was great they would drive you to the airport in your car and when you return drop the car at the curb for you. Then I notice the % of people who did not know how to drive a stick was going up. When I first went there if the guy could not drive a stick they usually turned around and asked another driver to take me. Now the person would just wing it and fail most times. I stop using the place which I hated to stopping but I knew they would damage the transmission.

In the next year I plan to get a new BMW and hate to not have a stick if I can not get it.
+1. Some years ago, my wife used the valet service at a hotel. The guy messed the shifter on her 2008 Saab. At the end, the valet company paid for the repairs ($600 approx.) but it was not a pleasant experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post

Good for you keeping the car. I have an E90 auto but I bought it with the intent to teach my kid how to do repairs and maintenance and for him to learn to drive. I wanted a manual to teach him how to drive that but the price was too good on this to pass up. He now knows how to replace coils and spark plugs, and do an oil change! The driving part should be soon, so I plan to find an E90 with a manual for me (and to teach my daughter to drive manual, not too far away).

Are most big rigs autos now? I didn't know that. When I'm bored I watch YouTube videos of people shifting the 18 speeds and then wonder how people can complain about shifting a 5 or 6 speed gearbox in a car. Imagine 18 gears to concentrate on, all in a much larger wider and longer vehicle!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Mostly.

And I definitely pick the places I let work on it or drive it based on the transmission. My wife and I always get our state inspections done at the toyota dealer that is a couple hundred yards from our house, but I took the BMW to another shop that I knew worked on nicer cars. I figure Toyota hasn't sold a manual car in quite some time (FR-S I guess, but I've never seen one at this dealer), so I'm wary they have anyone who can drive it and don't trust them not to have some toolbag that wants to take a joyride in a quick customer car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #9
Yngvejos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325i, E87 118d

I have owned one car with AT, an E39 530D touring. In the end I sold it because of the useless transmission. It was never in the gear I wanted to. I constantly had to manipulate the throttle to make it select the correct gear. When I finally got it in the gear I wanted it to be in, it would downshift or leave lockup if I was too quick on the pedal.

I decided never to buy a car with AT again.
Nowdays I drive a Mercedes Vito 2013 with AT at work, so I have to fight a retard transmission all day.
It's a relief to drive my E91 or E87 with 6mt after a day at work.

I will probably keep buying MT cars until the government force me to buy an electrical car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

At almost 163K miles on my RWD 6spd E91 I keep finding reasons to repair it and keep it than to trade it for something new(er). Recently I have looked at many cars, wagons and suvs and still can't bring myself on replacing my 11 year old E91. After owning it for 10+ years,i it still brings me joy in driving it everyday.

If it was an automatic I would have probably replaced it few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:15 PM   #11
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
I don't own any vehicles with an automatic, but I've brought my cars to BMW for recalls twice now, and both times I got a loaner.
Last year, it was a 2017-ish 328i, and I found the transmission dreadful.
This year, it was a 2018 440i coupe, and I honestly enjoyed the crap out of it. Maybe they are finally starting to get it right? Hard to say, though I'm not about to go out and buy one.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
09Monaco335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco 335i xDrive

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I plan on keeping my manual 2009 BMW 335i for a loooooooong time. This car still puts a smile on my face when I drive it after 10 years of ownership. There is simply no other car I'd rather have at this point, especially with so fewer cars now being offered with manual transmission. I'd rather just put whatever money is needed into maintaining my 335i.

I currently have about 95K miles on my car. I see on this forum there are those getting 300K miles from their 335i with proper maintenance, which gives me hope I can keep this car for many years.

I was just thinking the other day that those of us that drive cars with manual transmission should be getting a discount on car insurance since a potential thief may not know how to drive a stick, and for the extra attention required using both hands to drive a stick... versus driving an automatic with a cell phone in one hand, etc. (wishful thinking, I know)

Oh, and I avoid valet parking my car at all costs.
      01-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I think the term is...

"No shit Sherlock"
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #14
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

i specifically looked for a stick bmw.

never owned an automatic car so not sure what its like to want to get rid of a car because of the transmission.

that may change though if/when i upgrade to an e55 amg with a 5pd slushbox
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #15
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche959 View Post
i specifically looked for a stick bmw.

never owned an automatic car so not sure what its like to want to get rid of a car because of the transmission.

that may change though if/when i upgrade to an e55 amg with a 5pd slushbox
I don't think I'd call an e55 amg an upgrade if I were coming from a 959. I like the e55 quite a bit, but it's a highway car. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd want something different for when the road gets twisty.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #16
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by srey View Post
I don't think I'd call an e55 amg an upgrade if I were coming from a 959. I like the e55 quite a bit, but it's a highway car. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd want something different for when the road gets twisty.
i never drive the 959 though. too worried about getting into an accident, vandalized or stolen.

at this point its just a well maintained piece of art. sometimes i rent it out for photoshoots if the $$$ is right.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #17
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
To add: My 2007 has multiple small oil leaks, a good bit of undercarriage rust (poorly maintained before I owned it), many small scratches, a few dents, a few accidents, and 160,000 miles. I've had it for 60k of that.
I'm still planning to have it for 60k more, and I'm in the process of upgrading it to make it feel new again.
Adding this year:
- 2017 BMW NBT Evo navigation/radio/head unit
- harman kardon logic7 sound system
- heated steering wheel
- active cruise (who needs tesla autopilot anyways? and it is radar-based, so no hitting stopped firetrucks)
- front PDC

And who knows what'll be after that... HUD? lane exit assist? visual F gauge cluster?

After trying out an LCI with aluminum interior trim for a month, I can safely say that I don't like the LCI seats at all! Nor aluminum trim.

Last edited by vilord; 01-16-2019 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #18
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Uh. Ya.
Though the new 8 speed autos are FINALLY starting to understand my schizophrenic driving personality.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #19
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I have been driving only manuals since the 60's.
I really hate being on a hill where the automatic
hunts or in a corner where I can't control the torque because
I have no control over what gear I am in.
That being said the new automatics are way better than they
used to be .
Drove a x2 the other day it was pretty good but I think I like
the VW manumatic better. Also they still sell a manual.
I may cave I don't know
I was holding out to go totally electric but there are a couple of
things about the model 3 that stop me.
Don't like the glass roof and tiny trunk lid.

By the way you can do way better than a Logic 7 system
with aftermarket parts. See the stereo subforum.
Couldn't get a rack for it up until last month but it seems
to be made from unobtanaium. Sold out within minutes.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #20
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

DCT > *

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #21
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Monaco335i View Post
I plan on keeping my manual 2009 BMW 335i for a loooooooong time. This car still puts a smile on my face when I drive it after 10 years of ownership. There is simply no other car I'd rather have at this point, especially with so fewer cars now being offered with manual transmission. I'd rather just put whatever money is needed into maintaining my 335i.

I currently have about 95K miles on my car. I see on this forum there are those getting 300K miles from their 335i with proper maintenance, which gives me hope I can keep this car for many years.

I was just thinking the other day that those of us that drive cars with manual transmission should be getting a discount on car insurance since a potential thief may not know how to drive a stick, and for the extra attention required using both hands to drive a stick... versus driving an automatic with a cell phone in one hand, etc. (wishful thinking, I know)

Oh, and I avoid valet parking my car at all costs.
I am the original owner of my 07 335 with production date of 10/06 I bought it directly from the production floor and it was one of the very first 335I manuals in the US. It now has 168K miles on it, and I plan to do marathon maintenance on the car this spring since it had some oil leaks and need new shocks and stuff, I want to keep this car running well since it is joy to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbp6us View Post
DCT > *
Heavier?
Appreciate 0