E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding assistance needed!

01-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
BLUSMBL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 Xdrive

Coding assistance needed!

I've got a new to me 2007 328xi with a replaced dash cluster. Car was in an accident, and the airbags likely deployed, if that matters. I did not do the cluster replacing. It shows the tamper dot next to the mileage. That doesn't bother me much; the actual mileage is just barely higher than what the dash shows (71k vs. 68k). The problem is that the red BRAKE light warning is displayed and will not go away no matter what I try repair-wise. I've replaced everything, including the brake wear sensors. That light is causing the car to fail state inspection, so I can't get tags. The brakes are otherwise in perfect working order, including the e-brake.

Per the guy who sold me the car, the cluster needs to be coded to the car (based on what a dealership told him). I took the car to a local indie tech I trust (have worked with them for years), and they said the same thing. They can't override the VIN.

My searches here suggest that I need a new EEPROM? I'm decent with computers and electronics, but by no means a coding wizard. So... help!

I am a bit desperate... trying to get the car through MD inspection, and cannot. Have about a week to get it done. Will gladly compensate anyone who can help.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #2
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUSMBL View Post
I've got a new to me 2007 328xi with a replaced dash cluster. Car was in an accident, and the airbags likely deployed, if that matters. I did not do the cluster replacing. It shows the tamper dot next to the mileage. That doesn't bother me much; the actual mileage is just barely higher than what the dash shows (71k vs. 68k). The problem is that the red BRAKE light warning is displayed and will not go away no matter what I try repair-wise. I've replaced everything, including the brake wear sensors. That light is causing the car to fail state inspection, so I can't get tags. The brakes are otherwise in perfect working order, including the e-brake.

Per the guy who sold me the car, the cluster needs to be coded to the car (based on what a dealership told him). I took the car to a local indie tech I trust (have worked with them for years), and they said the same thing. They can't override the VIN.

My searches here suggest that I need a new EEPROM? I'm decent with computers and electronics, but by no means a coding wizard. So... help!

I am a bit desperate... trying to get the car through MD inspection, and cannot. Have about a week to get it done. Will gladly compensate anyone who can help.

TIA
PMed