F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Launch control in a 2015 335i?
Studio RSR

01-04-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
GrabEmByTheBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Launch control in a 2015 335i?

I've got a 2015 335i (F30 N55) w/ M Sports package.

I've read a few threads but after trying it myself, could not get the 'flag' to appear on the dash while trying the launch control instructions on page 75 of my manual.

Is launch control enabled on these versions of the 335i? Where should I see the flag logo appear? I've seen versions w/ a big orange flag in the top center of the dash, and another video from an older 335i with a small white flag in the lower right corner of the dash. For me, no flags

I'm also curious if someone can put my mind at ease as to whether or not doing this is damaging to the engine/transmission/drivetrain, etc. Is it bad to go WOT for a few seconds while holding the brakes?

Here's how I tried:
Sport + mode active
Sport shifting active
Press brake firmly
Push gas to WOT and hold for a few seconds. I also tried at 2.5k rpms like I saw someone on the youtubes do. No flag appeared on the dash

The first couple of times I tried it I assumed Sport + mode would turn traction control off - but apparently (according to a thread here) that is only 'partially off'. So I then tried by holding the t/c button until `DSC off` appeared on the dashboard - still no luck, although this time I only held the gas for ~2 seconds because I felt like there's no way this could be good on the car! Hoping that I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #2
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabEmByTheBimmer View Post
I've got a 2015 335i (F30 N55) w/ M Sports package.

I've read a few threads but after trying it myself, could not get the 'flag' to appear on the dash while trying the launch control instructions on page 75 of my manual.

Is launch control enabled on these versions of the 335i? Where should I see the flag logo appear? I've seen versions w/ a big orange flag in the top center of the dash, and another video from an older 335i with a small white flag in the lower right corner of the dash. For me, no flags

I'm also curious if someone can put my mind at ease as to whether or not doing this is damaging to the engine/transmission/drivetrain, etc. Is it bad to go WOT for a few seconds while holding the brakes?

Here's how I tried:
Sport + mode active
Sport shifting active
Press brake firmly
Push gas to WOT and hold for a few seconds. I also tried at 2.5k rpms like I saw someone on the youtubes do. No flag appeared on the dash

The first couple of times I tried it I assumed Sport + mode would turn traction control off - but apparently (according to a thread here) that is only 'partially off'. So I then tried by holding the t/c button until `DSC off` appeared on the dashboard - still no luck, although this time I only held the gas for ~2 seconds because I felt like there's no way this could be good on the car! Hoping that I'm wrong.
Did you push the accelerator past the "kick down" point? It feels like a little button being depressed on your foot when done properly.
      01-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
iron_sultan
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 N55 335i

As stated above, my issue with getting it to appear was not pushing all the way down to depress the WOT button behind the peddle. However, I will say that my launch control causes me to still spin A LOT. So I don't really use it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
mclark2112
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

I don't think this car has launch control, I have the same vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
I don't think this car has launch control, I have the same vehicle.
If you have sport+ transmission option on the 8 speed auto, then you have launch control. I didnt think I had it either until I read the threads on this site. OP I have the same car. 2015 335i.
The engine has to be warm first. You need to drive like 6 miles without turning off the engine before it will work.
Switch to sport+, shifter to the left, mash brake pedal, and floor the Throttle.
After a second or two the revs will drop to around 2000. Keep it floored. A second or two later the launch control will activate. When ready release the brake and off you go.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:44 PM   #6
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
If you have sport+ transmission option on the 8 speed auto, then you have launch control. I didnt think I had it either until I read the threads on this site. OP I have the same car. 2015 335i.
The engine has to be warm first. You need to drive like 6 miles without turning off the engine before it will work.
Switch to sport+, shifter to the left, mash brake pedal, and floor the Throttle.
After a second or two the revs will drop to around 2000. Keep it floored. A second or two later the launch control will activate. When ready release the brake and off you go.
+1

Also, if you have launch control active, I don't think "WOT" with your foot on the brake will be an issue because it's electronically controlled anyways and I'm pretty sure there are some safeguards built in. That being said, it's probably not great for your drivetrain and will accelerate wear and tear on driveline components. I tried it a few times, just to see how it goes, but outside of the dragstrip, I don't see much use for it.
      01-13-2019, 05:27 AM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Launch control doesn't give you the best launches. It depends on the road surface and the system learns from multiple launches. Also depends on what launch rpm you set it at.

Last edited by bimmer456; 01-13-2019 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
Pittcrew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril Blue 335i Xdrive

Do all F series cars have launch control? I have an early 2013 335iX sedan.
      01-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #9
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittcrew View Post
Do all F series cars have launch control? I have an early 2013 335iX sedan.
If you have the Sport Automatic transmission, you have launch control. If you have the non-Sport Auto, you will have to do some coding to enable it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 08:59 PM   #10
akf30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i; 14' 335i xDrive

Probably user error, because you have it and should work, I've only dont it a few times, but follow the steps mentioned above and it'll work.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 03:16 AM   #11
GrabEmByTheBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

I took it out and re-tested Launch Control for the first time since posting this. After warming up vehicle, trying 4 times, for sure I didn't have this feature.

I then figured out the issue by re-reading my car's manual (who would have thought?) and researching here. While I do have an M-sport package (suspension, brakes, trim), I did not have the Steptronic Sport transmission package. This is not to be confused with sport shifting mode, which I did have (flipping the shift lever to the left). The Steptronic Sport transmission package (as opposed to the regular Steptronic transmission) can be recognized in my F30 N55 by having steering wheel shift paddles, a different shift lever, and the upgraded Steptronic Sport software (which includes Launch Control) - a package which has historically only cost $500 extra on new buildsheets. I have none of these features. Just a fat M trim steering wheel w/ no paddles and no Launch Control. The transmission hardware of the two steptronic packages is the same, so a software upgrade was all I needed. I opened up Bimmercode and was in awe that I could edit the transmission software and that Steptronic Sport was disabled this whole time! I simply enabled Steptronic Sport Transmission software, not really expecting much. But damn. The shifts feel completely different. They're so much faster and feel more aggressive (way more fun). I paired this upgrade with an update to my existing BM3 stage 1 flash tune (version 7.x promised more boost and hp) and man - this is a totally different car. The transmission is so fun now.

And as for Launch Control, that's even more fun. To see that flag pop up and get the wheels spinning a little and really take off w stage 1 torque puts a smile on my face every time. BMW manual says not to do this too frequently to avoid wear/damage. I'll try my best to listen

Last edited by GrabEmByTheBimmer; 01-13-2023 at 03:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2023, 05:54 AM   #12
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabEmByTheBimmer View Post
I took it out and re-tested Launch Control for the first time since posting this. After warming up vehicle, trying 4 times, for sure I didn't have this feature.

I then figured out the issue by re-reading my car's manual (who would have thought?) and researching here. While I do have an M-sport package (suspension, brakes, trim), I did not have the Steptronic Sport transmission package. This is not to be confused with sport shifting mode, which I did have (flipping the shift lever to the left). The Steptronic Sport transmission package (as opposed to the regular Steptronic transmission) can be recognized in my F30 N55 by having steering wheel shift paddles, a different shift lever, and the upgraded Steptronic Sport software (which includes Launch Control) - a package which has historically only cost $500 extra on new buildsheets. I have none of these features. Just a fat M trim steering wheel w/ no paddles and no Launch Control. I opened up Bimmercode and was in awe that I could edit the transmission software and that Steptronic Sport was disabled this whole time! I simply enabled Steptronic Sport Transmission software, not really expecting much. But damn. The shifts feel completely different. They're so much faster and feel more aggressive (way more fun). I paired this upgrade with an update to my existing BM3 stage 1 flash tune (version 7.x promised more boost and hp) and man - this is a totally different car. The transmission is so fun now.

And as for Launch Control, that's even more fun. To see that flag pop up and get the wheels spinning a little and really take off w stage 1 torque puts a smile on my face every time. BMW manual says not to do this too frequently to avoid wear/damage. I'll try my best to listen
Great update!!! I love when these cars allows us to modify things. This was a great find. Probably feels like a new car now.
Appreciate 1