F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > CPO Warranty...Question
proTUNING Freaks

12-31-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
YodaMan79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i Xdrive

CPO Warranty...Question

Would there be any reason why a dealership would intentionally avoid finding/fixing problems that would be covered under the CPO warranty? Something didn't seem right with the dealer I had been going to and they weren't concerned about any of the issues I brought to their attention concerning oil consumption and defrost/heat issues. They just wanted to run non-covered diagnostic testing, telling me the oil consumption was within spec and most likely the findings would not be covered under the CPO warranty for the other issues. (they had the car in their possession for over a week, doing nothing but an inspection and oil change)

Not trusting them, I took the car to a good indipendent and within 2 minutes they pointed out a significant VCG leak causing the smoking and smell I'd been concerned about. Oil was also all over the front belt area and alternator, not just a little, a significant coating all over everything in the vicinity of the oil filter housing. I'm told it's another gasket failure that would most likely be causing other significant problems in the near future with the belts.

Luckily I didn't accept the dealerships opinion that nothing was wrong. I can't figure out if they're incredibly incompetent, or if warranty work pays so poorly they wanted to pass? Either way I guess, no good. Not a good look for BMW of Reading.

Dropped my car off at another dealer toady. It'll be interesting to see what they tell me. Thanks to everyone on the forum that's been a big help with my other questions in the past.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 10:36 AM   #2
BMR_CK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I have been going to the same dealership for 17 years, but on a few occasions they have not fixed issues I would up getting corrected at another BMW dealer. I will also say that the CPO warranty is kind of a joke. I have a 2015 750i that BMWNA is “repurchasing” due to numerous issues I have had in the two months of ownership. None of the issues I had would have been covered by the CPO warranty. Luckily the car still had factory warranty.

Good luck and be persistent!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

This is interesting, can you list a sampling of the key issues you've experienced that were not covered?

What Dealerships do you deal with?
Thanks/Bill
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
YodaMan79
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. I've learned a great deal. Also, if I'm told the defrost/heat issue isn't covered I'll follow suit of another member on here that called BMW directly and got it covered. I'm tired of these companies hiding behind semantics and definitions of what is considered broken. i.e...clogged heater core
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
eddymerckx3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive sport line

to OP, be sure to read both your CPO and SULEV coverage. CPO is silent on VCG, but might be eligible if linked to failure of other component that is covered. Also, PA is partial SULEV coverage state ....VCG included in full SULEV covered states, but not sure about partial SULEV states like PA (read the fine print)

Last edited by eddymerckx3; 12-31-2018 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

The CPO coverage is not as comprehensive as the 4/50k factory warranty.

It's very limited it what it covers and it's harder for the dealer to get approval for repairs, as oppose to the factory coverage, which BMW AG basically just rubber-stamps. Hence the reason the dealer is reluctant to submit any 'ambiguous' claim or make any promises on its possible approval under any CPO or BMW Extended Coverage.

It's not just BMW, all manufacture's CPO coverage is like this and it's the same nonsense with BMW Extended warranty; very limited coverage as CPO.

I've learned this the hard way many years ago when my Acura warranty expired, the CPO kicked in and I realized it was just fluff to help push CPO vehicles, with a false sense of security

My SA, whom I attended High School with confirmed this fact. She has to jump through many hoops to get stuff covered under BMW CPO or their extended warranty.

#LiveAndLearn
Attached Images

Last edited by Poochie; 12-31-2018 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
CalCarNut1060.50
      12-31-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
YodaMan79
Enlisted Member
Rep

I tried to read more on what's covered, but from the BMW site you just get a list of things that are not covered. Similar to the above. I'd think the failure of two gaskets significantly leaking oil would be considered a defect in the material? The CPO label seems to be a false sense of security. Looks like we as consumers would be better off catching a car off lease and putting the additional $2.5-4k premium for the CPO designation aside in a contingency fund. I'll keep the thread updated with what I hear from my SA. Thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaMan79 View Post
Looks like we as consumers would be better off catching a car off lease and putting the additional $2.5-4k premium for the CPO designation aside in a contingency fund.
Put it into a mutual fund and make money off your money, then make friends with a good indy shop that specializes in German cars. If you do your due diligence and see how many people actually make use of either CPO warranties or third party extended warranties you'll find that the percentage is quite low.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The CPO coverage is not as comprehensive as the 4/50k factory warranty.

It's very limited it what it covers and it's harder for the dealer to get approval for repairs, as oppose to the factory coverage, which BMW AG basically just rubber-stamps. Hence the reason the dealer is reluctant to submit any 'ambiguous' claim or make any promises on its possible approval under any CPO or BMW Extended Coverage.

It's not just BMW, all manufacture's CPO coverage is like this and it's the same nonsense with BMW Extended warranty; very limited coverage as CPO.

I've learned this the hard way many years ago when my Acura warranty expired, the CPO kicked in and I realized it was just fluff to help push CPO vehicles, with a false sense of security

My SA, whom I attended High School with confirmed this fact. She has to jump through many hoops to get stuff covered under BMW CPO or their extended warranty.

#LiveAndLearn
^this.

CPO is fluff marketing. Do NOT rely on this alone in purchasing a BMW (or any car). While it gives you some peace of mind for the initial year, it really doesn't cover much other than major failure of the drivetrain and you're certainly on your own after the year. The certification process is a joke as well. Any interest in a CPO car, take it to an Indy shop for a 2nd opinion ,etc and go from there. Could even tell them to take a hike on the CPO fee they build into the car for sale too
Poochie9104.50
      12-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #10
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i Turbo

The difference to me is that I have a vehicle recognized by BMW NA (and its dealer network) as a CPO-approved vehicle. Sure, its not the same exact warranty as the original but that's also why it's not a new MSRP or similar retail priced car. It does, however, cover a lot more than a non-CPO car would w/o any warranty. So, it's splitting hairs IMHO. Personally, I wouldn't want to own a 2 - 3 year old BMW w/o a warranty - things are just too expensive and too technologically advanced at times to be repaired any old place. That's not to say I will dump my cars when they're out of CPO, but at that point they'll be... 6 - 7 years old and I can do the economics on replace vs. sustain.
1987 325e
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Would there be any reason why a dealership would intentionally avoid finding/fixing problems that would be covered under the CPO warranty? Something didn't seem right with the dealer I had been going to and they weren't concerned about any of the issues I brought to their attention concerning oil consumption and defrost/heat issues. They just wanted to run non-covered diagnostic testing, telling me the oil consumption was within spec and most likely the findings would not be covered under the CPO warranty for the other issues. (they had the car in their possession for over a week, doing nothing but an inspection and oil change)

Not trusting them, I took the car to a good indipendent and within 2 minutes they pointed out a significant VCG leak causing the smoking and smell I'd been concerned about. Oil was also all over the front belt area and alternator, not just a little, a significant coating all over everything in the vicinity of the oil filter housing. I'm told it's another gasket failure that would most likely be causing other significant problems in the near future with the belts.

Luckily I didn't accept the dealerships opinion that nothing was wrong. I can't figure out if they're incredibly incompetent, or if warranty work pays so poorly they wanted to pass? Either way I guess, no good. Not a good look for BMW of Reading.

Dropped my car off at another dealer toady. It'll be interesting to see what they tell me. Thanks to everyone on the forum that's been a big help with my other questions in the past.
The CPO Warranty is a service Contract with a 3rd Party that BMWNA has literally no say on what gets covered as you suggested. Likewise the Dealer has no say.

As a result, they charge full price to the Underwriter for the repairs, so no, it’s not as if they get paid less so they would not not to repair.

So incompetence is most likely.

So which Dealer is so incompetent?

Quote:
I tried to read more on what's covered, but from the BMW site you just get a list of things that are not covered. Similar to the above. I'd think the failure of two gaskets significantly leaking oil would be considered a defect in the material? The CPO label seems to be a false sense of security. Looks like we as consumers would be better off catching a car off lease and putting the additional $2.5-4k premium for the CPO designation aside in a contingency fund. I'll keep the thread updated with what I hear from my SA. Thanks everyone
Actually, exclusionary EW are better than EW with what is included listed.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 07:13 PM   #12
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
Sure, its not the same exact warranty as the original but that's also why it's not a new MSRP or similar retail priced car. It does, however, cover a lot more than a non-CPO car would w/o any warranty. So, it's splitting hairs IMHO.
I'm glad that you're this wide-eyed and optimistic about the CPO warranty. Just don't be too surprise when the warranty company backing the coverage (not BMW) tells you that they are not covering your broken transmission because of your OEM "performance rotors" or M Performance spoiler indicates that vehicle was driven hard. #TrueStory

The company backing the CPO warranty doesn't care if you buy another BMW, so they have no vested interest if you're satisfied with the repair.

Not trying to be a buzzkill just keeping it real. Google the subject if you're skeptical of my claim.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #13
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i Turbo

Quote:
Quote:
Sure, its not the same exact warranty as the original but that's also why it's not a new MSRP or similar retail priced car. It does, however, cover a lot more than a non-CPO car would w/o any warranty. So, it's splitting hairs IMHO.
I'm glad that you're this wide-eyed and optimistic about the CPO warranty. Just don't be too surprise when the warranty company backing the coverage (not BMW) tells you that they are not covering your broken transmission because of your OEM "performance rotors" or M Performance spoiler indicates that vehicle was driven hard. #TrueStory

The company backing the CPO warranty doesn't care if you buy another BMW, so they have no vested interest if you're satisfied with the repair.

Not trying to be a buzzkill just keeping it real. Google the subject if you're skeptical of my claim.
this will be the 4th CPO BMW in our family and never, ever had that issue. probably related to your specific dealer also.
1987 325e
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 07:27 PM   #14
BMR_CK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

The CPO (CP No) would not cover my sunroof or suspension parts. Luckily I had the new car warranty in effect which also allowed me to file a lemon law claim. Frankly, when they make you sign the CPO warranty coverage disclaimer it’s a reminder BMW doesn’t want the issues of a used car either.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 07:45 PM   #15
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

this will be the 4th CPO BMW in our family and never, ever had that issue. probably related to your specific dealer also.
The same CPO warranty replaced my CD player (refurbish unit BTW) and the wiper arm motor - minor stuff really without any issue. Felt good for a little that my vehicle was supposedly covered!

However, when my transmission went out a year later, the warranty company sent someone to find reasons to deny any major claims. The adjuster was so full of shit based on nonsense he was blaming for the cause, that I flat out told him that and he didn't even deny it or get offended.

I even explained to him that the rotors that he was blaming was made and approved by the vehicle manufacture. He stayed silent for a second then replied "Well, I'm still not going to cover it." It was like compromising with a stubborn 4 year old.

I have no doubt they'll cover minor stuff but the minute anything substantial breaks, be prepared to change your outlook on CPO coverage.

The dealer doesn't care either way, it's just another method for them to get paid. But it's in the hands of the warranty company to approve the claim, the dealer just submit the facts.

After my experience, I did some research and confirmed this is the norm with CPO coverage, all fluff, no substance.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 08:38 PM   #16
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

CPO= We certify that this car is pre-owned.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 08:56 PM   #17
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Uhh, if I could, a lot of info stated on here is specific to personal experience.

First, the CPO Warrenty does not Cover:
https://cpo.bmwusa.com/Content/docs/...NotCovered.pdf

Looking through, it doesn't cover...normal wear and tear. If your engine goes, you'll be fine.

Now, that being said, I can say that it really depends on where you buy the car. I've gone to dealers to see cars that were CPO that were a mess. I can honestly tell you my 328 with 120K was in better shape than a 335 I was in with 12K on it. Paint chipped and sprayed over, leather ripped, and an obviously rough engine. Only the best of the best should make it into the program, or have these issues fixed, but that often isn't the case.

I've bought 2 CPO cars, a 335 and 528, that were pristine and ran excellent, from BMW of Ramsey. Upon purchasing the 335, they replaced all the brakes without hassle.

My advice to anyone looking at a used BMW is this: do your research, and look at multiple cars at multiple dealers. Understand the real value of the car you're buying. And if the dealer gives you a hard time about repairs, bring it to another, or call NA. the concept that BMW does not care because it's a 4 year old car doesn't resonate with me. At the end of the day, if you're not happy, they want to try and fix it.
markeys26.00
N26Ghost496.50
      01-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #18
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
Uhh, if I could, a lot of info stated on here is specific to personal experience.

Looking through, it doesn't cover...normal wear and tear. If your engine goes, you'll be fine.

Now, that being said, I can say that it really depends on where you buy the car. I've gone to dealers to see cars that were CPO that were a mess. I can honestly tell you my 328 with 120K was in better shape than a 335 I was in with 12K on it. Paint chipped and sprayed over, leather ripped, and an obviously rough engine. Only the best of the best should make it into the program, or have these issues fixed, but that often isn't the case.

I've bought 2 CPO cars, a 335 and 528, that were pristine and ran excellent, from BMW of Ramsey. Upon purchasing the 335, they replaced all the brakes without hassle.

My advice to anyone looking at a used BMW is this: do your research, and look at multiple cars at multiple dealers. Understand the real value of the car you're buying. And if the dealer gives you a hard time about repairs, bring it to another, or call NA. the concept that BMW does not care because it's a 4 year old car doesn't resonate with me. At the end of the day, if you're not happy, they want to try and fix it.
You had me right up to the last paragraph when you started saying BMWNA cares about covering repairs on your 4+ year old car.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #19
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

You had me right up to the last paragraph when you started saying BMWNA cares about covering repairs on your 4+ year old car.
To be honest, I've contacted them about my 9 year old M3 and they've responded well. But that's personal experience. Everyone will be different.
N26Ghost496.50
      01-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #20
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

To be honest, I've contacted them about my 9 year old M3 and they've responded well. But that's personal experience. Everyone will be different.
Did they pay for the repair of your 9 year old M3?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #21
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

My thermostat started acting goofy with the computer at 76k miles. Not covered by the 7/70 extension from bmw. But covered by my cpo warranty. Phew. It was 2 years additional back then, now with 1 year only I would not opt to buy cpo from dealer. But yes, to everyone’s point. It’s just a third party extended warranty marketed by bmw to sell more used cars. Caveat emptor.
Appreciate 1
N26Ghost496.50
      01-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #22
hhzh15
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Gran Coupe

I had fairly good experience with 2 CPO cars I purchased, but they were about 10 years ago. The recent change of 1 year/unlimited CPO made it less desirable for me, which means it won't justify price difference more than $1K comparing to a similar non-CPO car.

You really have to analyze your own expected usage of the car until the CPO expiration date to decide whether you can get the most benefit out of the program. If you drives lot and project the mileage of the car to be close to or pass 100K miles in the last year of CPO coverage, it may be worth of the peaceful mind since more problems will likely to come out at higher mileage. But if you are looking at a mid-30K mile, 3 year old car (typical for a CPO with 3 year lease return), and you only drives 15K or less miles a year, your factory warranty will expire at 50K mile in a year, and the CPO only covers your car to 65K mile, I would not pay a premium on it.

My recent purchase of a 2016 F36 was from a Toyota dealer. Even though it was not a CPO, the dealer performed thorough inspections, put 4 new tires on it, fixed all the wheels, paint chips and even repaint the front bumper. Brakes are at 8 and 9 mm. So that car is pretty much up to CPO spec, just without the extended 1 year warranty. And similar CPO cars are all asking 5-6K more, which is totally not worth of it.
Appreciate 1
CalCarNut1060.50