E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > E90 LCI uninstall coding required?

12-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
Xzibit96
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 Jerez

E90 LCI uninstall coding required?

Hey guys,

Sorry is this is a poor question, but I am thinking about removing the LCI trunk and tails (that were retrofitted to 2008 E90) and going back to standard. Will the new tails require coding again, since they were coded for LED?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #2
aholst048
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 328i xDrive

The coding will be need to be redone (follow the coding guide, but backwards). Curious as to why you want to swap back?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
Xzibit96
Enlisted Member
Rep

I did the swap three years ago, but the paint does not quite match. It did not bother me initially, but is gnawing at me now. Trying to figure out whether less expensive to swap back than respray trunk lid; and due to $$ constraints at the moment, am in decision hell. Thanks for the reply, now I can figure out my numbers.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Thinking about this I can't see why you'd need to decode the car.

The chances are that whoever did the coding just disable the hot and cold bulb checks... this won't effect going back to a prelci trunk at all.

Depending on FRM they may have coded an LED retrofit code into the VO. In which it's probably a good idea to remove it then code the FRM back to default.

My money would be on the bulbs checks though
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #5
Xzibit96
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post

The chances are that whoever did the coding just disable the hot and cold bulb checks... this won't effect going back to a prelci trunk at all.

Depending on FRM they may have coded an LED retrofit code into the VO. In which it's probably a good idea to remove it then code the FRM back to default.

This is all way above my head
Could you dumb it down a bit for me. I guess at the end of the day going back to Pre-LCI is taking the car back to stock so not all bad...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzibit96 View Post
Quote:

This is all way above my head
Could you dumb it down a bit for me. I guess at the end of the day going back to Pre-LCI is taking the car back to stock so not all bad...
When the trunk was retrofitted the module in charge of lighting (FRM) wouldn't have liked the LED lighting in the LCI tails. There would be dash warning lights and or flickering.

To get around this you can code the module to stop the FRM checking the bulbs.

So if you put your old trunk and lights in then you shouldn't get any faults. The only downside would be that you wouldn't get a dash warning light if one of your bulbs go out.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
Xzibit96
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
When the trunk was retrofitted the module in charge of lighting (FRM) wouldn't have liked the LED lighting in the LCI tails. There would be dash warning lights and or flickering.

To get around this you can code the module to stop the FRM checking the bulbs.

So if you put your old trunk and lights in then you shouldn't get any faults. The only downside would be that you wouldn't get a dash warning light if one of your bulbs go out.
Ahhh, PERFECT! Thank you!! As you likely have deduced, I am not technologically inclined. In any case, Happy New Year and thanks a bunch, really makes my decision points clearer.
Appreciate 0