F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Key Fob Battery ..
proTUNING Freaks

12-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
Lee420d
Rep
Drives: Gran Coupe 420d

Key Fob Battery ..

Hi,

can anyone shed some Light on Why , my 4 Series F36 Key Fob after changing the battery inside , its still showing up on dash , Replace Battery..

Do i need to Sync or something ?

Regards
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

mine automatically went away (I think after I turned on the car) . do you have a multimeter to test the battery? maybe it was just a bad battery you had for replacement

2019 440i xDrive | Muffler Delete |
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Mine recognised the new battery straight away.
There is a key logo on the steering column. Does it do anything if you touch it against that?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
Lee420d
Rep
Drives: Gran Coupe 420d

Thanks For Replies ...

Battery put in was a New 1 ...
and when symbol is on, i do put the fob to steering wheel and it does disappear but when unlock car again, its back ....
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Can you unlock the car remotely? You may have to do the learn procedure again. Maybe delete and re add it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Mine did that until I replaced batteries in both remotes.
      12-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Yeah - be sure you change both remotes. And ensure the battery is good.

Mine went out when I was out of town. Stopped by a BMW dealer in Charlottesville, VA, and they changed the batteries for me - cost about $30.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
mfstrby
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

Mine went out when I was out of town. Stopped by a BMW dealer in Charlottesville, VA, and they changed the batteries for me - cost about $30.
Did both fobs have empty batteries? In my case, only one of them had and replacing it solved the problem. I didn't do anything extra, the car recognized the fob and the warning went away.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep

I'm guessing that if both remotes are in the car, and one is weak, that you could get the warning.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 01:58 AM   #10
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Had the same thing happen just before Christmas. Changed battery in offending fob, then held it up to the spot on the column and pressed the start button WITHOUT my foot on the brake so the car did not start. This seems to clear the alert. I made sure that the other remote was well clear during this procedure.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 03:52 AM   #11
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Not sure if free maintenance (old or new) includes key fob battery replacement? So far haven't had to replace mine though I know these newer comfort access/start button key fob batteries drain faster than the old non bi directional communication key fobs do.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #12
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:

The batteries don't cost more than a few dollars and are very easy to change.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #13
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Not sure if free maintenance (old or new) includes key fob battery replacement? So far haven't had to replace mine though I know these newer comfort access/start button key fob batteries drain faster than the old non bi directional communication key fobs do.
Yes it does. I took my 2017 440i convertible in for scheduled maintenance (2nd one) and one of the things performed was a replacement of the battery in the key fob. Wish I was smart enough to remember to bring the second key fob with me and have its battery replaced, but I'm not that smart. Next time I bring car in I will take second key fob with me and have them change that one also.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562962.50
      12-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #14
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
Quote:
Yes it does. I took my 2017 440i convertible in for scheduled maintenance (2nd one) and one of the things performed was a replacement of the battery in the key fob. Wish I was smart enough to remember to bring the second key fob with me and have its battery replaced, but I'm not that smart. Next time I bring car in I will take second key fob with me and have them change that one also.
Good point I'll need to bring my 2nd fob in as well. Didn't think of that. Thanks for the tip! I may just bring it in with the other key fob for my next service, though, as I don't want them to get confused with 2 key fobs and end up losing one of them.

Last edited by bimmer456; 12-29-2018 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #15
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep

Yeah - they're very easy to change. But when you're out of town, a BMW dealer is 2 miles away, and they'll do it for you start-to-finish in under 5 minutes, I went that route.

Trust me, I'm frugal, but there are some times that call for spending on convenience.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #16
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good point I'll need to bring my 2nd fob in as well. Didn't think of that. Thanks for the tip! I may just bring it in with the other key fob for my next service, though, as I don't want them to get confused with 2 key fobs and end up losing one of them.
You are welcome. I don't quite understand why the BMW folks think it was necessary to include a key fob battery replacement in the 2nd scheduled maintenance, seems kind of early in the life cycle to replace this, but then again what do I know? I was actually surprised when I saw that they did do this, didn't know it was included along with oil change/filter change, etc. Not complaining, just surprised. Have a happy new year.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #17
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah - they're very easy to change. But when you're out of town, a BMW dealer is 2 miles away, and they'll do it for you start-to-finish in under 5 minutes, I went that route.

Trust me, I'm frugal, but there are some times that call for spending on convenience.
I should try and bring in my keyfob then like tomorrow and see if they can do it for me for free as they did for my primary fob though I've already brought the car in for service last week.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #18
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I should try and bring in my keyfob then like tomorrow and see if they can do it for me for free as they did for my primary fob though I've already brought the car in for service last week.
I would hope they will. For the price we paid for these cars I would hope BMW is very customer orientated, and the scheduled maintenance does not limit this to just one fob.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #19
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are welcome. I don't quite understand why the BMW folks think it was necessary to include a key fob battery replacement in the 2nd scheduled maintenance, seems kind of early in the life cycle to replace this, but then again what do I know? I was actually surprised when I saw that they did do this, didn't know it was included along with oil change/filter change, etc. Not complaining, just surprised. Have a happy new year.
I like having them replace it sooner so I don't have to deal with diminishing range or low key fob error messages and having to hold the key to the steering column. They also replace wiper blades every year though they are still good at that point. Better than having to put up with streaking wipers. The new maintenance plan doesn't include some of the items of the old one so not sure if key fob batteries are covered under that one, however. Happy New Year!
Appreciate 0