F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Steering rack replacement issues on tuned car?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
Tonyt915
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' 328D M-Sport

Steering rack replacement issues on tuned car?

I have a 2014 328D with a Mission Performance Stage 2 tune. Got into an accident last month that messed up the suspension."Bent the front and rear rim on the driver side, bent the front strut, front wheel bearing and hub replaced" The collision center is owned by the BMW dealership, and they fixed the the damage but the steering rack started giving me issues after I picked it up so I scheduled to bring it back so they could replace the rack. Well in-between picking it up and bringing it back to them I had it tuned and removed all the modules for the diesel emissions."DEF tank, NOX modules, SCR, DPF, and EGR turned off" Brought it back this morning, and they swapped out the rack this morning but are having issues programming it. They said the traction control is turned off and it will not let them program the steering rack because of the program they are using talks to all the computers in the car. Talked to Alex at MP and he said the tune has nothing to do with the computer for the steering rack, that it's something they are doing wrong. Also checked with a local indy shop and explained the situation. They weren't 100% but seemed to side with MP about the tune not affecting the steering rack. Was curious if anyone else on here has a tune and had issues with BMW being able to code new parts? Seems like the techs are using the tune as an excuse for not being able to code the car according to MP. Update collision center is using ISTA so not their fault, the tune is causing the problem.

Last edited by Tonyt915; 12-26-2018 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

somewhat related (?),read here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1566880
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyt915 View Post
I have a 2014 328D with a Mission Performance Stage 2 tune. Got into an accident last month that messed up the suspension. The collision center is owned by the BMW dealership, and they fixed the the damage but the steering rack started giving me issues after I picked it up so I scheduled to bring it back. Well in-between picking it up and bringing it back to them I had it tuned and removed all the modules for the diesel emissions. Brought it back this morning, and they swapped out the rack this morning but are having issues programming it. They said the traction control is turned off and it will not let them program the steering rack. Talked to MP and Alex said the tune has nothing to do with the computer for the steering rack. Also checked with a local indy shop and explained the situation. They weren't 100% but seemed to side with MP about the tune not affecting the steering rack. Was curious if anyone else on here has a tune and had issues with BMW being able to code new parts? Seems like the techs are using the tune as an excuse for incompetence but I could be wrong.

A lot of words in that post but not a lot of specific details.

This I know is fact.

BMW Dealers connect cars to ISTA. It then looks at what’s suppose to be be on the vehicle from the BMW Database. If any of those ECUs etc do not match up or report being in a state that isn’t normal, it throws an error and stops the process.

For example, you can put a F80 shifter in a F30 and it will function. You can also put a normal 5 series shifter in a F30 (won’t physically fit but it will function). However, once ISTA polls those ECUs and realizes they are not the right ones, it will terminate the procedure with an error report.

Clearly, something MP did (or you pulling off parts) is throwing errors in ISTA and is not letting the car be programmed by ISTA. The ECUs can usually be programmed individually with esys, but Dealers do not use that. ISTA takes all the steps and does it automatically.

This is a known issue when you start modifying a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Totally different.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 12-26-2018 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
jmg18705.00
      12-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If the tune has coded extra stuff that isn’t part of your vin then that might explain why they are having difficulties. When I had my steering rack replaced the dealer rang me to say they’d need to keep the car for an extra day as they needed to update the car in order to get the new rack working. If the bmw update process uses the vin then maybe anything unexpected causes an issue?

The above are just just my thoughts and not fact by the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Well in-between picking it up and bringing it back to them I had it tuned and removed all the modules for the diesel emissions.

Quote:
Talked to MP and Alex said the tune has nothing to do with the computer for the steering rack.
The tune is not OEM so it will be flagged and the dealer will not be able to reprogram the steering rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

BMW Dealers connect cars to ISTA. It then looks at what’s suppose to be be on the vehicle from the BMW Database. If any of those ECUs etc do not match up, it throws and error and stops the process.
100% correct. I would reflash to stock and see if the dealer can re-program.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
Tonyt915
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
A lot of words in that post but not a lot of specific details.

This I know is fact.

BMW Dealers connect cars to ISTA. It then looks at what’s suppose to be be on the vehicle from the BMW Database. If any of those ECUs etc do not match up or report being in a state that isn’t normal, it throws an error and stops the process.

For example, you can put a F80 shifter in a F30 and it will function. You can also put a normal 5 series shifter in a F30 (won’t physically fit but it will function). However, once ISTA polls those ECUs and realizes they are not the right ones, it will terminate the procedure with an error report.

Clearly, something MP did (or you pulling off parts) is throwing errors in ISTA and is not letting the car be programmed by ISTA. The ECUs can usually be programmed individually with esys, but Dealers do not use that. ISTA takes all the steps and does it automatically.

This is a known issue when you start modifying a car.

Totally different.
Thanks for the information. Talked to the dealer and they are using ISTA, called independent shop that uses MP as their tuning company and was told they are also partners with the dealership so the car is being transferred to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #7
Tonyt915
Private
United_States
Rep

Forgot to follow up, the collision center brought the car to the BMW dealer next door and they got the steering rack programmed. The chassis stabilization warning hasn't come on since
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      01-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Forgot to follow up, the collision center brought the car to the BMW dealer next door and they got the steering rack programmed. The chassis stabilization warning hasn't come on since
Great to hear-👍
Appreciate 0