F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Insurance & BMW Used Parts
ARMA SPEED

12-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Insurance & BMW Used Parts

Not sure where to put this post, it is kind of long story and I would like to share my experience and find out if we have more people going through similar experience.
About 1 1/2 year ago, my car was still under warranty, crashed in the parking lot of shopping mall. It was fixed in the same place where I bought, a local BMW dealer, insurance cover all the expenses.
Most of replaced components were all new BMW OEM, however I did not notice the steering rack was (RCY) as described in the paper work and just now I realize it means recycled or used part.
I only found that because I took the car to an independent mechanic to replace brake pads, he ran the scanner and found almost 4 pages of errors. He tried to clear some of them, but the steering is always "wrong".
While I don't have any problem with my car I ended up taking to same BMW dealer that worked on that after the crash, and ask them what was going on?
This time my car was with them for 2 days, and the error code could not be removed because it was using a salvaged BMW part. They asked for help from BMW USA, but they rejected to clean the error...
So... I'm pissed:
-BMW dealer doing body shop service did not told me that time a used part would be used and it would show errors when scanned in the future, therefore I did not have chance to dispute with my Insurance in the best opportunity.
-Insurances push questionable parts during these occasions.
-My BMW dealer never told me result of the scan on my service visits during this window of time (hide the issue).
-After some investigation I understand insurance companies are authorized by law to do that, otherwise insurance costs would be too high.
-Just think what a crappy law to allow this, since steering rack is a safety item.
-Although I have a car that works well, no steering issues, everytime it is scanned will show errors and bring questions and concerns, eventually from a potential buyer one day.
-Do you know any method beyond going to BMW dealer and buying a new steering rack to clear this error code?
-I'm planning to discuss this with my insurance agent that sold me the insurance, and dispute this problem... but hardly believe I'll get anything.

Well, I think some of you were never involved with insurance and damage on your car, therefore may not know that, so this is also a heads up.
Thanks for any comment.

Last edited by Pauloxxi; 12-22-2018 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

-After some investigation I understand insurance companies are authorized by law to do that, otherwise insurance would too high price.

Interesting situation, I was not aware of 'used' or 'remanufactured', aftermarket etc. parts being used on insurance related repairs - I guess it's been so long since I've had a claim that I've forgotten(!)

It sounds like you've already answered your own question about how the steering component was installed in your car.

From a practical standpoint at this point in time perhaps the best you can hope for is to get a written statement from the BMW repair facility stating that the (steering related?) fault code(s) cannot be reset as the car was fitted with a 'salvage' or 'remanufactured' or 'used' part. With that, at least you'd have a valid explanation for a future buyer should the question arise out of a pre-purchase inspection, etc.

Do you recall during the insurance claim whether the insurance company and/or the BMW repair facility ever discussed with you any 'options' regarding using all new OEM parts, used parts, etc. ?

That might be an interesting question to pose to your insurance company- particularly in the event that there was no offer/discussion about this at the time claim was being processed.

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 10:51 PM   #3
SunzOut
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i and '00 M Coupe

Having had very recent experience with this. Yes the Insurance company will use the cheapest available part. That can mean Used or aftermarket. It will be stated in the repair estimate.

Not sure what you can do a this point, so far down the road. You may have to eat the cost of a new OEM replacement part, unless you can persuade the dealer or Insurance to replace it, but that will not be an easy task.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      12-22-2018, 11:48 PM   #4
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunzOut View Post
Having had very recent experience with this. Yes the Insurance company will use the cheapest available part. That can mean Used or aftermarket. It will be stated in the repair estimate.

Not sure what you can do a this point, so far down the road. You may have to eat the cost of a new OEM replacement part, unless you can persuade the dealer or Insurance to replace it, but that will not be an easy task.
I wonder how this would be approached for a lease car? Would the fact that the part is a "recycled" part cause problems at lease turn-in??
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      12-23-2018, 04:33 AM   #5
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Doesn’t it just need the software updating? I know when I had the steering rack replaced in my car the dealer fitted a newer part than it had and therefore had to completely update the car in order for the cars electronics to accept the rack.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      12-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for your interesting comments. I believe in the recent past this would not be noticeable. I guess an E90 for example doesn't have so much electronics and this particular issue would not be "scaneable" (I'm not sure). However we now drive computers with and engine and 4 weels... So everything is connected and these situations are now turning more perceptible to end user.
Someone mentioned about leasing vehicle, well I bet the BMW certification process for a CPO will clean that, and they may say the vehicle was "recertified", and the error code will be cleared for the CPO buyer. I'm sure BMW USA will authorize to hide the issue then. My dealer at least told this time they consulted BMW USA, who did not agree to clean the code, I'm not sure if they updated the software, or what they really did, but the car was there for 2 days.
I go three fronts now... I'll send e-mails and contact BMWUSA, and I'll talk to my insurance agent, and I'll inform my dealer this will impact my decision on my next car... The enviroment has changed, this approach and method to fix the cars will become noticeable with our computers with 4 weels. This is my 3rd BMW, I'm planning to replace my 2009 next year, but depending on BMW USA support I'll change to a different brand, they will know that and my dealer will know as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Doesn’t it just need the software updating? I know when I had the steering rack replaced in my car the dealer fitted a newer part than it had and therefore had to completely update the car in order for the cars electronics to accept the rack.
I agree. It would seem the steering related fault code should be able to be cleared. Heck, if for example an instrument cluster fails and is replaced the new unit can obviously be 'coded' to function in the car and not register a fault code.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

1) Which Insurance Company?

2) What exact code(s) cannot be cleared?

Insurance Companies have always been able to replace your used part with another used parts, just as they will not buy you a 2019 vehicle if your 2013 is totalled.

Worse yet, they can use non-OEM parts.

Some allow you to pay extra premiums in your policy for OEM/New Parts. Of course, most Shop for lowest premium and do not go this route.

You can always pay the difference yourself between used and new parts to the shop doing the repairs.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #9
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

Insurance Companies have always been able to replace your used part with another used parts, just as they will not buy you a 2019 vehicle if your 2013 is totalled.

Some allow you to pay extra premiums in your policy for OEM/New Parts. Of course, most Shop for lowest premium and do not go this route.

You can always pay the difference yourself between used and new parts to the shop doing the repairs.

IK6SPEED, my problem is the option was never offered to me. I only realized what they did 1.5 years after the service. I'm disappointed because doing the repair at the same place as the BMW dealer, I would expect to be advised in time to discuss these details. Maybe I would have paid extra to put this component as a new OEM. My issue is finding this now and having the feeling the BMW dealer kept that hidden.
I ratter not tell the insurance name before I talk to them. However apparently this is a common practice for most of them.
Code Errors are: 4823CB, 4823CC 4823FD, D514F8, D514FC (Power Steering)
480121, D01B2A, D014F8, D014FA ((Chassis management)

Last edited by Pauloxxi; 12-23-2018 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauloxxi View Post
IK6SPEED, Well my problem is the option was never offered to me. I only realized what they did 1.5 years after the service. I'm desapointed because doing the repair at the same place as the BMW dealer, I would expect to be advised in time to discuss these details. Maybe I would have paid extra to put this component as a brand new OEM. My issue is finding this now and having the feeling the BMW dealer kept that hiden.
I ratter not tell the insurance name before I talk to them. However apparently this is a common practice for most of them.
Code Errors are: 4823CB, 4823CC 4823FD, D514F8, D514FC (Power Steering)
480121, D01B2A, D014F8, D014FA ((Chassis management)
I had a long response for you and just deleted it.

I am tired of people posting and holding back naming the offender even though most all Insurance Companies do this.

Anyway, that’s my new stance on these posts.

Good luck with your issues.

And BTW, Ohio law REQUIRES you to receive an estimate before repair if the repair is over $50. You signed off on the estimates to have the work done. Nothing was done behind your back. If you decided to not examine the estimate or did not understand it, that’s on you.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/109:4-3-13

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 12-23-2018 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #11
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Quote:

...Some allow you to pay extra premiums in your policy for OEM/New Parts.

Very true! I'm an agent myself who works with a company which will allow you to add on the endorsement for an extra charge. It guarantees up to 7 years from when the car was originally manufactured OEM parts. After that the endorsement drops off and no guarantee. Most people don't do it because it simply has to do with people having to pay "extra". Ideally, it makes complete sense.

Lease a car, wreck it , turn it and they gotcha if you don't replace with OE parts. Besides the obvious why wouldn't anyone NOT want OE parts? In the long run a potential used part or aftermarket parts will fail quicker and/or not work sufficiently. Put your wife behind the wheel and allow her to drive knowing an inferior part could fail. Mechanics have grilled me on this as I work with body shop managers constantly and they push OE as gospel. Just plain common sense.
Appreciate 4
IK6SPEED4488.00
Wgosma806.00
1QuikWS61621.50
Pauloxxi339.00
      12-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #12
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I always add the 'Replace with only OEM parts' rider to all my Nationwide auto policies.

Very small increase of $7 per 6 months to policy cost of my insurance coverage and well worth it

This rider lasts as long as it is active and as long as I own the car, not only 7 yrs as someone else previously mentioned - but that may be specific to Nationwide

As stated, without this extra, insurance companies WILL replace with aftermarket parts by accredited mfg.

Trying to save a little now usually comes back to kick you in the ass later...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 3
IK6SPEED4488.00
RMNB365.00
Pauloxxi339.00
      12-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #13
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That's very modest additional cost - are parts also new, or could they be used, re-manufactured, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #14
Brett530
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I always add the 'Replace with only OEM parts' rider to all my Nationwide auto policies.

Very small increase of $7 per 6 months to policy cost of my insurance coverage and well worth it

This rider lasts as long as it is active and as long as I own the car, not only 7 yrs as someone else previously mentioned - but that may be specific to Nationwide

As stated, without this extra, insurance companies WILL replace with aftermarket parts by accredited mfg.

Trying to save a little now usually comes back to kick you in the ass later...
Interesting. I was not aware of that option. Having had my last F30 totaled with very moderate damage, I'm wondering if the need to use OEM parts for repair would increase the chance that the insurance company would total the car since the repair costs will be higher compared to the market value of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #15
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
That's very modest additional cost - are parts also new, or could they be used, re-manufactured, etc.?
Only new OEM parts from BMW
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 07:11 PM   #16
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett530 View Post
Interesting. I was not aware of that option. Having had my last F30 totaled with very moderate damage, I'm wondering if the need to use OEM parts for repair would increase the chance that the insurance company would total the car since the repair costs will be higher compared to the market value of the car.
Never thought of that, I guess it could happen that way

Pretty sure I could choose to use cheaper aftermarket parts if I wanted

Lucky enough that only repair on a BMW so far was minor deer hit when I had my E92
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #17
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Quote:
Only new OEM parts from BMW
👍
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 07:51 PM   #18
mclark2112
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Having gone through this, the parts put into your car (even used) should have a warranty on them, from the insurance carrier I believe. Can't remember how long the warranty is though, probably in your policy. But throwing codes that can't be fixed could warrant replacement.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      12-25-2018, 03:44 AM   #19
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Isn’t the problem here the amount of time that has passed? Everybody might argue that the codes you have weren’t there when the car was originally fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #20
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Isn't the problem here the amount of time that has passed? Everybody might argue that the codes you have weren't there when the car was originally fixed.
That seems a valid point-but: in reading OP's initial posting it seems both the independent shop and BMW acknowledged the fault code is present because the component is not OEM BMW.
If that is the case, then fair to conclude the fault code has been present since time of repair.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      12-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #21
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
Having gone through this, the parts put into your car (even used) should have a warranty on them, from the insurance carrier I believe. Can't remember how long the warranty is though, probably in your policy. But throwing codes that can't be fixed could warrant replacement.
Quote:
That seems a valid point-but: in reading OP's initial posting it seems both the independent shop and BMW acknowledged the fault code is present because the component is not OEM BMW.
If that is the case, then fair to conclude the fault code has been present since time of repair.
There are often fault codes that do not throw a CEL.

You might have case if it was throwing a CEL.

OP admitted no issues except the fault code. It’s not causing any issue except throwing a code if one has an ODB Code Reader.

Therefore, I understand that they will probably not do anything about it.

I wouldn’t like it personally (and would have checked immediately upon repair).

Also, no one knows if the codes were present previously (though they most likely were not).

Another reason to be very careful on who you let repair your car. And to read and understand what you sign as the OP did NOT. No one to blame but himself.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 12-26-2018 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 08:54 PM   #22
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had a long response for you and just deleted it.

I am tired of people posting and holding back naming the offender even though most all Insurance Companies do this.

Anyway, that’s my new stance on these posts.

Good luck with your issues.

And BTW, Ohio law REQUIRES you to receive an estimate before repair if the repair is over $50. You signed off on the estimates to have the work done. Nothing was done behind your back. If you decided to not examine the estimate or did not understand it, that’s on you.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/109:4-3-13
Thanks for your note.
Sorry if you are tired of people holding back the name of the insurance company, but if that makes lot of difference for you the name is State Farm.
I received initial estimate, and approved them to do the work. But body shop is like an onion... As they peel the layers they found additional items to fix, so it was successive ressubmissions of estimates, which were in fact submitted to State Farm for approval and copied to me. Yes I agree I probbly should pay more attention to every single item and request new parts, although as you mentioned I'm not sure if I would be successful since you mentioned if a 2014 model is totaled I'll not be reinbursed a new one.
I think in the end the local BMW dealer was not commited, they should take the car after fixing and properly clean the errors, but they did not look that. It was like fixing the car in corner body shop... Now, the only error is the steering rack, however it was 4 pages related.
As you posted, the insurance company can do this practice, so why BMW doesn't honor and clean the steering rack error? I bet if it was a car under leasing they would cleanup all to sell as CPO, but since this car is not in this situation they will leave this spot in the scan report... I don't think it is correct, because in the end it is a BMW part being used, a recycled one, but a legitimate BMW part, and Insurance Companies are authorized to do that by law.
I don't think I'll get any replacement part, but I would like to see BMW authorizing my dealer to update and clean the last steering rack code error.
Anyway... it is a lesson learned for me, and probably for lot of people.
Thanks

Last edited by Pauloxxi; 01-02-2019 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0