F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Car jerking after sitting for a while (6MT)
proTUNING Freaks

12-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Car jerking after sitting for a while (6MT)

Whenever I let my car sit for a couple weeks, it jerks/bucks in 1st and 2nd gear when I first start it up. After driving a short distance it goes back to normal and I can shift smoothly.

It never stalls out or anything, it just shakes around a lot and makes it look like I'm driving stick for the first time, no matter how slowly I let off the clutch. The jerking happens once I've let off the clutch completely and start accelerating.

Today it was much worse than normal. Very rainy/wet outside not sure if it might have something to do with the moisture.

Any ideas on what I should check? Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
Bmwman325
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 MG CR 335 XI 6SP

Where do you live? I sometimes get this when the temperatures drop significantly. It goes away for me when car warms up after a few mins.
      12-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
How many miles do you have on the car? Maybe changing the transmission oil could be beneficial. Pretty cheap at an Indy, under $200. You could also do it yourself, not nearly as involved as for an automatic. You could also have Blackstone do an oil analysis on the old transmission oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
vtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Sounds like I have the same issue. the clutch chatters a bit at the end of engagement. But mine seems more persistent than yours. It’s like half the time.
There’s several possible causes and none of them are easy to diagnose or repair.https://www.clutchdoctor.com/causes-...clutch-chatter

I don’t see how the tranny oil could have any effect on this.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwman325 View Post
Where do you live? I sometimes get this when the temperatures drop significantly. It goes away for me when car warms up after a few mins.
PA, so we do get temp drops. I can't remember if it only happens during cold temps or if it happens in warm weather also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinAZ View Post
How many miles do you have on the car? Maybe changing the transmission oil could be beneficial. Pretty cheap at an Indy, under $200. You could also do it yourself, not nearly as involved as for an automatic. You could also have Blackstone do an oil analysis on the old transmission oil.
Only about 6,000 miles on it, so I don't think it's necessary at this point barring some other underlying issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown View Post
Sounds like I have the same issue. the clutch chatters a bit at the end of engagement. But mine seems more persistent than yours. It’s like half the time.
There’s several possible causes and none of them are easy to diagnose or repair.https://www.clutchdoctor.com/causes-...clutch-chatter

I don’t see how the tranny oil could have any effect on this.
For you, is it just a slight clutch chatter, or is the whole car shaking up and down after releasing the clutch? For me, it's the same thing that would happen if you dropped the clutch too soon at low speed/rpm, minus the stalling.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Humidity, cold friction clutch material, and the friction material grabbing on material embedded on the flywheel can result in this behavior. There's not much you can do about it until the clutch material warms a bit. My M235 will do it occasionally too and it's definitely more prevalent when it's humid out.

Sometimes I'll intentionally slip the clutch a lot in 1st and it will improve and smoothen clutch engagement.
      12-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
vtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey View Post
PA, so we do get temp drops. I can't remember if it only happens during cold temps or if it happens in warm weather also.

Only about 6,000 miles on it, so I don't think it's necessary at this point barring some other underlying issue.

For you, is it just a slight clutch chatter, or is the whole car shaking up and down after releasing the clutch? For me, it's the same thing that would happen if you dropped the clutch too soon at low speed/rpm, minus the stalling.
The car gives a bit of judder or shake for sure, it’s annoying it not severe. I too try to slip it just a bit extra occasionally to warm it up/ smooth it out. But obviously not enough to excessively wear it.
Appreciate 1
donkey464.00
      12-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Happens to me too but only in first gear. It helps to warm the car up for about a minute before driving off. Mine only seems to do that when the engine is cold.

Do you by chance have a tune?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Happens to me too but only in first gear. It helps to warm the car up for about a minute before driving off. Mine only seems to do that when the engine is cold.

Do you by chance have a tune?
Nope not tuned (yet anyway). I guess this is just normal, made worse by the fact I don't drive my car very often. I'll try just warming the car up before I go and slip 1st a bit to see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #10
cm3_psx
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 2015 435i x-drive

I have the exact same issue...

Also, I live in MN, and its cold this time of year..
Appreciate 1
donkey464.00
      12-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #11
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Out of interest how often do you drive the car?

With older cars, this used to be a common problem with rarely driven MT's. Clutch plates are made of different stuff now, but back then it wasn't uncommon for a car not driven for several weeks to suffer clutch plate weld - caused by interaction between the materials. I'm sure even a modern car will have some reaction if left for long enough - it sounds like in your case, it's very minimal and a little clutch usage sorts it out.

If you think of it in terms of brake feel after a period unused, it makes more sense. I'm sure you also notice a little inconsistency in brake feel until they have been used a few times and warmed up.

Problem with clutches is, they're a really crude technology and haven't been able to evolve to the point they're as infallible as most of the rest of a modern car. The difference in a clutch that feels too soft or too abrupt is minute in mechanical terms, so it's not surprising that atmospheric conditions and/or a period of rest can make it feel noticeably different. Not that many years ago cars used to go through all sorts of various moods and maladies until warmed up
Appreciate 1
donkey464.00
      12-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #12
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by movietub View Post
Out of interest how often do you drive the car?

With older cars, this used to be a common problem with rarely driven MT's. Clutch plates are made of different stuff now, but back then it wasn't uncommon for a car not driven for several weeks to suffer clutch plate weld - caused by interaction between the materials. I'm sure even a modern car will have some reaction if left for long enough - it sounds like in your case, it's very minimal and a little clutch usage sorts it out.

If you think of it in terms of brake feel after a period unused, it makes more sense. I'm sure you also notice a little inconsistency in brake feel until they have been used a few times and warmed up.

Problem with clutches is, they're a really crude technology and haven't been able to evolve to the point they're as infallible as most of the rest of a modern car. The difference in a clutch that feels too soft or too abrupt is minute in mechanical terms, so it's not surprising that atmospheric conditions and/or a period of rest can make it feel noticeably different. Not that many years ago cars used to go through all sorts of various moods and maladies until warmed up
Not often to be honest. I might drive it a few times a week, or put it on the trickle charger and it could sit for a month or more.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #13
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Quote:
Not often to be honest. I might drive it a few times a week, or put it on the trickle charger and it could sit for a month or more.
I suspect you have found your answer then. Providing the clutch feels solid during use after the first few changes, I wouldn't worry at all. And when you come to sell it one day, just make sure to use it more regularly leading up to the sale.

I think all you are encountering here is one of many the many common niggles car collectors have to deal with as they can't drive them all everyday - but they kinda need regular driving to stay in top form each time you set off.

I wouldn't lose any sleep - I can say from experience that I would expect this from any car not driven frequently.
Appreciate 1
donkey464.00
      02-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #14
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Just posting this to mention that I get this a lot as well. Seems to be somewhat random but related to a few factors. Cold weather for sure, but it sometimes happens in warm weather as well. Mainly it occurs when I've been driving highway for some time and then get back into the city and every first gear launch is rough unless I slip the clutch substantially.

It's a terrible feeling because I'm sure it's not great for the car and also makes the driver feel like it's his first time driving stick... my clutch is due for a replacement so next fall I'm going to do the 335is clutch and new dual mass flywheel. Hopefully this rectifies the problem.
Appreciate 1
donkey464.00
      02-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #15
Mouse
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013F30 335i

I had this exact issue and while it sounds weird, a new battery fixed it.
      02-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #16
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Mine chatters on engagement. If you slip it longer it chatters more. Almost like a vibration. BMW will tell you it's perfectly normal and will refuse to fix it
Appreciate 2
donkey464.00
vtown99.00
      02-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #17
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I was thinking of doing that anyway... Battery is coming up on 5 years old and given that I don't drive it much it's probably not in good shape.

I'll report back here if that fixes it for me too
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #18
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Finally got around to replacing the battery... And it's fixed!!!!

I guess my battery was giving me just enough juice to get going, but not enough to do so smoothly.

Mystery solved! Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #19
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Finally got around to replacing the battery... And it's fixed!!!!

I guess my battery was giving me just enough juice to get going, but not enough to do so smoothly.

Mystery solved! Thanks for the heads up.
It's always hard to tell the cause, my last car an E92 335i manual had the exact same symptoms as you first described, and it turned out to be worn clutch disk. When I replaced the clutch, all jerking went away.
Appreciate 1
donkey464.00
      03-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #20
ig1983
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
Just posting this to mention that I get this a lot as well. Seems to be somewhat random but related to a few factors. Cold weather for sure, but it sometimes happens in warm weather as well. Mainly it occurs when I've been driving highway for some time and then get back into the city and every first gear launch is rough unless I slip the clutch substantially.

It's a terrible feeling because I'm sure it's not great for the car and also makes the driver feel like it's his first time driving stick... my clutch is due for a replacement so next fall I'm going to do the 335is clutch and new dual mass flywheel. Hopefully this rectifies the problem.
How many km/miles do you have on the car? My 335 has the same issue, and I am debating whether or not to have the clutch replaced (the dealer will let it pass under warranty, I am certain). First fear launches are always judder and car shakes after prolonged highway drive. And I only have 87,000 km...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 03:46 AM   #21
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig1983 View Post
Quote:

How many km/miles do you have on the car? My 335 has the same issue, and I am debating whether or not to have the clutch replaced (the dealer will let it pass under warranty, I am certain). First fear launches are always judder and car shakes after prolonged highway drive. And I only have 87,000 km...
I'm nearly at 100,000 km.. it doesn't happen often enough for me to worry too much about it. Mostly it's just embarrassing when there are passengers in the car.
But yea if you can get a clutch replacement under warranty that would be ideal
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #22
ig1983
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335 6MT

Quote:
I'm nearly at 100,000 km.. it doesn't happen often enough for me to worry too much about it. Mostly it's just embarrassing when there are passengers in the car.
But yea if you can get a clutch replacement under warranty that would be ideal
Sorry, I meant to say that the I am sure the dealer will NOT replace it under warranty. I spoke to them and they told me to bring it in when the jerking occurs (I will need to drive it for around 40 km before that happens). I have have a mouse-wheel sound when idling (again, only after having driven for a while), which goes away when clutch disengaged; I also hear it when driving.

But yeah, it only happens after driving longer distances, which is not too often for me. So if warranty does not cover it, I'll live with it for now. I got a quote for clutch replacement at $1,100 + tx. for labour and parts (OEM) (but no new flywheel), which seems quite reasonable.
Appreciate 0