F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > my blood is boiling
GetBMWParts

12-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
my blood is boiling

cross posted in x5 forum and since i inhabit this forum too as i have a 335d and as many of you may be facing egr issues too...

uk customer here (glasgow) apologies long post.
took my f15 warranty expired march 18 with 46k miles to dealer for egr cooler diagnosis as they called me about this on 2nd october 2018
when i picked up the car i was told it is ok but we saw some wetness outside which potentially might be a leak problem but will ask for bmw for a goodwill repair.
2 days later on 4th October get a call to say repairs approved by bmw and part on back order and i will get a call back once part in stock.
i have called them a few times since and been told that my part is in back order and they will let me know when its in stock.

so last weekend my f15 which was bought from bmw and only ever serviced there developed a drivetrain malfunction and would stall and stop after start and smell of fuel in cabin and got it towed to the aforementioned dealer on monday morning.

today evening (around 50hrs after the car reached them) get a call to say that your egr cooler is broken so is the valve and fuel is leaking externally but unfortunately as you are out if warranty you will be charged.

I point out that i was adviced of a problem in early October the part was in back order the recall etc and she says no record of this!!!! and will get back to me tommorrow!!

i call bmw customer service and they say sorry your car out of warranty so no courtesy car call emergency bmw service.

i call the emergency team who tell me they will pass me on to customer service again

what a cluster fuck.

so I am without my x5 for 3 days being told a lot of lies by the dealership and asked to pay for an item under recall though the car has a fuel leak from egr and a fire risk being passed from pillar to post from bmw uk and then being told no courtesy car.

I am utterly dumbstruck and frankly at a loss as to what to do.

Last edited by KRS_SN; 12-20-2018 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
X2 Monstah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 XDrive 28i M Sport

Sorry to hear that. I haven't had much luck with dealerships. My car goes out of warranty in 4,000 miles and I'll never go back to a dealership again.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Crooks.
      12-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Oh no, sorry to hear about this! Lesson to all of us: GET IT IN WRITING!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
cross posted in x5 forum and since i inhabit this forum too as i have a 335d and as many of you may be facing egr issues too...

uk customer here (glasgow) apologies long post.
took my f15 warranty expired march 18 with 46k miles to dealer for egr cooler diagnosis as they called me about this on 2nd october 2018
when i picked up the car i was told it is ok but we saw some wetness outside which potentially might be a leak problem but will ask for bmw for a goodwill repair.
2 days later on 4th October get a call to say repairs approved by bmw and part on back order and i will get a call back once part in stock.
i have called them a few times since and been told that my part is in back order and they will let me know when its in stock.

so last weekend my f15 which was bought from bmw and only ever serviced there developed a drivetrain malfunction and would stall and stop after start and smell of fuel in cabin and got it towed to the aforementioned dealer(Douglas park glasgow) on monday morning.

today evening (around 50hrs after the car reached them) get a call to say that your egr cooler is broken so is the valve and fuel is leaking externally but unfortunately as you are out if warranty you will be charged.

I point out that i was adviced of a problem in early October the part was in back order the recall etc and she says no record of this!!!! and will get back to me tommorrow!!

i call bmw customer service and they say sorry your car out of warranty so no courtesy car call emergency bmw service.

i call the emergency team who tell me they will pass me on to customer service again

what a cluster fuck.

so I am without my x5 for 3 days being told a lot of lies by the dealership and asked to pay for an item under recall though the car has a fuel leak from egr and a fire risk being passed from pillar to post from bmw uk and then being told no courtesy car.

I am utterly dumbstruck and frankly at a loss as to what to do.

I had a fuel pump fail outside warranty when the car had only done around 25k miles.
Had to get the car towed to the nearest dealer. Dealer was trying to pressure me into paying for the cost of a new fuel tank and labour.
Took it up with BMW customer services and argued the fact that there was a recall relating to the fuel pump done on the car and the fuel pump should last the lifetime of the car and for it to fail so early on it must be a faulty part.
I was happy just to leave the car at the dealers whilst trying to get a resolution. All the dealer wanted was to get the car moved out.
I would stand your ground and argue it is not a normal wear and tear failure. Put in a case with the Motoring Ombudsman and make them aware of the recall and highlight the fuel leak safety issue and inform BMW customer services and the dealer that you are taking further action. Tell them you are also reporting the recall failure to the DVSA.
The dealer is separate to BMW customer services. The dealer is only interested in you paying for the repair work. As your warranty has expired neither BMW or the dealer have any obligation to help you.
But you as a consumer have rights. Raise the point that your car was only ever serviced by BMW and if there was any potential issue they had fail to spot it. With it being a safety issue and could affect other cars it should be reported to the DVSA.
In the end as a good will gesture BMW waived the cost of the fuel tank but I still had to pay for the labour costs which alone amounted to nearly £600 but would have been a lot more including cost of parts.
There seems to be cars having major failures but BMW not owning up to it with the consumer having to pay out through no fault of their own. Which is not right and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

Last edited by kingmonkey8; 12-19-2018 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 09:50 PM   #6
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

Things like this make me so happy to lease and never ever worry.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 09:50 PM   #7
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Yeah I've learned myself that the best way to put it is if you're vehicle is out of warranty you're no longer a valued BMW customer at the dealership. They are crooks!

The company I work for owns a Bmw dealership in South Florida, so as a courtesy my employer will let me buy shippable Bmw parts at cost +10%, now it's not really saving as much as you think because theirs a small margin on Bmw parts but it's something yunno? The dealership here will NOT put them on because I didn't buy it from them although their OEM parts I get FROM a dealership, just not theirs. Total crooks!
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
@youtube.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 11:24 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastActionJax View Post
Yeah I've learned myself that the best way to put it is if you're vehicle is out of warranty you're no longer a valued BMW customer at the dealership. They are crooks!

The company I work for owns a Bmw dealership in South Florida, so as a courtesy my employer will let me buy shippable Bmw parts at cost +10%, now it's not really saving as much as you think because theirs a small margin on Bmw parts but it's something yunno? The dealership here will NOT put them on because I didn't buy it from them although their OEM parts I get FROM a dealership, just not theirs. Total crooks!
Then you are not getting them at true cost +10%.

Considering there are many sites that have 25% to 30% everyday (and clearly they are selling for more than cost +10%).

Seems you are unaware of all the funny money in the Auto business with kickbacks and the like.

But whatever. Interesting they are not even honest with employees.

I know people buying parts at 50% off all the time. They’ve saved me a ton.

That is unless you think a 100% markup isn’t that much.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 11:58 PM   #9
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

Then you are not getting them at true cost +10%.

Considering there are many sites that have 25% to 30% everyday (and clearly they are selling for more than cost +10%).

Seems you are unaware of all the funny money in the Auto business with kickbacks and the like.

But whatever. Interesting they are not even honest with employees.

I know people buying parts at 50% off all the time. They've saved me a ton.

That is unless you think a 100% markup isn't that much.
I work in parts in a dealership my friend. And most small "shippable" parts do have small margins. And the margin on most parts are different ranging from 10-35%, parts are almost never even at 50% markup unless you are getting ripped off by your dealership, which would be selling over recommended retail price which most dealers do anyway. So.... For instance I just bought a Bmw clutch master cylinder for 90 bucks, retail is 113 bucks. Cost was around 81 bucks. Online retailers can sell cheaper cause they bypass wholesale fees
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I work in parts in a dealership my friend. And most small "shippable" parts do have small margins. And the margin on most parts are different ranging from 10-35%, parts are almost never even at 50% markup unless you are getting ripped off by your dealership, which would be selling over recommended retail price which most dealers do anyway. So....
Again, you see invoice.

You are unaware of the funny money.Thats why at 50% off ANY part, a Dealer can still make a profit if they are doing volume once the funny money is taken into consideration.

Again, that’s why many sites are always 25%-30% of MSRP.

And why I can buy anything at a far deeper discount than that.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:02 AM   #11
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I work in parts in a dealership my friend. And most small "shippable" parts do have small margins. And the margin on most parts are different ranging from 10-35%, parts are almost never even at 50% markup unless you are getting ripped off by your dealership, which would be selling over recommended retail price which most dealers do anyway. So....
Again, you see invoice.

You are unaware of the funny money.

Again, that's why many sites are always 25%-30% of MSRP.

And why I can buy anything at a far deeper discount than that.
Bro online retailer can sell things for much cheaper because they bypass the entire wholesale Process, I could buy online but I prefer to support the economy here in Florida and my company if I can
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:05 AM   #12
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bro online retailer can sell things for much cheaper because they bypass the entire wholesale process
ROFLMAO.

I am talking about BMW Dealerships.

And stop and think what you are implying....online retailers can buy OEM Parts from BMW NA cheaper than the Dealerships can?

SMH.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:06 AM   #13
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Bro online retailer can sell things for much cheaper because they bypass the entire wholesale process
ROFLMAO.

And stop and think what you are implying....online retailers can buy OEM Parts from BMW NA cheaper than the Dealerships can?

SMH.
That's my point Dude
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:08 AM   #14
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ROFLMAO.

SMH.
That's my point Dude
Sorry, but online retailers cannot buy cheaper from BMWNA than the Dealers.

Next you'll tell me that online retailers can bypass BMWNA and sell me a car cheaper than a Dealer.

And Dealers get massive kickbacks on parts, depending on volume.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:15 AM   #15
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ROFLMAO.

SMH.
That's my point Dude

And Dealers get massive kickbacks depending on volume.
I never said that, nor does my parts department or any parts department in my entire company get "kickbacks" we lose alot of money over small parts all the time. And to clarify I said online retailers can sell for cheaper because they bypass the whole sale process, but your not seeming to understand what that means. I'm not going to argue with you because I sell parts in a dealership for a living, and a manager at that. So it's not quite worth my time to argue when I know exactly how it works
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:19 AM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ROFLMAO.

SMH.
That's my point Dude

I never said that, nor does my parts department or any parts department in my entire company get "kickbacks" we lose alot of money over small parts all the time. And to clarify I said online retailers can sell for cheaper because they bypass the whole sale process, but your not seeming to understand what that means. I'm not going to argue with you because I sell parts in a dealership for a living, and a manger at that. So it's not quite worth my time to argue when I know exactly how it works
And the only items I have not been able to buy for at minimum 45% off are

1) Car Batteries (only because of shipping)

2) M Performance Parts

3) Replacement Individual Special Order Parts (such as Replacement Leather).

Clearly you are not high enough up the food chain to know what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:22 AM   #17
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ROFLMAO.

SMH.
That's my point Dude

I never said that, nor does my parts department or any parts department in my entire company get "kickbacks" we lose alot of money over small parts all the time. And to clarify I said online retailers can sell for cheaper because they bypass the whole sale process, but your not seeming to understand what that means. I'm not going to argue with you because I sell parts in a dealership for a living, and a manger at that. So it's not quite worth my time to argue when I know exactly how it works

2) M Performance Parts

Haha you crack me up. Good for you! And you're right, I suck and dont know shit
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:35 AM   #18
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ROFLMAO.

SMH.
That's my point Dude

2) M Performance Parts

Clearly....as the largest online discounts are found from Dealers...

Whether:

GetBMWParts.com (BMW of Silver Springs)

BMWPartsPros.com (Steve Thomas BMW)

BMWPartsWarehouse.com (BMW of San Francisco)

BMW of Lincoln Nebraska (forgotten what their site is)

Those are always cheaper than ECS, Summit, etc.

Which, btw, totally contradicts your earlier posts of how they can buy wholesale cheaper than "Dealerships".

Then again, a BMW Dealership in Panama City Florida (or Tallahassee) certainly isn't doing the volume in parts to get the best prices and largest kickbacks.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 12-20-2018 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:42 AM   #19
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ROFLMAO.

SMH.
That's my point Dude

2) M Performance Parts

Clearly....as the largest online discounts are found from Dealers...

Whether:

GetBMWParts.com (BMW of Silver Springs)

BMWPartsPros.com (Steve Thomas BMW)

BMWPartsWarehouse.com (BMW of San Francisco)

BMW of Lincoln Nebraska (forgotten what their site is)

Those are always cheaper than ECS, Summit, etc.

Which, btw, totally contradicts your earlier posts.

Then again, a BMW Dealership in Panama City Florida certainly isn't doing the volume in parts to get the best prices.
Also most those dealerships pay fines for it too for violating the MAP policies. You are so confident but your entire argument is based on speculation. You know little and it shows. Good try though. Also there is no Bmw dealerships here in Panama City. More speculation on your part. You're a winner! You're sure showing me up. Now go google MAP policy, make up a good come back and reply, I'll be waiting on you to own me some more their is a whole lot more that goes into buying and selling parts then you could possibly imagine.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 02:44 AM   #20
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:

There is a clear difference to the way you are treated when the car is still under warranty and to when it has just expired. Once the warranty has expired. Then BMW seem to take the notion that anything that has gone wrong is the customers fault. Even when the car is well below average mileage.
I understand that they are not legally obliged to help. But my car was fixed under warranty and then the same issue came back after the warranty expired.
All I wanted to know was what the cause of the issue was so that I could get it fixed. But I was just fobbed off by the dealership and BMW customer services.
So I was stuck with a car that I couldn't fix or even sell on. There is no extended warranty on warranty repairs either.
BMW warranty is a joke compared to other manufacturers. 3yr 50k miles. When others such as Kia offer 7 yrs or 100k miles. Maybe BMW are not that confident in their own reliability.
I would say they make more money on parts than selling cars. The margin on cars is not that high. Where as you could pay hundreds of pounds on parts. i.e. door mirror glass £370, door switch £150.
So it is in their interest and the dealers interest for cars to fail and sell you parts and labour.
If the car is out of warranty then it makes sense just to buy used parts.
The only good thing is the cars are common and getting hold of most good used parts is easy. BMW quoted me £2.5k for a new diff. I sourced one from Poland including delivery for around £270. I was surpised by the condition of the diff. It looked almost new. There was hardly any corrosion on the it. You save a fortune buying used.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 03:08 AM   #21
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Will you 2 stop quoting each other’s posts and bickering on the OPs threads, create your own where you can quote and argue till the cows come home.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 06:51 AM   #22
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Update-
I spoke to the boss of the dealership. After initially offering to fix it in due course when parts are in stock etc etc by january 22 and me disagreeing with this comprehensively she then went back in and had a chat and came back and told me that it would be ready for pick up by tommorrow!!! and they would repair all of it under warranty!!.
I have removed the name of the dealership from my original post now as I think this is an acceptable outcome.
Appreciate 0