BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Am I okay running 245/40/20 and 275/35/20

12-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Am I okay running 245/40/20 and 275/35/20

The G30 5 series with 20" OEM wheels comes equipped with 245/35/20 fronts and 275/30/20 rears.

My car came with the 19" wheels and I have my eyes on a set of aftermarket 20s.

I'd really like the added protection of a thicker tire. I also think it looks better. I want to know if I will run into any problems if I ran a 245/40 and 275/35 combo.

I've read conflicting information on this forum and can't seem to get a solid answer. Anyone out there running this tire size? Anyone with some real answers?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Those sizes will work.

Just search for G30 with 7 Series G11 wheels and tires, it has been shown a few times on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep

g30.bimmerpost.com
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .BMW. View Post

Thank you for your response. Actually, when I searched the forum your post was one of the first I saw.

Are you still running this tire size? I'm wondering if anyone has experiences any problems with running it long term. What are the disadvantages of running the bigger tires, if any...?

Any advice is appreciated. My local tire guy tells me they will fit but isn't sure if there will be problems in the long run.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #5
Jelston
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan51 View Post
The G30 5 series with 20" OEM wheels comes equipped with 245/35/20 fronts and 275/30/20 rears.

My car came with the 19" wheels and I have my eyes on a set of aftermarket 20s.

I'd really like the added protection of a thicker tire. I also think it looks better. I want to know if I will run into any problems if I ran a 245/40 and 275/35 combo.

I've read conflicting information on this forum and can't seem to get a solid answer. Anyone out there running this tire size? Anyone with some real answers?
Not sure if you have tried this. ut they do offer tire size estimator apps. The one i use is car calculator app.

Its nice to use so you can calculate the correct ratio front and back. the last thing that you would want to have is the front wheels turning at a different rotation and the back and hurt the driveline of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelston View Post
Not sure if you have tried this. ut they do offer tire size estimator apps. The one i use is car calculator app.

Its nice to use so you can calculate the correct ratio front and back. the last thing that you would want to have is the front wheels turning at a different rotation and the back and hurt the driveline of the car.
Can you show me where that website or app is?

@.BMW. has been great in helping me with this issue. He's very knowledgable with this stuff and I'm going to take his word on this. It's going to be a close call

The wheels I ordered are:

Front 20x8.5 +25 offset
Rear 20x10 +36 offset

Last edited by fan51; 12-13-2018 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
Jelston
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M550xi

Quote:
Quote:

Can you show me where that website or app is?

@.BMW. has been great in helping me with this issue. He's very knowledgable with this stuff and I'm going to take his word on this. It's going to be a close call

The wheels I ordered are:

Front 20x8.5 +25 offset
Rear 20x10 +36 offset
I am using Android play store. I would think if you are Apple they would have the same type of apps. here is a screenshot any one of these should. really easy to use. as far as you rims that you selected i wouldn't think you would have a issue. For the winter in decided to go with a 19. but the size is 19x8.5 30 offset. worst case you would run a spacer. I really do think you wouldn't have a issue. Let me know how the App goes for you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #8
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I am using Android play store. I would think if you are Apple they would have the same type of apps. here is a screenshot any one of these should. really easy to use. as far as you rims that you selected i wouldn't think you would have a issue. For the winter in decided to go with a 19. but the size is 19x8.5 30 offset. worst case you would run a spacer. I really do think you wouldn't have a issue. Let me know how the App goes for you.

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated. I'm going to order the tires and keep my fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 10:41 PM   #9
bmwmike01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 19 M550 (on order

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated. I'm going to order the tires and keep my fingers crossed!
I got +5 tires on the sidewall installed last week on my 668m 20s. It's been fine so far to be honest it's a lot more of a comfortable ride and it also increases your height by 1/2 an inch, I no longer scrap the bottom of my bumper when I enter and exit my garage.

At first I was looking out for any tire scraping when I turned or when I hit pothole, didn't hear or feel anything. I purposely was running over potholes to test it. Not sure why Bmw doesn't offer this size as optional, the oem side wall sizes really suck.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 02:09 AM   #10
MRWWW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 540I

fitting this setup 245*35*20 / 275*30*20
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1936.50
      12-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #11
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike01 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I got +5 tires on the sidewall installed last week on my 668m 20s. It's been fine so far to be honest it's a lot more of a comfortable ride and it also increases your height by 1/2 an inch, I no longer scrap the bottom of my bumper when I enter and exit my garage.

At first I was looking out for any tire scraping when I turned or when I hit pothole, didn't hear or feel anything. I purposely was running over potholes to test it. Not sure why Bmw doesn't offer this size as optional, the oem side wall sizes really suck.
Good to know! Would you mind sharing pictures? How close was the fitment?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #12
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Odometer will roll slightly faster as well as your speed
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Brake_Late1936.50
arik1.50
clee1982796.00
      12-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
bmwmike01
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure I will share them later tonight when I get in my car. I gotta say it really enhanced my experience with this car. I'm very happy I did this.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #14
bmwmike01
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is the pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

FYI, your speedometer may be off which will get worse gradually as you go faster.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #16
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
FYI, your speedometer may be off which will get worse gradually as you go faster.
I would say the speedo will be spot on since it reads high with stock tire sizes.
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #17
gti6cyl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Quote:
I would say the speedo will be spot on since it reads high with stock tire sizes.
I read that in my E90 manual, but is that still a "thing" for BMW - where they overestimate the MPH on purpose by like 2 mpg?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #18
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
This is the pics.
Clean those wheels
      01-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #19
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
You are correct. My speedometer always seems to report 1 or 2 mph faster than it really is. I'm comparing it to the GPS speed on my radar detector.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #20
nunosa
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 2018 G31

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is the pics.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is the pics.
Hi bmwmike01

Are the wheels bmw oem or aftermarket?

Thx
      03-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #21
bmwmike01
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunosa View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is the pics.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is the pics.
Hi bmwmike01

Are the wheels bmw oem or aftermarket?

Thx
It's the oem stocks 668m wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #22
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d g31 540i

Discussed this (as id prefer the look of a taller tyre on the 20's) with a former bmw master tech who advised against it ...he said the cars are mapped to a certain circumference tyre and this could cause overgearing and drivetrain wear.
Appreciate 0