F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Water Leak [Solved]
Extreme Powerhouse

12-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #1
AlpinaB3
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 Individual 328i

Lightbulb F30 Water Leak [Solved]

Hi All,

Last winter I noticed the interior of my car was getting humid to the point of condensing on my windows. After a quick inspection my floor was wet in the rear passenger footwell. I was in a pinch and rather than do it myself, I did the unthinkable and took it to the stealership. An hour after leaving it there I got phone call and they told me that my vapour barrier was separating from the door and that the barrier would need to be replaced. So they replaced the vapour barrier and when I arrived they told me it was most likely due to a previous repair done to the window regulator in that door.

As the temps warmed up, and winter became spring, and then summer, my sunroof would always stay venting no matter the weather, so I never noticed the humidity in the car. Now that temps have dropped I noticed that the car was getting humid in side again, and surprise surprise, the same footwell was wet. I did some digging, and spent hours digging though F30Post on wet footwells, and some chap in the UK had his white F31's vapour barrier replaced oddly enough in the same spot as mine!

I was a little cranky after spending a good chunk of change replacing a "faulty" vapour barrier, so I decided that I would do some investigating myself. I took the door apart, (and cracked my ambient lighting ) I spent an hour looking at the vapour barrier, and around the door. It was only until I was ready to give up and reassemble I noticed that a few little black "O" ring on the door panel's clips were missing, and as I looked at the holes missing their rubber O ring, I found the source of the water coming in the car! So I'm pretty excited to say the least about finding the leak, and now concerned about what's beneath the carpet that's been soaked for the last few months.

THE TL;DR:

CHECK THESE CLIPS! And check the door panel clip holes for signs of water intrusion.

The rubber gaskets are easy to miss, and certainly I didn't know this, and that they needed the rubber O Ring's - so hopefully someone can learn from this, and save themselves a trip to the shop!
Appreciate 6
ronanz1819.50
adhrp1303.00
chiefneil771.50
Noelified228.00
      12-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Sweeney921
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW E39 M5

Garage List
Great find, and thanks for sharing! We need more informative threads like this.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Excellent - thanks for sharing and saving others tons of (wasted) time!

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
AlpinaB3
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 Individual 328i

No Problem! I never saw this posted in the forum so I though I'd share and save someone the misery of hunting down a water leak!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
angel486
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS 2020 M8CV

Garage List
2020 BMW M8  [0.00]
2020 BMW M8  [0.00]
2020 BMW M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinaB3 View Post
Hi All,

Last winter I noticed the interior of my car was getting humid to the point of condensing on my windows. After a quick inspection my floor was wet in the rear passenger footwell. I was in a pinch and rather than do it myself, I did the unthinkable and took it to the stealership. An hour after leaving it there I got phone call and they told me that my vapour barrier was separating from the door and that the barrier would need to be replaced. So they replaced the vapour barrier and when I arrived they told me it was most likely due to a previous repair done to the window regulator in that door.

As the temps warmed up, and winter became spring, and then summer, my sunroof would always stay venting no matter the weather, so I never noticed the humidity in the car. Now that temps have dropped I noticed that the car was getting humid in side again, and surprise surprise, the same footwell was wet. I did some digging, and spent hours digging though F30Post on wet footwells, and some chap in the UK had his white F31's vapour barrier replaced oddly enough in the same spot as mine!

I was a little cranky after spending a good chunk of change replacing a "faulty" vapour barrier, so I decided that I would do some investigating myself. I took the door apart, (and cracked my ambient lighting ) I spent an hour looking at the vapour barrier, and around the door. It was only until I was ready to give up and reassemble I noticed that a few little black "O" ring on the door panel's clips were missing, and as I looked at the holes missing their rubber O ring, I found the source of the water coming in the car! So I'm pretty excited to say the least about finding the leak, and now concerned about what's beneath the carpet that's been soaked for the last few months.

THE TL;DR:

CHECK THESE CLIPS! And check the door panel clip holes for signs of water intrusion.

The rubber gaskets are easy to miss, and certainly I didn't know this, and that they needed the rubber O Ring's - so hopefully someone can learn from this, and save themselves a trip to the shop!
NICE JOB
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #6
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
Nice find and huge thanks for FYI!
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 0