E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Getting my brakes replaced under warranty

07-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Getting my brakes replaced under warranty

Hey,
I'm getting my brakes replaced under warranty under advice from the great minds at E90Post.com as opposed to upgrading to DBA/Hawk. Now my only problem with this is that I don't trust my dealership up at school. The last time they did my brakes in my X5, the brakes stopped working after a 300 mi trip and I almost died :-P How should I treat this situation? My plan was to simply say "Please don't take this the wrong way, but could you take some extra care in this installation. Last time you did a brake job for me the brakes stopped working after 300 miles and I almost died...". Any other suggestions? Also...I'm trying to get this done under warranty without the "brake light" coming on. My brakes are just getting low and I want them to be fresh for the track... Any suggestions for forcing them to do it under warranty even if it's not "necessary?"

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by longodj; 07-14-2008 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Mojave335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Do you know enough about brakes to check their work afterwards? I think asking the Service Manager to make sure things are done right is fair ,but if you could also check things yourself afterwards then you could protect yourself. I have done my brakes forever and I am sure you could come up to speed quickly if you are not familiar with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

What?!? Almost died?!?! Geez, I'd be very aggressive towards them if that were me. I can't stand some dealerships...thinking they're the shit just because they are "BMW" branded. I can walk into any Toyota/Lexus/Acura/Honda dealership and they will kiss my ass, not the other way around. Make sure they get the job done right, this isn't a joke when you refer to brakes. good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
What?!? Almost died?!?! Geez, I'd be very aggressive towards them if that were me. I can't stand some dealerships...thinking they're the shit just because they are "BMW" branded. I can walk into any Toyota/Lexus/Acura/Honda dealership and they will kiss my ass, not the other way around. Make sure they get the job done right, this isn't a joke when you refer to brakes. good luck
Yea...I also plan on bedding them in per Zeckhausen's instructions after they're done to make sure nothing goes awry. I suppose the personally checking it bit makes obvious sense

In terms of the almost dying bit...lets just say there's a really hilly road near my house in Jersey that I like to whip threw and it's really dependent on hitting the damn brakes at the end of it because there's a tree in front of the stop sign and it didn't work so I had to blow the stop sign and whip around and I had a bit of tail spin etc.....it was bad. Nothing happened luckily but...*rabble rabble angry mob rabble*.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

are breaks under warranty for all BMWs? i have a 2oo8 coupe.... financed, are you telling me thats covered. ive heard back and forth on this one.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

could you elaborate more on the whole 'brakes didn't work' situation? I'm trying to envision how this would happen from the installation process, and the only thing i can think of is that they did not push the brake pedal a few times after the install was complete to make sure the pads were fully seated against the rotors. was that stop sign the first time you applied the brakes after the install?

did you perform a pad bed-in procedure prior to your heavy brake application? i find that brand new pads I've installed do not have good initial bite until they have been through the bed-in process.

i think non functional brakes is something well worth doing a post mortem on
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywire View Post
are breaks under warranty for all BMWs? i have a 2oo8 coupe.... financed, are you telling me thats covered. ive heard back and forth on this one.

thanks.
wow who was your sales guy? yes covered 4years or 50k unlimited break pads and rotors so go drive that pig like its meant to be driven HARD
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedoutbimmer View Post
wow who was your sales guy? yes covered 4years or 50k unlimited break pads and rotors so go drive that pig like its meant to be driven HARD
whaa?? I thought it was once a year o_o
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
brakes are covered under full maintenance, as the service minder dictates.

OP, you could push your SA to determine full replacement of brake pads (usually there is a certain allowance on his discretion). I had a pair replaced eventhough minder said 3k miles left.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedoutbimmer View Post
Dubbed, youre absolutley right questioning that...LoL! Even tho he was a killer nice guy, he didnt sell ANY OF THAT SHI@T, like...at all. I had girlfriend of mine pose as my wife when looking at the cars and making the purchase and we both had made comments after the fact that he really didnt sell the car. Didnt tell me about a shi@tload of the features, the real neat stuff like REPLACING BRAKES AND ROTORS!!! hahahahahaha, im going to have to drive the fu@k out of it at one point and make sure i get set up with a good set before my warranty is done...unfortunately for YOU to hear " I DRIVE IT LIKE A GRANDPA " in fact, i would probabaly piss you off if you were behind me LOL (and im 3o years old.)

In his defence tho, I didnt make it to hard for him to sell...i basically put down a huge down payment and said " I want ______ " - nice guy rating A+

sales person rating C.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
///AFRO
Stage 1 Juice Box - Boosted'
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 07 AW E92-335i TT

wow

2007 335i -Coupe Alpine White
Mods: JB1 | Exposed Intercooler | Black Grills/Emblems | Golf-Tee Mod | Reflectors | 35% Tints
Next: Aero-Lip | H&R Race Srings | Dual Cone Intake | Straight-Pipes
Soon: 2006 ///M3 Coupe Imola Red - [CSL Project]
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
Haywire
Canada
Rep

ok, heres a question...and please only answer if you KNOW, beyond a shadow of a DOUBT...that you are MOST ABSOLUTELY and most DEFINITE about your answer.

Im a canuck, eh... and i read in the canadian forums that they ARENT covered, then some people say that they brought them into the dealership and they told them to go eat bricks.

is this an amercian / canadian thing. or as long as you own your car under warranty, financed or leased...you can rest assured that if you have any brake and rotor issues (from wear and tear) that they would, and should be replaced without cost, or question, by the dealership.

thank you.

LoL.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Um...so....wow....I'm in shock

First of all, my brakes pads were at about 50% all around so I'm OK for now.

Second of all, well I would post the conversation but I don't know how monitored these forums are. The long and short of it is that my SA told me that I tracked my car. I sort of went uh..yea...if you are ok with it then yes I do. He said there was an over temp marker for my brake fluid. They proceeded to give me advice on taking care of my car at the track, and then told me that they worded my complaint and their response differently to protect me in case I go to get my brakes replaced under warranty again later.

Wow....just wow....
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #14
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

What makes you think they'll even consider replacing them under warranty before they're ready? I can't imagine them doing this for you but good luck and let us know how it works out...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
He said there was an over temp marker for my brake fluid. They proceeded to give me advice on taking care of my car at the track,
that sounds like a great place to get your car serviced. Can you post the advice they gave you?

off topic, but it seems like the ECU is very big brother-like in the things it monitors
Appreciate 0