BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
dillon733
Major
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3

Wheel sealent

anyone seal there wheels yet? i heard it protects them and makes it easier to clean. I just ordered some from poorboys world, its suposed to be the best wheel sealent. has anyone done this before? how do you do it? i assume you use a wax aplicator applying it in small cirles like you would wax a car and then with a microfiber cloth wipe off after it starts to haze. is this correct? when you wipe it off with the mf cloth do you wipe in circles or side to side, (i dont want to leave marks) or does it not matter? i know this may sound dumb, but i dont want to screw up my new wheels by having wax swirl marks. i have checked out detailing forums but couldnt find anything. please help.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon733 View Post
anyone seal there wheels yet? i heard it protects them and makes it easier to clean. I just ordered some from poorboys world, its suposed to be the best wheel sealent. has anyone done this before? how do you do it? i assume you use a wax aplicator applying it in small cirles like you would wax a car and then with a microfiber cloth wipe off after it starts to haze. is this correct? when you wipe it off with the mf cloth do you wipe in circles or side to side, (i dont want to leave marks) or does it not matter? i know this may sound dumb, but i dont want to screw up my new wheels by having wax swirl marks. i have checked out detailing forums but couldnt find anything. please help.
Regular car wax or paint sealant should be just fine. Special wheel waxes (or sealants) are a solution is search of a problem, AFAIK.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Mr.AK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 e92

I just applied the product WHEEL WAX sold in my BMW parts shop. I don't understand what "wheel waxes are a solution in search of a problem" is trying to get at (please explain). If this a dangerous product or could destroy my 19" PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I must say, they do look better after the waxing. Is it worth the brutal hand workout?... I think so! In response to the buffing procedure...the rims don't scratch. You are describing the correct procedure for waxing the paint. The rims have no clear coat so buff them whatever direction you want, they will not be damaged!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

I bought the Poorboy's wheel sealant from detailedimage last week. It arrived today and I'll be applying it tomorrow, i'll let you know how it goes...
      07-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Wheel waxes/sealants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.AK View Post
I I don't understand what "wheel waxes are a solution in search of a problem" is trying to get at (please explain).
I thought I did explain it. My point is that specialized waxes for your wheels, IMO, are somewhat of a gimmick. Regular car wax works just fine.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
Mr.AK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

OK, gotcha! No doubt, but let me tell you i'm starting to think everything in the car care world is a gimmick. Claims with no actual science to back it up. I used to think paying top dollar for a product ensured its safety and reliability. NOT TRUE! I agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
dillon733
Major
Rep

thanks everyone for you quick responces i look forward to hearing rickc's opinion on poorboys product
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Mr.AK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Dillon, I have a new finding that i wanna share with you. I take back what I said above. I just took a look at my 19" to inspect for scratches. Yes, i found small scratches in the metal that could have been only caused by washing or waxing. I was told not worry about about scratching the rims during the washing process but it appears that was BS info as usual. Looks like my attention to detail has just intensified!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #9
dillon733
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.AK View Post
Dillon, I have a new finding that i wanna share with you. I take back what I said above. I just took a look at my 19" to inspect for scratches. Yes, i found small scratches in the metal that could have been only caused by washing or waxing. I was told not worry about about scratching the rims during the washing process but it appears that was BS info as usual. Looks like my attention to detail has just intensified!
thanks i appreciate the feedback. when i apply it i will definatley pay close attention to detail, although i want to stop the break dust and pitting, but i dont wan to end up with scratches.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc View Post
I bought the Poorboy's wheel sealant from detailedimage last week. It arrived today and I'll be applying it tomorrow, i'll let you know how it goes...
Sorry, still haven't done the wheel sealant. I did clean & condition my leather with Zaino Z9 and Z10, respectively... both phenomenal products. I'll update when I do the sealant on the wheels.
      07-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
When I detail wheels I use ChemicalGuys JetSeal109. It yields better protection then a "wheel wax", or a "wheel sealant", but it also brings out some depth and clarity. JetSeal109 is a great product (my favorite sealant) and as far as sealants go it is the best looking on any surface be it paint or metal. The only thing other sealants have on JetSeal109 is durability. JetSeal does not last as long as other sealants.

If you want to keep it cheaper, then I would go with ChemicalGuys Wheel Guard. It offers good protection and shine at a great value.

Make sure to follow it with a QucikDetailer (preferably a anti-static QD) to help more with repelling break dust. If you are in the market for a new QD, then check out FK425 (its pink), or CG SpeedWipe (its pink as well). They are my favorite QD's and both have anti-static properties.

Feel free to ask more question if you have the itch!

Thanks,

Jared
      07-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon733 View Post
thanks everyone for you quick responces i look forward to hearing rickc's opinion on poorboys product
Ok, so I finally tried out the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant and here is my experience...

I cleaned my OEM 18" wheels with Chemical Guys Grime Reaper and a wheel brush, washed, then dried. I then applied the sealant in a thin layer with a run-of-the-mill foam applicator pad and left it on for about 15 minutes before wiping clean with a MF towel. Wheels felt much smoother to the touch than pre-sealant, similar to the way car paint feels before and after wax. The true test will be seeing if the wheels are much easier to clean (hoping for less scrubbing) after they get dirty again. Also, I think the sealant might help to lessen the accumulation of brake dust/grime, so the wheels should stay cleaner for longer.

So far... I give the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant a thumbs up!

OEM 18's are no fun to clean, too many grooves everywhere.
      07-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
johnL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

I use rejex for my wheels. The wheels are so much easier to clean with a coat of sealant.
Appreciate 0