BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Idrive screen stays on

10-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Idrive screen stays on

Let me apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to master the art of turning off my car. Sometimes when i stop the car, and hit the on/off button, then open the door, the idrive screen and dash stay on. Sometimes I do the same sequence, and everything turns off as soon as I pop the door open.

Also, once in a while the ambient lighting stays on, and everything else turns off. The ambient lighting will stay on for hours on its own, until I start the car, then shut down again.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #2
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmfive View Post
Let me apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to master the art of turning off my car. Sometimes when i stop the car, and hit the on/off button, then open the door, the idrive screen and dash stay on. Sometimes I do the same sequence, and everything turns off as soon as I pop the door open.

Also, once in a while the ambient lighting stays on, and everything else turns off. The ambient lighting will stay on for hours on its own, until I start the car, then shut down again.

Thanks
There is no stupid questions here. That's why this forum is here!!
For ambiance light not sure why would stay on for hours unless maybe not having door closed, normally by looking the door it should turn off.

As far as the dash and radio and so on, it stays on until you look the door.

What you can do is turn off the car and press Volume button for 2 sec and it will turns off the dash/ radio ....
Hope this helps
emmfive73.50
ST3329.00
      10-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

It happens to me also.

most times I turn off the car, open the door and everything turns off.

Other times I open the door but Idrive screen and dash stays on. Have to lock the doors and they shut down.
Appreciate 1
emmfive73.50
      10-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever34 View Post
It happens to me also.

most times I turn off the car, open the door and everything turns off.

Other times I open the door but Idrive screen and dash stays on. Have to lock the doors and they shut down.

Thanks good to know I'm not overlooking something!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 08:34 PM   #5
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Quote:

Thanks
For ambiance light not sure why would stay on for hours unless maybe not having door closed, normally by looking the door it should turn off.

What you can do is turn off the car and press Volume button for 2 sec and it will turns off the dash/ radio ....
Hope this helps
Thanks didn't know about the volume button trick
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #6
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

Hope this helps
Thanks didn't know about the volume button trick
This is the beauty of forum, sharing information
      10-23-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

Does this car not operate like other BMWs in that one push of the on/off button kills the engine and a second push kills the accessory power including lights, radio, etc?
      10-23-2018, 09:37 PM   #8
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gassy View Post
Does this car not operate like other BMWs in that one push of the on/off button kills the engine and a second push kills the accessory power including lights, radio, etc?
No, I wish it would
      10-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

I'm often early at appointments , and to avoid all the electronics to stay on I juste press on the "option" button right below the iDrive scroll thing and then I choose "shut off the vehicle" and all the lights/screen go to sleep
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Im not by my manual but I had this issue too where it would only turn off if I locked the car. There is a setting in the I drive called something like "turn car off" or close to that in vehicles setting. Once you activate this the car will be full turned off if you do the following:

Turn off the car via the stop start button but do not open the door, once you open the door all the power is off. If you open the door and then turn the car off via the stop start button, the I drive will remain on even after you shut the door and you will have to lock the car or re open the door and shut it which will shut off all the power.

Annoying.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #11
btsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

I also had this issue with my F90, it would only turn off when I locked the doors. I'm now driving a new 340i as a service loaner and it does the exact same thing...perhaps this is as the German engineers intended?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Im not by my manual but I had this issue too where it would only turn off if I locked the car. There is a setting in the I drive called something like "turn car off" or close to that in vehicles setting. Once you activate this the car will be full turned off if you do the following:

Turn off the car via the stop start button but do not open the door, once you open the door all the power is off. If you open the door and then turn the car off via the stop start button, the I drive will remain on even after you shut the door and you will have to lock the car or re open the door and shut it which will shut off all the power.

Annoying.
Vic I think you nailed it. I think I was getting too hasty and opening the door first before hitting the button, or doing them at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 10:46 PM   #13
Roach
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2015 M5 (traded)

I've had the same issue. It doesn't seem to be like the last gen where the second press turned everything off. I've come back hours later and the ambient lights were still on. I'm not great at locking the car at my office when it's right outside. But it's the only way I know everything is turned off.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:53 AM   #14
South Ocean1
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 & 14 GL63 & 14 S6

Quote:

Thanks
Emmfive:

Thank you for asking this very simple but really good question! I couldn't figure out whether I was doing something different every time I got out of the car as sometimes it would shut off and other times not.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #15
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

It's odd and annoying, but it's supposed to stay on, until you either lock the doors or your passenger gets out. The system is supposed to stay on, for a passenger remaining in the car, to remain "entertained". Very stupid and should only be activated like an air bag, if weight is in the seat!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #16
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:

Hope this helps
I have to try this!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #17
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegelein View Post
It's odd and annoying, but it's supposed to stay on, until you either lock the doors or your passenger gets out. The system is supposed to stay on, for a passenger remaining in the car, to remain "entertained". Very stupid and should only be activated like an air bag, if weight is in the seat!
This is happening without a passenger
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #18
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Understood, but the car doesn't know that. That's why I said it should operate like a passenger airbag / activated by weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #19
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Understood, but the car doesn't know that. That's why I said it should operate like a passenger airbag / activated by weight.
Ok. However, That would not explain why sometimes everything shuts off when you open the door and sometimes it does not.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #20
LexProf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

If I remember correctly, it has to do with whether your foot was on the brake pedal or not at the time you shut off the car. I'm not in my car now, but I think if you have the brake on at shut off, the behaviour at shut down changes, compared to you having the car in park, with your foot not on the brake pedal, and then you shut down. Try that and let us know if that's it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #21
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ok. However, That would not explain why sometimes everything shuts off when you open the door and sometimes it does not.
Hmmmmm, always seems to stay on for me. It's a ridiculous feature
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #22
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Hmmmmm, always seems to stay on for me. It's a ridiculous feature
did you see this.... I fixed mine by going in the I drive settngs and adjusting...

Quote:

Annoying.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0